It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Test Results - Need Help with Translation!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    New Test Results - Need Help with Translation!

Hi there,

I've just had my test results back after a six week stint on 125mcg. I have the figures but not entirely sure what they mean, could someone please help:-

TSH 12.2 (was 26 last time)

T4 20 (Doctor said this is normal - is it?)

With a TSH that high (Doctor said it should be below 5) would this explain how awful I'm feeling? Also, they didn't test for T3 - should they have? What is T3?

Sorry with all the questions, but I haven't a clue what's actually happening with my own body!

Many thanks in advance,

Fran

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: New Test Results - Need Help with Translation!

You need to fight to get your FT3 tested as well. The average dose that those that can be regulated on just T4 supplement alone is between 100-150 mcg. The fact you are on 125 mch and still have a TSH that high should be sending up some flares and flags saying.. HEY! I still need help here.

You are still overt hypothyroid and do not have much T4 wiggle room left. You need to have you FT4 and FT3 tested so you know your exact levels then you can optimize yourself appropriately. You need to get your FT3 and FT4 levels in the 50-80% range of normal and tweak it until you no longer have symptoms.

My T4 range was 4.5-12.5 that would put your T4 HIGH.. hyper. I am betting that you have T4 to T3 conversion issues and that like 66% of the population you will not get well on T4 supplementation alone. Get a copy of your lab work. And request an T3 Uptake, rT3, FT3, and FT4 be run. There is only a 2.5 - 5 % STD in these techniques were as in T4 and T3 there is upwards of 20% STD error in the results. Do not settle for your current situation. Your levels are not normal and I would seriously question this MDs care ethic.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
    fran48
    (female)

fran48 HB User
    Re: New Test Results - Need Help with Translation!

Thank you so much MG for your advice. I am seeing an Endo (my first trip) on the 15th of November, so hopefully he will test these for me.

It's very difficult to understand my results when the Doctor only gives me numbers and doesn't explain what they actually mean! Just glad there are people like you to convert it into English!

Many thanks,

Fran

Closed Thread