It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Are the synthetics and the dessicated the same?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User
    Are the synthetics and the dessicated the same?

My doctor only uses Nature-Throid or Armour, but I read about these others recommended by the Mayo Clinic (oh, wow!) and all. What's the difference? Which is better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Are the synthetics and the dessicated the same?

Technically there shouldn't be a difference. Dessicated T4 and T3 are the same as synthroid and cytomel. The only difference is that instead of a chemical company throwing in fillers and making the T3 and T4 to mimic the dessicated T3 and T4 in Armour they extract it from cows and pigs refine it and purify it in a biological ratio optimal for human consumption. As a chemist I would actually prefer Armour to synthroid and cytomel first. There is always the chance that something may get added or fouled in production.. versus in Armour.. it is purification and refinement not actually synthesis, purification, verification, refinement, and fillers for bulk and such. Also when you look and most people over 66% do better with T3 supplementation in conjunction with T4. Armour does this naturally.. in the case of synthetics you have two separate drugs you are trying to optimize.. and this can get hairy.

Just my two cents. I can go into details on the bioassay techniques if you like.. but most find it boring and gross.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Nature Throid and Armour are basically the same. The binders and fillers are different and Nature Throid is suppose to be hypoallergenic for people who may have a reaction to the binders or fillers in Armour.
    Some people do better on Armour, some do better on Nature Throid. I have tried both. I prefer Nature Throid, Armour made me feel odd and I got leg cramps on it. I also take a synthetic called Unithroid. Many people cannot tolerate just the natural and need a synthetic to keep the T4 level optimal.

The dessicated thyroid meds are from pig because their thyroid is closest to the human thyroid. It does however have more T3 than we generally need therefore the added synthetic T4 along with the natural works well for many people.

Be glad your dr wants to use the natural. Many won't prescribe it. I hope he is open to adding a synthetic if the natural has too much T3 for you.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User

MG
    You've been major helpful. Thank you. Yes, do go into some boring basics for me, please.

Also, you addressed my labs and wanted to know their context. I don't know yet, but I'll re-ask the doctor. I had said T4 is 1.22 and T3 is 2.9, while TSH is 1.279. Does this not tell you ANYTHING? Thanks. I don't know what's wrong with my questions, but you seem to have taken them on singularly. Much thanks.

Closed Thread