It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH normal, T4 and T3 high?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
    Blondeone33
    (female)

Blondeone33 HB User
    TSH normal, T4 and T3 high?

Hi-
    I am 21 years old and had blood tests done (actually for a nerve problem) and my neurologist advised me to see my primary care physician because my thyroid results are:
    T4- 14.6 Reference range 4.5-12.0 ug/dL
    TSH- 0.66 Reference range 0.40-4.50 uIU/mL
    T3, Total- 241 Reference range 80-181 ng/dL

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what this could mean, I actually got an appointment tomorrow but I am anxious to get an idea of what it could be.

Thanks- hope this was ok it is my first posting on this site

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: TSH normal, T4 and T3 high?

Your labs look hyperthyroid.
    Though your TSH is still in range the T4 and T3 Total are both above range indicating too much hormone.
    They should also do thyroid antibody testing.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
    Blondeone33
    (female)

Blondeone33 HB User

Thanks for you reply
    I went to the doctor today and she said the main TSH number is what indicates thyroid problems, that T4 and T3 levels can be warped by some things such as taking birth control. To be on the safe side she had me go back for another blood test, a "free T3".

Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blondeone33 View Post
    Thanks for you reply
    I went to the doctor today and she said the main TSH number is what indicates thyroid problems, that T4 and T3 levels can be warped by some things such as taking birth control. To be on the safe side she had me go back for another blood test, a "free T3".
    Well, not really. The TSH is a pituitary response. It can be perfectly fine and a person can still have a thyroid problem if their free levels are not where they need to be or if they have thyroid antibodies causing them to have Hashimoto's or Graves. So while birth control may scew the result, the TSH is not the only factor to look at when diagnosing a thyroid problem. The FREE levels should both be mid to upper 1/3 in the labs range and you should test negative for thyroid antibodies.
    She should have run thyroid antibody testing on you as well.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
    Blondeone33
    (female)

Blondeone33 HB User

Hmmm... I'll see what she says when she calls me with the results.
    Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

well, she's right about female hormones screwing up the t's. But not the free t's which is why she ordered the free t-3. This is a test that shows what's actually in your blood stream and what's being used. Yes you also need to have a tsi antibody test to see if it's Graves disease. Your tsh may drop more, sometimes it lags behind even when your frees aren't normal, and not show up below normal for a little while.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Interesting lab results. I take it you are taking birth control? In addition to the free t3, free t4 should have been ordered too. BCP's don't interfere with that result. The T4 that you had done is what's known as a total T4.

The reason this post caught my eye is cause your labs look a bit like mine have for the last 16 years. However, I wasn't taking bcp's. It's had the docs a bit baffled for a while. I have a disorder that's called pituitary resistance to thyroid hormone. I am clinically hyper with a normal TSH and elevated free and total T4 levels. Sometimes free and total T3's too but not always. Most folks with resistance to thyroid hormone have strange looking labs but no thyroid symptoms. They are what's known as euthyroid, meaning neither clinically hyper or hypo.

Please let us know what your lab results show. I'd be really interesting in seeing what your free t's show. Antibody testing like the other's mentioned is also important.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
    Blondeone33
    (female)

Blondeone33 HB User

How do that treat pituitary resistance to thyroid hormone disorder?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #9
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

It depends on whether a person has symptoms. The main goal is to not treat it inappropriately as if it's a normal type of thyroid problem. I played that game and it can be quite a roller coaster ride. Treatment depends on the level of resistance. People who are clinically hypo with it, need thyroid hormone replacement and usually in pretty large amounts. Those who are euthyroid are supposed to be left to let their body handle it cause it's doing a good job with the compensation. Since they aren't having symptoms, that's not a big problem but they should know they have it so the docs don't freak when they see the labs and try and treat it. The hyper ones are treated with beta blockers. If those don't quite do the trick, they add some form of thyroid hormone or thyroid hormone analog to lower the TSH level which in turn brings down the hormone levels.

If on repeat testing, your TSH remains normal and your Free T4 and/or Free T3 are high, they should rule out secondary hyperthyroidism before you receive any type of treatment.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #10
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User

Sure it's okay, first posting or not. I still don't have my range!
    Good luck and welcome.

Closed Thread