It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
    feebee1
    (female)

feebee1 HB User
    Low ferritin

I have an underactive thyroid and have been taking 150mcg for a few years, since moving country and seeing an Endo. Doctor she has told me that blood tests show that I am taking too much thyroxine and I am now hyper (have been here before and I certainly do not feel hyper!) she lowered my dose to 150mcg 4 days out of 7 and 100mcg for the remaining 3 days. I have since discovered I have low ferritin (10), she told me to take one tablet of Maltofor everyday for 2 weeks till I saw her. (have had low ferritin before), when I did see her and told her I didnt think the iron tablets agreed with me she told me to stop them if i wanted....my hair has been falling out and have had the odd palpitation which has gone since taking the iron tablets...she never said how long I should take iron tablets.

Am really confused, am I on the right dose of iron and if so for how long and does having low ferritin make you go from Hypo to hyper??

Sorry its a long post, i could go on for hours!!!

Fiona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Low ferritin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feebee1 View Post
    I have an underactive thyroid and have been taking 150mcg for a few years, since moving country and seeing an Endo. Doctor she has told me that blood tests show that I am taking too much thyroxine and I am now hyper (have been here before and I certainly do not feel hyper!) she lowered my dose to 150mcg 4 days out of 7 and 100mcg for the remaining 3 days. I have since discovered I have low ferritin (10), she told me to take one tablet of Maltofor everyday for 2 weeks till I saw her. (have had low ferritin before), when I did see her and told her I didnt think the iron tablets agreed with me she told me to stop them if i wanted....my hair has been falling out and have had the odd palpitation which has gone since taking the iron tablets...she never said how long I should take iron tablets.

Am really confused, am I on the right dose of iron and if so for how long and does having low ferritin make you go from Hypo to hyper??

Sorry its a long post, i could go on for hours!!!

Fiona
    I am not familiar with the brand of iron you are using, or the dosage. High dosages of iron don't agree with anyone.

Also, if you have low ferritin, you may have to take iron for years unless you can figure out what is causing the loss of iron. So, it's not something that can be *fixed* in a few weeks.

Low ferritin will not cause you to be hyper. However, if you do not have enough iron in your body and become anemic, your synthetic thyroid hormone will not metabolize as efficiently, so it is important to keep the ferritin levels up. Optimal ferritin level for a menstruating woman is at least 70. 90 is even better. So you have a long way to go.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
    feebee1
    (female)

feebee1 HB User

Thank you for that, I guess I will try another doctor, having had low ferritin before and again now and neither doctors bothered to try and find out why. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
    sandy222
    (female)

sandy222 HB User

hello there..sorry to be a pain but Im new to this board and dont know how to start a thread. many thanks

Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
    feebee1
    (female)

feebee1 HB User

Not too sure myself I clicked on 'ask a question' somewhere at the beginning...sorry Im not much help, if I find out will let you know.

Last edited by feebee1; 01-04-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Sandy-at the left top of the main board(not this thread on low ferritin), there is a blue button that says "new thread". Click that and start your topic off with a title and then your message, then under that press "submit reply".

Closed Thread