It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How can I find out FOR SURE if I have an allergy to Iodine? Cobalt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    How can I find out FOR SUE if I have an allergy to Iodine? Cobalt?

Is there a big difference between and allergy and being extremely sensitive to a substance. I have never been able to wear costume jewellry and after recent surgery, found out that I am allergic to one of the components in stainless steel. I have also had neck to knee hives after an injection of contrast dye, both with and without iodine (according to the tech). Is there any way I can find out for certain whether I have an allergy or am sensitive to iodine and/or cobalt. The Endo just said don't have a test with contrast dye again but what will I do if that becomes necessary?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Question How can I find out FOR SURE if I have an allergy to Iodine? Cobalt?

Is there a big difference between and allergy and being extremely sensitive to a substance. I have never been able to wear costume jewellry and after recent surgery, found out that I am allergic to one of the components in stainless steel. I have also had neck to knee hives after an injection of contrast dye, both with and without iodine (according to the tech). Is there any way I can find out for certain whether I have an allergy or am sensitive to iodine and/or cobalt. The Endo just said don't have a test with contrast dye again but what will I do if that becomes necessary? It seems a lot of thyroid testing may involve iodine??? (Can anyone confirm which thyroid tests would include the use of these two components?) Thank you so much....I AM learning more every day thanks to this board and the vast resources of the internet. Hoppy

Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: How can I find out FOR SURE if I have an allergy to Iodine? Cobalt?

I don't know about cobalt but yes you have already proven you are sensitive to Iodine...when you had a contrast done and had hives you are sensitive to it. Yes most all testing for thyroid problems are done with Iodine.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Thanks for your reply, Ann. So what do people do who need to be tested but have the sensitivity or allergy? Is it possible that these two times I had the contrast dye and the severe hives could have caused the HypoT. I really don't think so because I had been fighting with symptoms well before that.

Since all of the thyroid functioning revolves around iodine molecules, how does that relate to being HypoT and being sensitive/allergic to iodine? I really crave salt. Does that hold any significance? Sorry everyone but I am just so filled with questions! Hoppy

Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I remembered reading the following article about contrast medium sensitivity while looking into iodine requirements some time ago. It's very technical, so I don't understand a lot of it. But the gist I get is that true iodine allergy is near impossible. Even people allergic to seafood aren't reacting to the iodine, but to some other agent. The thyroid hormone you take is based on iodine. If you were allergic to iodine, you wouldn't be able to use it. I bet MG could explain this article to you.
    [url] http://www.radiology.ucsf.***/instruction/abdominal/ab_handbook/04-IodineAllergy.html [/url]

Other than that, I'm sorry I can't answer your question.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
    moldman
    (male)

moldman HB User

You asked specifically about determining allergy -

I haven't a clue, but I will look into it.

There is a product called Mucomyst that is NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) that they should give you before getting Iodine contrast media if you have had a reaction because the Iodine concoction can take out your kidneys.

I've know a lot of dialysis patients who went in for heart images and came out with a double surprize.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

A lot of the thyroid testing is done with radioactive iodine and not the contrasting agent iodine.

I am told that the radioactive iodine is the same iodine that they put into iodized table salt. So if you use the iodized table salt with no problem, you won't have a problem with the radioactive iodine.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: How can I find out FOR SUE if I have an allergy to Iodine? Cobalt?

My allergist said there is no definable blood/scratch test for iodine/cobalt. My iodine allergy and cobalt allergy were determined by a dermatologist using a week long contact study for contact dermatitis trigger determination.

Since then i wanted to double check my reactivity to iodine myself for the reason.. what if I need a contrast dye study. I bought OTC betadiene.. which has 10% iodine in it.. and is used as an antiseptic. First I did a patch test were I rubbed it on the inside of my fore arm. There was no contact reaction after 24 hours.. my body just sucked it up. So next stage.. in the presence of my hubby and with our epipens on hand. I scratched the opposing underside of the fore arm and applied the iodine. Reaction. Hives over my chest and arm.. mild suppression of breathing, etc. No epiPen was necessary.. but it told me I react to iodine. Cobalt is incertain make-up and vitamin B12 if you have issues supplementing B12 or wearing the blue shades of eye shadow and make-up you may be allergic to cobalt. The best way to test is one of the contact dermatological allergen studies.

I also learned of my propylene glycol allergy that way.. which makes me allergic to nitro sprays for quick heart rate stabilization. Pity nurses do not read bottles and charts before applying medications. That was a trip.. heart going whacko.. nitro spray applied.. me trying to not faint and tell them.. hey.. can't breathe.. throat is sore and swelling. Now we know, no harm done.

My mother is allergic to iodine like me. She also has a thyroid AI condition Hashitoxicosis. She went in prepared with the knowledge that she had an iodine sensitivity. They premedicated with enough antihistamines to make a horse allergy free, steroids, and something else i can not recall off the top of my head. They gave her the dye and had to give her epineferine(sp) and stabilize her. But she was released the same day looking like a walking dot to dot project. My allergist said iodine sensitivities are not a problem as long as the staff are aware of them and you prepare for all contingencies.

MG

Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    I remembered reading the following article about contrast medium sensitivity while looking into iodine requirements some time ago. It's very technical, so I don't understand a lot of it. But the gist I get is that true iodine allergy is near impossible. Even people allergic to seafood aren't reacting to the iodine, but to some other agent. The thyroid hormone you take is based on iodine. If you were allergic to iodine, you wouldn't be able to use it. I bet MG could explain this article to you.
    [url] http://www.radiology.ucsf.***/instruction/abdominal/ab_handbook/04-IodineAllergy.html [/url]

Other than that, I'm sorry I can't answer your question.
    I will look over the article and see what I think. I replied to the other post about testing available for iodine and cobalt and my findings on the matter.

My mother and I are allergic/sensitive to iodine, cobalt and nickel given the various applied test media. Our tests showed the allergy/sensitivity and having thyroid uptake scan and an attempted treatment for Graves about killed my mother.. well it did kill her, but they were able to bring her back. My mother and I react to iodine be it a side component in salt, vitamins, dye or various other components. We thus have to be careful applying iodized salt to stuff and often have to request salt free when eating out. A little bit will not kill us when we ingest it. But we do get nasty hives and shortness of breathe with shrimp gumbo. It is possible in rare occasions to react to iodine substances when externally introduced. We react the most violently when we ingest or have iodine put in out blood stream. Since being diagnosed Hashi's and knowing my mother and her sisters have AITs as well, I wonder how much is a true allergy and not my AI being a pain in the.. neck. It is almost impossible to tell. So for now I have nice BIG RED LETTERS stating allergies and a LONG list of drugs, food, and chemicals listed in my medical charts as well as a medic alert bracelet on at all times. If I have need of the ER MDs and they take the time to read all my allergies, I might expire before they treat me.

As to seafood allergies not being iodine based. You can have both. Shrimp have a protein that many people are allergic too while not allergic to iodine. However, if you test positive for a shellfish allergy they tell you to always let anyone doing a dye test know of it so proper safety measures can be taken. I need to test myself with pure KI. The articles state no one reacts to such. And that it depends on the form of iodine introduced. I can believe that. Next time I am in the lab, I will satisfy my curiousity on that front... or next time I can get my hands on salt peter. Which is the same thing.

Overall being sensitive to a dye doesn't exclude the tests. you just need the tester to be aware of it so that you can be premedicated to reduce or negate reaction effects. I have not heard of anyone dying from a study when entering fore warned and prepared for said reaction.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 11-16-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

mkg

I too have allergies -- so many that when I bring my list to the ER they shudder. I am allergic to nuclear med dye, iodine (IVP, CT, betadine) had cobalt as a baby and again at 8 years of age to get rid of scar tissue from the first round - then the docs found out they were playing with fire. Killed off the thymus gland......

I did have to take the radioactive iodine pill for severe hyperthyroidism and the doc said it was different and would not affect me. I was scared but he was right. I only have ultrasounds of the throid and that is just as effective for diagnosis. I do have nodules but he hasn't done any further ultrasouns - says it isn't necessary at this point???? My thyroid is still functioning after 2 1/2 years and he can not believe or understand it. I should be on Synthroid right now but I am now within normal limits. A lot of people who had those radiation (cobalt) treatments as kids now have thyroid cancer after 50 or years. Docs don't know what they are doing. I am allergic to antbiotics, antifungals, you name it.

Ask your doc about the ultrasound.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

This is all very interesting! I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Monday.

I bought the 2% Tincture of Iodine from the drugstore. I put a 3 inch patch on my belly and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, it was gone. I decided to see just how long it would take to disappear. Put a 3 inch circle on my inner arm and it totally disappeared in less than three hours....no other reaction. I had read about this test for iodine defiency (both for and against). There was no allergic reaction as such but I didn't scratch my arm. Strange but I remember my Dad using baby oil and iodine as a suntan lotion (haha...what we didn't know!) and I slathered it on as well to be like him! It, too, soaked right in! Sorry, I AM getting off topic here.

So should I go out and buy 10% iodine Betadine. Is that the right name that I would ask for. And do I have to scratch my arm? (No epiPens in this house...yet!). How big should the scratch be?

About the B12. I am sure I will have to start supplementing that as well. My test result was 324 (211-911) and as usual with all my tests, it was within range but I think optimal is above 500-550. I have read that in Japan the lower limit is 550 as below that level a person may start to exhibit neurological signs. Maybe that has something to do with my memory issues! Hoppy

Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Just out of curiousity, how do you know you have a cobalt allergy? The reason I ask, is I take b-12 injections, feel worse for a day or two, then go back to being my odd-ill-just functioning self. If I had an allergy to cobalt, could the b-12 be causing some of my ills??? How does one find out if they are allergic to b-12? Wait, one more question, is there any way to supplement with any type of b-12 if you are allergic to cobalt?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Just wanted to post that the pharmacist said the iodine of today is not really the iodine of yesterday -- I really don't understand but she said it is not a true test because of that --- I had tried the test on my arm with no reaction also and yet know I am allergic to iodine.

Yes, try the betadine but what's really weird is I had stitches over my eye from a fall and they used betadine but I did not realize it at the time and I did not get a reaction and yet before I knew about the iodine allergy I used it on mucous membranes, i.e. for womens problems I got so sore I couldn't stand it....so go figure. It was the IVP dye that proved it - I was hives from head to foot.

Be careful.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

The two I have had a reaction with are Omnipaque and Isovue. I think one has iodine and one does not. I was assured after the reaction with the Omnipaque that the same thing would not happen with the Isovue. My Mom had the same reaction to contrast medium. For all I know, she probably had thyroid issues as well as she was always tired and I never remember her happy! I agree...head to toe hives are not fun and I don't know if the next reaction would be any more serious!

Closed Thread