It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid symptoms, even when levels ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
    twinstarz76
    (female)

twinstarz76 HB User
    Hypothyroid symptoms, even when levels ok?

Hi everyone...

I haven't posted for a couple years (since I was diagnosed with hypo)... but was hoping for some feedback from fellow sufferers. I went to the doctor about 3 years ago with complaints of tingling in my extremities, fatigue, etc.. he ran full bloodwork and found my thyroid levels to be slightly off. Granted, I am not one with severe issues... My TSH was at 5.60 when I was diagnosed. I was put on Armour and my symptoms seemed to alleviate- up until now. I thought for sure my levels were off again so I requested bloodwork from my doc, which came back within range. I have had tingling on and off in my extremities for about a month now, itchy skin with no apparent rash, even some trouble swallowing at times. Does anyone else experience these types of symptoms while their levels are in good range? I keep thinking about it and freaking myself out that there might be something else wrong with me, like MS. I expressed concern to my doc about MS and he asked a few questions and ruled me out as a candidate... he asked me about dropping things, coordination, etc... and all of that has been fine with me. I also do not have trouble with my eyes, which many people seem to experience when they have MS. I think back to troubles I've had and get worried though- I've had major night "jerks"- my bf even used to say he thought I was joking around when I did it... slurred speech and memory probs at times... I don't know, I just worry about early symptoms of MS and how they coordinate so closely with Hypothyroid symptoms.

Any feedback to this rambling message will be happily appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid symptoms, even when levels ok?

Would you mind posting your test results here? If you don't have copies of your bloodwork, then get them, even if its just for your own reference.

Does your dr test your FreeTs in addition to the TSH? Have you ever had your TPO and anti-Tg antibodies tested? If not, find a new dr. TSH is NOT the gold standard many docs make it out to be.

While we're talking testing, I'd also suggest getting your ferritin, vit D, and B-vits tested. Many hypo folks are deficient in these nutrients and most docs won't test for them until asked. Deficiencies in any or all of these can cause symptoms similar to hypo so its good to get this checked out.

Something else to think about. Low calcium levels can cause tingling in the extremities. Serum calcium probably won't be off, so I suggest getting an RBC elements blood test, which will test what's in the tissue rather than just what's circulating. The body tries to keep the serum calcium at a steady level and will take calcium from the bones and tissues in order to keep that steady level.

Please keep us posted.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I agree with Nyxie. Post your labs and look into additional testing. When you are hypo you are most likely to be defiecient in some of these areas. I was having major tingling and my B12 tested at 536 (200-1100 range) and my GP told me I was 'in range'. Then my naturopath told me they recommend supplements for anyone under 800. Started taking the sublingual B12 and immediately noticed an improvement with getting my eyes to focus (has this issue too but thought it was from being hypo, not B12 deficient) and then the tingling went away as well. In fact you could start a B12 supplement now to see if it helps. Your body cannot get too mucy B12, the body automatically discreets any excess you don't need.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
    twinstarz76
    (female)

twinstarz76 HB User

Thank you so much for the feedback... I actually went back and pulled my original bloodwork results from when I was diagnosed- this is the only full bloodwork I have (everything else was testing for TSH levels only). My B12 is kind of low, I tested at 265. The labs even say that patients under 300 PG/ML may experience "neuropsychiatric or hematologic abnormalities." Looks like I should get on a supplement. As for more specific testing for my thyroid, I've never had it done- and I've gotten bloodwork done at my family doctor along with two different endocrinologists. You would think out of all those doctors, one of them would have tested for more than just TSH levels. I will definitely try the B12 supplement and see if this tingling and other weirdness subsides and hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I'll pester my docs for more detailed thyroid tests. Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

WOW ~ none of these docs recommended B12??? I would either start using megadoses of B12 or talk to your doc about getting B12 injections. Your levels are VERY low.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
    twinstarz76
    (female)

twinstarz76 HB User

I think my family doctor may have mentioned that the B12 was a little low- honestly I don't remember- that lab was from the end of 2004 and he's never mentioned it since. At that time he may have suggested supplements (never injections), but didn't make a strong point of it. And what's weird is this last time I went to him just a few weeks ago I was complaining of the tingling and he just assumed it was the thyroid. Ran the labs, TSH was ok, he wrote me a new prescription upping my Armour dosage very slightly to see if that would help. Nothing further was done. I realize I need to be responsible for my own health and well being, but I don't think I should be the one who has to present every possibility of what might be wrong with me and request appropriate tests. Isn't that what we pay doctors inordinate amounts of money for? LOL Anyway, I'm really glad I posted here and I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
    Lisa773
    (female)

Lisa773 HB User
    Smile Re: Hypothyroid symptoms, even when levels ok?

Hey, I have been diagnoised as hypo. My Dr. always checks for my B12, and all levels of my thyroid and he checks my potassium. The thyroid as you know is a very complicated element. It rules your whole body. I have just found out about this healthboards .com. I love it. I have learned so much. I hope I can pass on a little something to help someone else. I always have a shoulder if nothing else. I have panic attacks and aneixty along with hypo. Never be afraid to talk to your Dr.

Hang in there

Last edited by Lisa773; 10-28-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
    freje
    (female)

freje HB User

I will weigh in on this too. I have just been in the middle of a Synthroid dosage increase since early August. I am now on .137, this being the third dosage increase since August. For 10 years I was on 0.1 monitored by my PCP, and labs were coming back "fine", though for the last couple years I didn't ask specifics. Then this summer I decided to go back to an endocrinologist, my labs were done, and they were totally out of whack. My cholesterol was 240 as well!
    (with healthy diet efforts too) weight gain of 15 lbs with no change of diet, and the fatigue was there for sure. I'm still within normal BMI, but it's still distressing when I know my diet has been strictly followed. So, anyway, my latest labs are great, TSH is now 0.96 (was 4.4 three weeks ago), and my free T4 is 1.6. I'm feeling better, but as my endocrinologist states, he is not just treating my lab results. So that's my point, it's not just labs that make up the person! If I still don't feel up to par, I'm speaking up, and I think I'll be heard.

Closed Thread