It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High TSH, normal T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
    Yueder
    (female)

Yueder HB User
    High TSH, normal T4

I had a TSH of 7.1 and normal T4. Started with 0.025mg Thyrax (levothyroxine) and two weeks later increased to 0.050mg. On third week, the TSH level is 0.47 and T4, T3 are normal. After the third week I felt dizzy and muscle pain, so decreased thyrax to 0.025mg. Another two weeks later I still do not feel well, so increase thyrax to 0.037mg. I do not have energy and felt sick, like to have constant flue all the time, heavy head, muscle pain on my arm and legs, too weak to walk and can not concentrate. If I have to concentrate then I feel nausea and sick. My blood pressure is low and inconsistent, once it was 47 -110. It has been two month already with thyrax but I did not feel much better, the weakness on my leg is even worse. I felt sleepy all the time at start and later on I could not sleep. I woke up almost every night. I feel irritated and stressed. The doctor told me that there might be something wrong beside of the hypothyroidism, sine I had only sub-clinical hypothyroidism. But the blood test was ok. So what is wrong?

My questions is, the TSH, T3 and T4 levels are normal for 5 weeks already, why I still feel sick? The doctor did blood test and found no infections. If I have/had hypothyroidism, how long will it take to get energy back?

I feel some day better and some day worse, is it possible that the hormone level is unstable and cause hypo and hyper changes that make me sick? If this is the case, how long will it take to stabilize the hormone levels?

Before I started the thyrax, I had red rash on my skin and the doctor said it might be virus infection but what kind of virus was not determined. Is it possible that the high TSH is related to the virus infection, that explains why the TSH level went done so quickly. If this is the case, shoud I stop the thyrax? Can I feel sick because of taking thyrax when my body does not need extra synthetic thyrax?

I am waiting for the internist to help but it will take weeks before I can get help. I am looking forward to your comments.

Thanks Alice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: High TSH, normal T4

No, I don't think a virus would raise your TSH. I do think you are genuinely hypothyroid.

I experienced the same kind of problem when I started the leading brand of T4 sold in the US, Synthroid. It hit me like a ton of bricks, dropping my TSH fast and raising my T4 and T3 rapidly to hyper levels. Being hyper feels just as bad - maybe worse - than hypothyroidism. I ended up having to quit this medicine, but found I could easily tolerate a prescription-strength, natural dessicated thyroid product. I've been doing well on it for about 4 years now.

My suggestion is to try another brand or type of thyroid medicine rather than to stop treating your hypoT altogether. There are real differences between the way the various ones work for individual patients.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

I agree with Midwest. Not all meds work the same on all people and sometimes you have to hunt and peck so to speak to find the one that works best for you.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I would also recommend trying to stick at a certain level of medication for a while and then get re-tested to see where you are at. Your body cannot get adjusted to the amount of hormone in your body if you change it every week.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
    dkilrain
    (female)

dkilrain HB User
    Thumbs up Re: High TSH, normal T4

You do need to stay on one dose for a while for things to level out. It is a drag to wait to feel better. I know. I kept being told that I would feel better immediately and it was about 6 months until I felt better. You are on a low dose so wouldn't think it would take too long to get stabilized.

Sounds like your dose was best when your TSH was around .47. I feel best when my TSH is between .5 and .78.

It did take a while for the flu like symptons, foggy brain, and fatigue to go away. You may also want to be tested by a rheumatologist due to your symptoms. However you need to find a good one. The first one I went to was a quack. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which means your body is attacking the thyroid. Therefore my levels fluctuate and I need to go up and down between two doses as my disorder goes between remission and is in a flare up. When in a flare up, I feel more achy and fatigued.

I also have a few markers for lupus which means I have a variety of autoimmune things going on. This seems to cause the achy, flu like symptoms you have. It it gets real bad, a rheumatologist suggested I could go on Plaquenil which is an autoimmune suppressant (or something like this). It helps to keep an autoimmune disorder from developing as quickly or to as great a degree.

I am on Levoxyl. If after a few months you do not feel better, may need to try another levothyroxine, but I think most are pretty much the same. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
    Yueder
    (female)

Yueder HB User

Thank you all for your response to my questions, it is very helpful. You are right that I should stay with one dose.

I feel that I had less muscle pain when I take 25ug, the muscle pain started 3days after 50ug. Is it possible that increasing dose can cause muscle pain?

Closed Thread