It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• how long does it take for levothroid to start working

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
    lleinenger
    (female)

lleinenger HB User
    how long does it take for levothroid to start working

How long does it take for levothroid to start working? I was taking synthroid and it worked right away. I got laid off from work, had no insurance to cover any Dr. app's or meds. So. i have been without any meds for about 4 mos. I m feeling really bad. I can't concentrate, I cry all the time, get moody, musclecramps, memory loss ect. It takes a long time for me to do anything. I have to stop and thank about what im doing, it makes me feel like my brian is all messed up. Went to the Dr. and she put me on levothroid. Its been 8 days now and still feeling bad. My insurance only covers generic Is it my thyroid or am I going into deression?

Last edited by lleinenger; 11-03-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: how long does it take for levothroid to start working

I'm sorry I just saw your question. Are you still with us?

Your low thyroid condition can absolutely have profound effects on your mood. The Levothroid's active ingredient is the same as Synthroid's, although any given patient doesn't always get the same result from switching the meds. You'll have to wait and see whether the switch will be successful for you. If you felt well on Synthroid but find that the Levo isn't doing the same for you, tell your MD. He may be able to give you Synthroid from his samples supply, or you may be able to get Synthroid at reduced or no cost from the manufacturer by applying to their program.

If you've been without med for 4 months, you've suffered a significant setback, and it may take some time to get back on track.

Let us know if we can help further. We'll try to give you a speedier answer next time.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-10-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
    lleinenger
    (female)

lleinenger HB User

Thanks for the reply Midwest1
    Yes Im still here! eventhough im still feeling pertty bad. Still not myslf. But getting better. I think!? you ere right i,m having a big set back with my thyriod. I have been reading some of these thrads. Some of them was talking about about weight loss. I'm only 85 LBs I an cant lose any weight. So, this worries me. (I v been this small all my lfe.)Im taking 100 mg of levothroid. could this be a problem for me? i dont have the results of the blood work,yet and i dont know what kind of test the DR ran. The office called and said the Dr wants to see me. now im scard!!! Why would she want to see me and not tell me over the phone? i go Nov 26. I so glad i found this site! It gives me some one to talk to thats been there and done that. No one i talk to seems to understnd whats its like to be this sick. All my childern get upset with me becuse i dont unerstand some things or cry because i dont get it. Thank you for all the info that you cne give me. PLESE forgive my spelling Im still having a hard time concentating.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I feel bad for you... That "brain fog" was the absolute worst part for me of being hypo. Have faith that it will get better with the right dosage and enough time. Remember, though, that if it doesn't go away, you should not try to just live with it. Not every MD knows what he/she is doing when it comes to treating thyroid; if the treatment doesn't work for you, it's because it isn't the right one and needs to be switched up!

You've been on the Levothroid for about 3 weeks, now, right? It's getting to the point that it should start helping some. If it doesn't make sure to let the MD know when you see her that you felt better on Synthroid. I'm not sure, but she may be able to file an appeal with your insurance to make them pay for genuine Synthroid. If that's not possible, ask about Synth's assistance program; if she doesn't know anything about that or can't help, contact them yourself. Not every levothyroxine product works the same way for every person. You need to find the best one for you.

How old are your children? Old enough to reason with and get them to understand?

I started treatment in Oct '03. That Christmas was the pits! I could barely get done what I had to do, and had to leave the unnecessary things to go undone. Without my husband to help, I never could have gotten the big holiday meal on the table. I'm lucky too that my kids are grown and would never expect me to do the usual while so sick. It's hard enough being sick; please don't let guilt weigh you down even further.

Don't worry about your weight. Not every hypo person gets every hypo symptom. If it hasn't been an issue for you all your life, it probably won't be now.

As for whether 100 mcgs is too much for you... I have to say "maybe", at least for the time being. If you had been without any med at all for 4 months, your thyroid levels were probably rock bottom. Starting back at a higher dose might have sent your system into a kind of shock that would make you feel pretty awful. Most starting doses are about 50 mcgs. and are built up from there.

If you are still feeling as awful as you were when you first wrote this, without any improvement at all, why don't you see if you can get to the doc as soon as possible instead of waiting till the 26th? If she's worth her salt, she won't want to make you suffer 2 weeks longer. Oh, and don't be scared that there is terrible news waiting for you. If it were genuinely terrible, she wouldn't wait to tell you; she would have told you when you got the call.

If you can get a copy of Thyroid for Dummies from your public library or bookstore, it will help you to understand what the disease is doing to you and what it will take to make it better. It's pretty easy to understand, even while in that brain fog!

Stay in touch. The board is a great place to vent when you're loved ones have had enough.

Closed Thread