It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How can I tell if I'm going hyper from too much T4 or T3?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
    Judy Anne
    (female)

Judy Anne HB User
    Question How can I tell if I'm going hyper from too much T4 or T3?

I was doing really well on my dosage for several months but lately I've not been sleeping well and feel scattered and a bit tense. There is absolutely nothing in my life right now to cause this. No pressures or worries. So it doesn't make sense except for it maybe being meds.

Does this sound like I'm edging on going hyper? What are the symptoms? People always say heart palpitations. How do they feel?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Re: How can I tell if I'm going hyper from too much T4 or T3?

If you have not had your levels checked for several months then I think it is time for some bloodwork. What you describe are typical hyper symptoms however, these are the symptoms I had when I was HYPO. So you really can't tell until you get some labs.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
    Judy Anne
    (female)

Judy Anne HB User

Are you saying you can have these same symptoms wheter you are hyper or hypo? I hadn't realized that. thanks, I guess things like this are never that simple to figure out.

I'm about due to have blood test again. It's been almost 6 months.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Classic pharmocological signs of hyper due to medication overdose are:
    the speed up all of the body's vital processes, causing physical and mental hyperactivity, increased appetite, excessive sweating, chest pain, increased pulse rate, palpitations, nervousness, intolerance to heat, and possibly tremors or a rapid heartbeat.

Armour and the effects of certain drugs combined have adverse pharmacological effects. Armour Thyroid with these other drugs, can result in the effect of either drug could being increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Armour Thyroid with the following:

Asthma medications such as Theo-Dur
    Blood thinners such as Coumadin
    Cholestyramine (Questran)
    Colestipol (Colestid)
    Estrogen preparations (including some birth control pills such as Ortho-Novum and Premarin)
    Insulin
    Oral diabetes drugs such as Diabinese and Glucotrol)

Just in case any of these may be an issue.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
    Judy Anne
    (female)

Judy Anne HB User

I'm not on Armour but I am on asthma meds and just overall I have to take a lot of meds. I get my blood tests tomorrow and go to the doctor in a week so I will talk to her about this.

I do have some of those symptoms.

Thanks for the help. I will know more what to talk about at my doctor appointment.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Rapid Heartbeat

I've been told by my allergist that decongestant type meds can cause rapid heartbeat, so I don't take anything to slow it down, and so can many other things cause it. I don't even notice when mine's fast but the doctor holds the thingy on your finger and detects it.

As the poster above said, we've also had these things when hypo. An elderly woman I couldn't help overhearing in a doctor's office was being sent to a hospital with slow heart beat, about 2 seconds between beats, and her husband told the doctor she's cold, in the summertime, when he's burning up.
    So they doctor mentioned doing a thyroid check. That's a well-known hypo symptom.

Which you can have even if your TSH is low. See Dr. Lowe re thyroid online. The TSH test only measures how much hormone is in your blood stream, not how well it's being absorbed or utilized. I forget if he suggests any way to improve that. Good luck.

Closed Thread