It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please help with results from FNA Biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User
    Please help with results from FNA Biopsy

Hi, I am confused, I do not know what to do. All my Tsh levels seem to be okay, or they say. My TPO is off the charts. somewhare around 300+. I have a nodule in my lower right lobe. I just had a FNA and the results read.

Benign Appearing Follicular cells, Few Hurthle Cells, Slight Colloid and Rare
    Macrophages present consistent with a follicular nodule.

I have looked up a few words like hurthle and rare macrapheges i do not like what i see. Does anybody have any experience with high antibodies with a solid nodule especially with the word hurthle in it.

Please Help
    God Bless
    Sty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Please help with results from FNA Biopsy

I am sure someone will come forward and share with you.......there are several people who post here that had hurtle cells come back in their reports and have had high TPO levels.............

I wish I could help more. I can tell you that you have come to the right posting board........everyone is very helpful here. Try to stay calm........Oleander.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
    I am sure someone will come forward and share with you.......there are several people who post here that had hurtle cells come back in their reports and have had high TPO levels.............

I wish I could help more. I can tell you that you have come to the right posting board........everyone is very helpful here. Try to stay calm........Oleander.
    Thank you so much for the inspiration. The more i read about these things in my report the more nervous i get

thanks again
    god less
    sty

Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

How big is the nodule?

What did your doctor say? Have you been seeing a surgeon or an endo??

The hurthle cells are a red flag, not necessarily cancerous, but can sometimes be precancerous. Very often they are removed, because they spread a tiny bit faster than other types of cells.

There have been people over the years on this board that had hurthle cells, but on surgery, didn't, it turned out either to be nothing, or other types of more common thyroid cancer like pappillary.

It's very hard to read these things without a doctor, and when you do speak to the doctor, ask very detailed questions, I find the more you show an interest in the details, the more interested they are in telling you.

The surgery, if you find you do have to face it, is not a terrible one at all.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Dear Reece, Thanks for your post, I have seen an endo and an ENT doctor. I am afraid if i wait I might have cancer that they could not diagnose. In the report they put down it appears to be begnign huh "appears". Thats no reassurance to me. Its a solid follicular nodule with a few hurthle cells I dont have the report on me. But the way it reads just dosnt sound to assuring.

Thanks for your help i will ask more questions
    God Bless
    Styller

Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
    tapergal43
    (female)

tapergal43 HB User

Sty,

Hi, just read your post and I will give you my perspective from my experience.

I was diagnosed with a solid nodule in 2003, my labs were all "norma" except for my antibodies. as yours are, and was told to watch things.

Well, I had a very, very long period of illnesses, long story, and went for a second opinion.

This second dr looked at my ultrasound report, ordered a biopsy and my results were yours almost to a T! He told me still to watch things as told before and I came home and looked things up online............and took what I had found to a 3rd dr, this one I had been waiting to get into for 2 years.

He took one look at the report and told me my entire thyroid needed to come out. His suggestion was that ANYTHING with follicular cells, normal or not should go ahead and come out due to the chances of it turning into follicular cancer being quite substantial.

I followed up his advice with a high powered surgeon in the area ( both had previously been with Mayo clinic) and he too confirmed that the whole thyroid would best be removed to ensure I was not and did not deal with follicular cancer.

That being said I had my thyroid out in 2005, my 2 year anniversary is coming up in November and I have had no problems whatsoever from the surgery. I have a very aggressive dr who is very skilled in replacement.

I really suggest you get a second, third and forth opinion about this nodule.

Once my surgeon got in there, the nodule had actually grown down under my collar bone and in around my neck muscle, carotid artery and and right vocal chord, it was the consistency of bubble gum. I was SO relieved to have it out.

My surgeon said that my biopsy was 100% consistant with hashimoto's disease and that it is always best to get it removed before the massive destruction occurs.

If you have ANY questions or can think of anything I can help you with, I'd be glad too...............

best of luck, it is a long road to get these things addressed correctly, but worth the fight, ok?

Karen

Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Dear Karen, Thank you so much for your experienced information. I have been going back and forth as to what to do. I will go and get that second and third opinion. I too have not been feeling well do to numerous thing associated with autoimmune diseases. I have that feeling something isnt right and thats why I turned to you all wonderfull caring people. I am very nervous about the operation but I will go into boston to have it done if i must. Thank you Please do not mind if i contact you again you seem to be very experienced in these matters.

God Bless
    Sty

Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
    tapergal43
    (female)

tapergal43 HB User
    Wink Re: Please help with results from FNA Biopsy

Sty,

I am very glad to help. There was a gal on this very board who walked me through the whole process, she had just been through the surgery and I was just posting with my scary biopsy results. It is just like is happening now, only I am on the other side of things...............

Do NOT be afraid of the surgery. No surgery is fun, but I have had quite a few and this by far was the least painful. There really isn't pain associated with it, just more of a tightness and an all around annoyance of not being able to move your head for a few days like you want.............nothing to worry about, I assure you

The worst part of the whole process for me was TRYING to get some answers for things! It is agonizing to be scared for your own health and can't get someone to give you a definitive response to your concerns. That is why it is so important to find a dr and surgeon who are well versed in this.

I used and endo, which most don't like, but mine is wonderful, and a deep, thoracic surgeon.

Make sure you point blank ask about a surgeon;s experience. If they act annoyed.........move on, obviously they have no regard for you as a patient! My surgeon was wonderful, showed me his whole career..........he had done thousands of thyroid and parathyroid surgeries, he had never had one complication. No vocal chord damage, and he was very experience with carotid artery surgery. I had been to an ENT but he was less than impressive and the gal on the board that was helping me told me to steer clear of ENT's if you can find a more highly skilled surgeon.

Again, ask anything you can think of.............

Best wishes and God's blessings to you.

Karen

Old 11-02-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Dear Tapergal, Thank you for your help. I am freaking out about surgery. I do need to find a good surgeon because im sure i will have it out. They are basically leaving up to me saying you can have this out or you can wait. They they go on telling me the risk like with the vocal cord. Then they tell me the margin off error from the needle biopsy. So i really need sometime to say this is what you need to do. I do not feel good and im wondering if some could be realated to this. Please sending me info if you have it.

This is a wonderful board with caring people
    Thanks a whole lot
    Sty

Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
    Trish558
    (female)

Trish558 HB User

Hello Sty,

Just wanted to drop you a line of encouragement, to let you know that I've been through the exact same thing you are now. TPO count off the charts....biopsies for 2 years on a nodule that was 3.75. It wasn't until I had my last biopsy that I saw the "hurthle" cell word in my charts. That, and the fact I was tired of the biopsies, motivated me to have surgery this past August. I'm really glad I did now that it's over with. No more worrying about the silly organ. The surgery wasn't bad at all. Just a very sore throat afterwards. My pathology came back ok and I'm feeling great now. The right vocal cord was an issue for exactly 2 months, then started working again spontaneously one morning. Find a surgeon you trust and are comfortable with and follow your intuition..... :-)

Take Care,
    Trish

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Thanks Trish,

For your encouragement Im really worried about surgery. I have to go back to ent in 6 weeks. I will get my second opion then or at this point just get the thing out.
    Thanks
    God Bless
    Sty

Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Tapergal,

There is a really nice guy who posts on here who had a similar experience where his thyroid grew down and wound around a rib.......I have not seen him post in a while.......

Could they not see this on ultrasound or scan? Just curious.....what tests were done on you before going in to take this out.........how is your voice?

Sincerely and thanks for sharing...............Oleander

Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
    tapergal43
    (female)

tapergal43 HB User

oleander,

I had ultrasounds and biopsies to monitor the nodule and the ultra sound right before surgery did not show the extensiveness of the growth. The ultra sound does not penetrate through deep tissue or bone well and my surgeon was not surprised by what he found because he said more than not, the disease is much worse when the surgeon gets in there than any test can reveal.

He also said massive destruction can be occurring and your typical thyroid labs will never reveal how sick a person really is.

I was very lucky to find a surgeon who was so knowledgeable about how sick all this makes you instead of just looking at a lab sheet and using that to determine I was not that sick.

I had so many symptoms that I had no idea what was wrong with me that all went away after getting my thyroid out, it is kind of scary that so much can be going on in your body and dr's can not pinpoint that it is all your thyroid nodules that are really wrecking havoc on one.

About my voice, prior to surgery I was hoarse, laryngitis like, for about 6 months. This was because my thyroid had entangled around my left vocal chord. I woke up from surgery with my voice back, it was like it got "unpinched"..........even with a hoarse voice I had one set of drs telling me to monitor things but when I got into the right set of drs they had my thyroid out within 7 days.

Best wishes,
    Karen

Last edited by tapergal43; 11-06-2007 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Why are these doctors not telling me these things. I do ask questions but they just want to wait. If there is a possiblility that these could be cancerous with it being follicular with hurthle cells why are not suggesting that it should come out. I told them i was not feeling well my voice is hoarse some days and other days not. My weight gain is terrible and i have dry skin and to much to mention with all of you wonderful people who have gone. I have had the two ultrasounds and two fna both reports read differently. The latest one worries me. My TPa or Tpo was off the charts so they know i have hashimotos. Why wait if all these things that I am reading are true like it growing around vocal cords, Sometimes its cancer or sometimes it spreads to other places. I was not put on any hormones. I am confused
    Sty

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #15
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User

Dear Orleander,

The guy who thyroid grew down around his ribs is scary. I wonder too if he had an ultrasound maybe they just do not go down far enough when doing and ultra sound they seem to keep that local.
    I am curious about him also if you here from him let me know love to ask questions
    Sty

Closed Thread