It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Switch from Synthroid to Armour

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Switch from Synthroid to Armour

I know this has been asked before but I would like to ask again. I was diagnosed hypo a year ago and started on 75 mcg of Synthroid. Was seeing a GP and endo back then and neither of them could really help me. A few months later I went to a naturopath (who has been a tremondous help!) who wanted to switch me over to Armour but I was STARTING to feel better then and was scared to switch meds. My numbers seemed to level off on the same 75 mcg dose and I did fairly well for the rest of the year on that same dose. Now I am hypo again and it seems my T3 has been steadily declining. Three weeks ago I was raised to 88 mcg of Synthroid. I think I would like to talk to my doctor about adding some Armour now. (Last time we discussed this she said she would rather switch completely to Armour OR add Cytomel.) I would prefer to add in some Armour and decrease the Synthroid in increments to see if that would get me at an optimal level and either end up completely on Armour or on an Armour/Synthroid combo.

Looking for advice and past experience. Here are my last 3 labs:

3/7/2007
    TSH: .53 (.40-5.50)
    FT4: 1.7 (.8-1.8)
    FT3: 353 (230-fourhundredtwenty)

Felt great right before:
    5/22/2007
    TSH: 1.59
    FT4: 1.5 (.8-1.8)
    FT3: 332 (230-fourhundredtwenty)

10/24/2007
    TSH: 2.25
    FT4: 1.3 (.8-1.8)
    FT3: 269 (230-fourhundredtwenty)

Would you bump back to 50mcg Synthroid and maybe take 1/4 grain Synthroid in Am and 1/4 grain in PM? Or maybe only take 50 of Synthroid and 1/4 grain for a few days until the T4 reserves are a bit depleted?

Also, my BP has been elevated again since my numbers are out of whack as it was a year ago when I was diagnosed. Is this a reason to hold off on Armour? I have not had any heart palps lately though as I have had those in the past as one of my hypo symptoms? (Is this becuase my T3 is so low?)

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Switch from Synthroid to Armour

Hi Heck... Sorry I can't really help much. You're asking the kind of specifics I'm not good at and generally refrain from commenting on. Are you still seeing someone in Dr. W's office, or have you moved on?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Thanks Midwest...I'm still seeing Cindy in Dr. W's office. I'm so thankful I've found someone that understands that even 'in range' is not exactly where I need to be...just need to figure out how to get there. And now I am in SPAZ mode again as I am tired of feeling sick and just want to be better.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

i have even less knowledge than mid-west, so I cannot touch those questions either.

If your T3's continue to drop perhaps adding some Cytomel would help? It's a T3 only drug. I've been taking just Armour since May 07, and am doing BETTER than when I was on any other hypo-Thy med. We all are different though

Finding a Doc who treats YOU not the numbers on the lab sheet is KEY
    Wishing you continued sucsess

Closed Thread