It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• feel better with no meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
    shadow13
    (female)

shadow13 HB User
    feel better with no meds

About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Went on meds, stopped having periods, got bloated, stoped meds. Five years ago after birth of child at 40yrs had post partam depression tested thyroid again. Went back on meds again no period and felt lifeless. Over 4 yrs increased meds 3 times still felt bad still no periods. 1 yr ago went off meds feel much better have energy not depressed not bloated but no periods still. Could be minapause, Im 45. What will happen if I dont take meds. I feel so much better without it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: feel better with no meds

It's hard to tell from a distance why you have such trouble replacing your missing thyroid hormones, but here are some thoughts:

You may be expecting the treatment to do too much too soon. Thyroid replacement takes time and usually many dose adjustments before the optimum for you is found; and then it takes more time for the body to heal from the damage done to it while there wasn't enough hormone to carry out its many functions. It took me a full year to finally get it right and feel my old self.

Or... Your MD may not have been very adept at interpreting test results or adjusting doses, or he may have been unwilling to change brands or types of medicine when you didn't do well on the one you were taking. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to thyroid replacement, so it takes a creative MD to find the right way you need it to be done.

If you continue to lack the amount of thyroid hormone you're meant to have, it will lead to more serious conditions. Heart disease is common to untreated hypothyroid people, either due to the elevated LDL cholesterol that it causes, or due to damage of the heart muscle itself. Arteries can stiffen earlier than they would with normal thyroid levels. Thyroid shortage can lead to thinking disorders that mimic Alzheimer's disease. You'll very likely feel old sooner than you would if you have enough hormone.

If you tried only one brand of med, I urge you to try again with some other. Learn as much as you can about the disorder so that you'll know how to talk with an MD about changes that could be made in meds and dosages to achieve an easier and better result than you had in the past.

I hope that helped. Good luck to you.

Last edited by midwest1; 10-30-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Closed Thread