It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Slightly high thyroid levels in 18 year old male.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
    TheTwo^Pigeons
    (male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User
    Slightly high thyroid levels in 18 year old male.

I had a blood test about a month and half ago for a different problem which turned out to be fine, but the Doctor did mention that my thyroid levels were slightly high. He insisted it's nothing to worry about and felt my neck to feel for lumps or swelling. He felt nothing abnormal and he told me to arrange another blood test to check the levels in a month from now. As soon as I got home I looked on the internet and checked the symptoms, some of which I could identify too.

The symptoms that I looked at that I thought I could have were increased bowel movements which happens very rarely and is usually associated with my worries. Diarrhea which I get occasionaly but there's usually a reason for it such as eating crappy food, and anxiety. I'm pretty much a hypercondriac and I have some OCD tendacies but I work through it well and I'm much better now than I have been in the past.

My questions for you guys are how likely is it that I have hyperthyroidism? I've read that it's uncommon in males compared to females and you usually get it when you're older, which is one of the main reasons why I believe that it's very unlikely. On top of that I've read that a virus with symptoms like a sort throat can be responsible for the higher thyroid levels, which I had a couple of weeks before my blood test. Also the fact that my Doctor suggested a blood test in a month so presumably it's not anything to worry about.

However if I do actually have hyperthyroidism, how serious is it? If the levels are slightly high like mine with most of the symptoms absent and the few I have associated with other things is it dangerous? Will I have to take medication for the rest of my life? And if the cause isn't graves disease, which I'm sure it's not that must mean I have lumps in my throat or even worse some sort of pituitary problem.

Please help me out here, it will really put my mind at rest.

P.s. My Mum also has a thyroid problem, hypothyroidism which is treated with some pills that she has to take daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
    TheTwo^Pigeons
    (male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User
    Re: Slightly high thyroid levels in 18 year old male.

No one have any answers? It's just this is really bothering me. I can't help but think that it being so uncommon in a 18 year old male means that it's going to be something serious. Does hardly any symptoms mean anything? Or is that just the start and it'll get worse as I get older. Is it likely that I could die with hyperthyroidism? Or do the number of symptoms reflect on the prognosis? Please help, I'm getting quite worried.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
    Tranquillity
    (male)

Tranquillity HB User

You will NOT die from hyperthyroidism without MAJOR warnings - if you can breath and talk, there's no need to worry about that. It can certainly get worse, but lets just say that you'll be in the ER weeks or months before it gets that dangerous.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Hi...A good thyroid book for you to read...Could It Be Your Thyroid? by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...your library can get it for you or maybe Barnes and Noble or Borders...

I am hypothyroid and taking Levoxyl..

Thyroid does run in families...its in mine...my mother had her thyroid taken out when she was 19...

Please be sure to have your blood tests done again...

Please let us know what happens...

Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Get a copy of your thyroid results and post them here. What did he say was a bit high? The FT3 and FT4 or the TSH? They mean different things. Did he test your antibodies? I would look into getting a second opinion and a full thyroid panel run. Also make sure that the fax/mail you a copy of the results. Do not accept "normal" without a double check.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Get the thyroid antibodies test done too and do get a copy of all your lab repots.Post the results here if you like and we will tell you what we think.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
    TheTwo^Pigeons
    (male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User

Well I had my second blood test results today and what I got is:

TSH 6.44 - Which was considered high.
    FT4 14.2 - Normal.

So now I know the details I've realised that it's hypothyroidism, not hyper. With my Mum also having hypothyroidism then It's very possible that it was passed down to me although for now I have no symptoms. I guess in the uk they use different ranges for FT4 levels because I've read some people with less than 2.0 and some at 25 or so.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Will your doctor be putting you on thyroid pills?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
    TheTwo^Pigeons
    (male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User

I'm going to see my Doctor on Monday so I will know then, but I don't get any symptoms as far as I know, I just feel like I always have. Do you think it would be wise to give me some pills? I mean if it's subclinical hypothyroidism there's a chance that it might just dissapear in the following years right?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

I would be very surprised if it just disappeared.Please let us know what happens when you go to the doctor

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
    TheTwo^Pigeons
    (male)

TheTwo^Pigeons HB User

I will and thank you.

I do have one question though, is my Ft4 level normal? I know I said it was earlier but I've been thinking about it and I'm not so sure. I also know there's a load of different ranges and unfortunately I wasn't able to get them so I will never know for sure till I go to the Doctors but.. from your opinion do they sound normal? I know someone is an expert with ranges I heard so I would really appreciate if this sounded right. Because without the symptoms subclinical hypothyroidism looks very possible but is a tumor possible also?

Closed Thread