It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid nodules, normal blood work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
    rie311
    (female)

rie311 HB User
    Question thyroid nodules, normal blood work

Hi all,

I am having a difficult time finding out what is wrong with me. I have many symptoms of hypo-thyroid such as extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, low libido, dry skin, brittle nails, irritability, heavy menstrual cycles with painful cramping, weight gain, and anxiety. Most of these symptoms have gotten progressively worse over the last 11 years (since the birth of my oldest daughter). The timing may be coincidental. I was treated for post-partum depression with both of my pregnancies, and have a tendency towards being depressed but can usually work my way out of it. There is a strong history of hypo-thyroid problems in my family. I also have Chron's disease and RLS.

As the fatigue and brain fog has gotten worse, I keep going to the doctor to find out what is wrong with me. They find something and treat it and nothing changes. First it was my B-12. It was low and I started taking shots. My levels went up, but I didn't feel any better. Then I went for a sleep study so they could tell me I had RLS even though I already knew it. I have that under control by taking Vit. E and it helped a teeny, tiny, bit. Last year the fatigue got REALLY bad and it turned out I was anemic. So I took Iron and got those levels back up. I felt better, but not well.

I keep asking for my thyroid levels to be checked and they keep coming back normal. The doctor finally found a nodule on my neck in the office and sent me for an ultrasound. It turns out that I have multiple bilateral lobe complex cysts and a small solid nodule on my thyroid. The endo. put me on a low dose of synthroid and I did feel better while I was taking it. I decided to stop seeing this doctor for several different reasons. Mainly, I didn't like the way the office was run. I was going to let my primary doctor treat me, but my sister who is a nurse insisted I go to another endocronologist. My primary wanted me to have an uptake scan done, but the endo. isn't certain. He wants to see the ultra sound himself to assess the quality. The new endo. doesn't think I need an uptake scan, and he didn't say anything about getting a biopsy or anything. I'm very confused. From all of the research I've done, my lab work would be more consistent with hyper-thyroid, but my symptoms are more hypo-thyroid. So why would the first endo. prescribe synthroid if my TSH level was on the lower end of the normal range? Why did I feel better when I took it? Does anyone have any ideas or advice? What tests do I need to have done? What else might be the problem if not my thyroid?

Also, when I have had to take Prednisone in the past, I feel great when I'm on it. My doctor has done Comprehensive Metabolic Panels and most everything comes up normal. My triglycerides are high part of the time, but that is it except for the anemia which was addressed.

Here are my most recent lab results:

TSH (third generation) .677
    T3, Total 140
    Free T4 1.3

I've seen something about a test for antibodies, but I'm not sure if it was included in the bloodwork. What would it be listed as?

This is what the 2nd ultrasound said:
    Multiple bilateral lobe complex cysts are identified. The largest cyst on the right lobe is 1.4 x 1.1 cm. There is a small solid nodule mesuring .9 x 1.13 cm. The largest comples cyst seen on the left measures 1.4 x 1.4 x 1.2 cm. There are no solid nodules seen on the left. The right lobe measures 4.1 x 2.1 x 1.3 cm. The left lobe measures 4.5 x 1.7 x 1 cm. Since the last examination there has been an interval increase in the size and number of the bilateral complex cysts.

Thanks for any advice!
    Rie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
    Styller117
    (female)

Styller117 HB User
    Re: thyroid nodules, normal blood work

Dear Rei,

It sound a little like what i am going through now. I would get a couple of test done. See if your doctor order the tpa or tpo. A thyroid perioxidase antibody test. They usually do but they dont say to much. If that test is high you probably have hashimotos thryoiditiis. Its an autoimmune disease and the antibodies attack your thyroid. I too have a nodule on my right lobe which is bothering me. They have been watching it for two years with two ultrasounds and two fine needle aspirations. My pathology report just is making me more nervous with the intruduction of new cells hurthle cells, Follicular cells. For the other problems i would ask about the HLA B27 Gene see if you have it. That causes alot of problems. One more thing I do think it is possible but not sure to be hypo and hyper at the same time.

I hope this will help a little
    God Bless
    Sty

Closed Thread