It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• MIDWEST1 - The OATMEAL worked

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
    MIDWEST1 - The OATMEAL worked

Just got my labs in the mail today and my LDL is down to 114 from 144. How bout them apples??? Thanks for reminding me about the oatmeal.

My HDL is up a little at 69 from previous 64 - soooooooooo I'm gonna try the avacado trick on that.

My cholesterol total is now down to 198 from previous 222.

Glad I tried this method first instead of the statin drug.

What I did was a heaping bowl of oatmeal with gobs of chopped walnuts (supposed to help lower the bad) and honey just about every evening around 9:00 p.m.

I did that in 2 months.

That's the good news but my tsh is outta range again so she wants to up my dosage again and wants me to call her. We just upped it to 100mcgs 2 months ago while it was in "the range". Now it is at 8.57 - drives me nuts. She'll probably take me up to 125mcgs. Gotta call her Monday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
    cosmo20
    (female)

cosmo20 HB User
    Re: MIDWEST1 - The OATMEAL worked

Hi Barbara Ann

Congratulations on those results! My cholesterol has skyrocketed in recent months - I'm guessing thyroid related. Right now I'm working on getting my levoxyl dosage figured out....then I need to tackle the cholesterol.

Statins scare the heck out of me....heard so many stories of joint paint. I have more than my fair share of that now. So the oatmeal sounds like a great strategy.

Question...I read that certain foods may affect levothyroxine absorption - requiring adjustments in dosing. The insert said both walnuts and dietary fiber may bind and decrease the absorption of levothyroxine sodium from the GI tract. Is that why you had the oatmeal in the evening? Could it have anything to do with your tsh?
    Cheryl

Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes - walnuts and oatmeal are supposed to be "real" culprits when it comes to hindering the absorption of levothyroxine (especially walnuts). I suspect that is why my tsh is up instead of down like it should be. I'm gonna decrease my oatmeal to 3 or 4 times a week space it farther apart from my medication and cut the walnuts out completely and see if that has an effect.

I went thru this the early part of this year and I was doing the walnuts and oatmeal at that time also but for different reason - just because I like them lol.

Kind of a catch 22 - does wonders for one area and is disastrous on another.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 11-04-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Wow... That's impressive! You should call the Quaker oats folks... Maybe they'll put you in a commercial! LOL

If you have a doctor who isn't stingy about dosing, you could keep eating the oats/walnuts for cholesterol control and simply increase your levoT dose enough to stabilize your thyroid again. It's really better to adapt the levoT dose to the healthy diet than the other way around.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think you're right about that. I really hate to trade one for the other.

I'll let her know I'm doing the oatmeal and also a very high fiber diet and let her just up the dosage.

I read on a levothyroxine site that they do that.

Closed Thread