It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Daily Shut Down / Now Tsh 0.8 ( Was 150 ) - T4 17 ? Is This Normal ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
    peggatypawz
    (female)

peggatypawz HB User
    Daily Shut Down / Now Tsh 0.8 ( Was 150 ) - T4 17 ? Is This Normal ?

can anyone shed light ? hypothryoid for last year - was ok - suffered from all of the below on & off but for the last week i have been suffering from daily shut down - which goes in peaks, bad for 10 mins, then after effect for anything upto 4 hours, then ok, then could happen again / have to sit, then just wait for energy levels to pick up / cannot concentrate / slurred speech some stuttering / face, arms , legs bloating , MASSIVE pressure , not pain, in very back of head -
    on 150mg levothyroxine -
    Went to dr, as had ANOTHER attack - and after much debate got two results from him - he did NOT want to give me these - tsh now 0.8 ( was 150 ) and t4 - 17 - does this shed light?
    male dr also told me that thyroid DOES NOT cause speech problems, and memory / brain problems - i have to keep an open mind, and await consultant appt in a few weeks. Apparently I could be phycosymatic or im having panic attacks.? - I KNOW MY SPEECH / CONCENTRATION PROBS ARE EFFECTED BY MY THROID!!!
    im so angry - should have waited to see my usual lady dr who is much more understanding, and does not think im putting it on !
    it would be great if you could come up with something, i could take and show her on monday !
    many thanks ! - you are a lifesaver !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Daily Shut Down / Now Tsh 0.8 ( Was 150 ) - T4 17 ? Is This Normal ?

I replied to the other post. But you appear to be over medicated now.. the TSH is not bad.. it is very close to the optimal 1. But the T4 is high if the lab ranges are comparable to mine.. upper limit was 12.5. Medication induced hyper thyroid can cause the following symptoms:
    Adverse reactions associated with levothyroxine therapy are primarily those of hyperthyroidism due to therapeutic overdosage (see PRECAUTIONS and OVERDOSAGE). They include the following:

General - fatigue, increased appetite, weight loss, heat intolerance, fever, excessive sweating;
    Central nervous system - headache, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, irritability, emotional lability, insomnia;
    Musculoskeletal - tremors, muscle weakness;
    Cardiovascular - palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmias, increased pulse and blood pressure, heart failure, angina, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;
    Respiratory - dyspnea;
    Gastrointestinal - diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and elevations in liver function tests;
    Dermatologic- hair loss, flushing;
    Endocrine- decreased bone mineral density;
    Reproductive - menstrual irregularities, impaired fertility.

Seizures have been reported rarely with the institution of levothyroxine therapy.

Inadequate levothyroxine dosage will produce or fail to ameliorate the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Hypersensitivity reactions to inactive ingredients have occurred in patients treated with thyroid hormone products. These include urticaria, pruritus, skin rash, flushing, angioedema, various GI symptoms (abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), fever, arthralgia, serum sickness and wheezing. Hypersensitivity to levothyroxine itself is not known to occur.

There are a huge list of drug interactions as well with thyroxine.. steming from iodine to things with soy and minerals in it. How are you taking your T4 supplement and what are you taking with it?

What about diet? Did you know of the drug-food interactions? Drug-Food Interactions: Consumption of certain foods affect levothyroxine absorption thereby necessitating adjustments in dosing. Soybean flour (infant formula), soy milk, soy protien powder, energy drinks, cotton seed meal, walnuts, and dietary fiber may bind and decrease the absorption of levothyroxine sodium from the GI tract. Certain mineral supplements also should be used with caution.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread