It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what is normal Ferritin level?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
    Annagin
    (female)

Annagin HB User
    what is normal Ferritin level?

How long does Thyroid rebound state last after the medication is stopped?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
    Re: what is normal Ferritin level?

To answer the first question in the title of your post, normal ferritin levels can range from 10-291, according to lab ranges. Optimal levels are around 70 for adult females.

I have no idea about the second question.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My Doctor likes to see the Ferritin at least at 70. Oleander

Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
    Annagin
    (female)

Annagin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
    To answer the first question in the title of your post, normal ferritin levels can range from 10-291, according to lab ranges. Optimal levels are around 70 for adult females.

I have no idea about the second question.
    Thank you for your reply. mine was 11 and i had horrible pain in my legs, waking up about three times every fifteen minutes all night long and so tired i could hardly function. then after being on iron it went up to 17. Doctor said he wants it at least 55 but after being treated with iron for over a year it went to 16. so now he has tripled the amount of iron i take. i am wondering if other people had those same symptoms?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Mine was at 24 and has gone up to 30 but I still have horrible pain in my legs. I had all my "kids" over for dinner tonight and one of them said, "what is wrong with you now?" so I have vowed to be silent about this from now on!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
    Brillig
    (female)

Brillig HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Annagin View Post
    How long does Thyroid rebound state last after the medication is stopped?
    From everything I've read, thyroid meds must be taken for life, so I would imagine one would be back to square one for good, if you stopped taking the medication. It's not a cure; it's a substitute for what your thyroid is no longer doing properly.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

My ferritin was 15. My symptoms that went away after getting the level up....shortness of breath, fast pulse, some fatigue. I had those symptoms on and off for years, doctors were puzzeled... had cardiology work-ups...they thought my iron levels were fine because my hemoglobin was "normal".

Then I read on the internet that ferritin could be low and cause symptoms even when the hemoglobin is "normal". No doctor had ever tested my ferritin before that I know of. And likely if they had tested my ferritin they would not have recgonized how low it was because the "normal ranges" are too broad. Idiots.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Annagin,

Like GCC said, you can have very low ferritin levels and still have CBC levels within range. I think in my case it was because I smoke (yeah, I know). Smoking can raise hemoglobin, hematocrit and RBC levels on the CBC. Therefore, even if your ferritin is extremely low, you won't look anemic on testing. My ferritin was at 7 when it was first tested, but the CBC showed RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit levels at low normal. It takes about 3 weeks after quitting in order for these levels to reflect what's really going on.

Has your dr had you do additional testing to find the cause of your low ferritin? Standard testing includes a pelvic exam and ultrasound (if you're still menstruating), along with an endoscopy and colonoscopy to rule out any possible GI bleeding. There are some excellent references to this in the Anemia forum, but particularly in this thread [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=524568&page=13[/url] (Chromagen Forte Caplet TRX). Its on page 3 of the forum if you want to read it in its entirety.

I also found out that I have several food intolerances, which I think was preventing my supplements from absorbing. After being gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free and sugar-free for 3 weeks now, I have a lot more energy. Think my gut is healing enough so that I'm finally absorbing some of what I'm taking. Its something to think about.

Also, have you had your Bvits and vit D tested? A lot of thyroid folks are deficient in these as well and need to be tested. Most docs won't do this unless harrassed, largely because it doesn't occur to them.

Last edited by Nyxie63; 11-19-2007 at 06:26 AM.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
    m. m.
    (female)

m. m. HB User

I'm working on brining my Ferritin up and my doctor has me using "Floradix" which is a liquid iron/vitamin supplement. He said the body is able to absorb this product much better than pill supplements thus gets levels up faster and it does not cause an upset stomache or constipation. It's not the best tasting stuff but it's tolerable and one serving is about the size of a small shot glass. Have been taking it for 6 weeks and have not had levels rechecked so can't say if it's doing its job or not. I got my first bottle at his office. The second bottle at a local vitamin/health store.

Just thought I'd share....

Michelle

Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
    amiee79
    (female)

amiee79 HB User

Does anyone know if your Ferritin levels are high if that causes the same sort of problems?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Too high hemeglobin and high feritin levels are not good. Too much iron will act as free radicals in the blood. The range for men is higher than for women (but I am not sure what the levels for men are).

Donating blood is a good way to bring too high ferritin level down.

Also, donating blood is not reccomended for those with low ferritin (even if the hemoglobin is "normal").

Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
    amiee79
    (female)

amiee79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GCC View Post
    Too high hemeglobin and high feritin levels are not good. Too much iron will act as free radicals in the blood. The range for men is higher than for women (but I am not sure what the levels for men are).

Donating blood is a good way to bring too high ferritin level down.

Also, donating blood is not reccomended for those with low ferritin (even if the hemoglobin is "normal").
    I just found out today I have a calcified thyroid nodule. Could this be related with the ferritin levels?

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Amiee - have they checked you for Hemochromatosis? This is a genetic disorder where your body has too much iron. My brother has this and has to donate blood to keep his levels down. I have the single gene mutation so my iron tends to be on the high side as well, but Ijust avoid vitamins with added iron and so far this works for me.

Too much iron can deposit in your organs and cause damage (ie hypothyroidism) but I don't know if it can cause the issues you are having. You should look into this more to see if you should have the blood draws done.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
    amiee79
    (female)

amiee79 HB User

I had heard of hemochromatosis after looking into the high levels of ferritin. I never had it checked though as the doctor I was going to at the time was awful. I have switched doctors and I am dealing with infections, the chest pain, etc. so I'd be in his office forever going through all of my background. Once the calcified thyroid nodule is noted by the radiologist and I talk to my doctor I will mention it. We did blood tests a little while back and I do not think it came up again that my ferritin was high, so it must not be a consistent thing for me.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

DH has Graves Disease and has had RAI twice. Thyroid levels have been in the normal range for 2 1/2 mths now. Still very tired, we thought possibly low iron, wrong, its high, so is the ferritin level. Ferritin range is 10-322, he is 577 Just saw the doctor this morning, they took 7 vials of blood, checking for hemochromatosis and many other things.

I was wondering if the high ferritin is an issue with thyroid patients? Seems most have low iron/ferritin levels. We are really hoping its just a false positive and a result of the hper going to hypo issue. It will take 7-10 days for all the lab results to get back.

Closed Thread