It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• palpitations with hypothyroidism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User
    palpitations with hypothyroidism

hi all hope you are all doing well.
    just a quickie for you, do any of you get palpitations with hypo, this is one problem i have that i havent seen anybody else have unless they are hyper.
    i am definately not hyper, so wanted to know if anyone else suffers this, and if so what causes it, i had palpitations before i started treatment so its not the meds
    thanks
    andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
    Re: palpitations with hypothyroidism

Yes I get the palpaitations when I am hypo, they went away when they adjusted my meds.
    I hated that feeling. alway thought I am going to have a heart attack.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

hi mauz
    thanks for your reply, so i am not alone then, there are others who get this.
    i mainly have it when i am resting or should i say it is more noticable then, any ideas what causes it.
    the strangest thing is that i am just getting over a very bad cold and on the days when the cold was extremly bad i didnt have any palpitations at all, how weird is that

andrea

Old 01-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User

Could be from low a ferritin level.

I was skeptical last year when I read that hypo-tyroid patients often had a low ferritin level. I thought....surely if I had a very low iron level my doctors would have know this and told me! WRONG!

I had papitations off and on for many years and have been to 2 different cardiologist and they could not find anthing to account for the palpitation.

Finally I had my ferritin level checked. It was 15...that is considered "normal" if you look a the "normal ranges" on the lab reports. But optimal ferritin is between 70 - 90. So 15 is way too low!

After a few weeks of taking a fairly high dose of iron, my palpitations went away.

But you should not take more than the RDA of iron without knowing that your ferritin is low, because a higher dose than the daily RDA can be dangerous if you don't need extra iron.

So, you need to have your ferritin level tested. There is NO other iron test that will substitute for having a ferritin level done (so don't let them give you another iron test and tell you it is equal to ferritin).

And of course get a copy of the lab report & see what your number is.
    If your ferritin is below 70 come back here and I will tell you exactly which iron I took and the dose that I used.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Yes, when I was very hypo, my doc said it was common to get palps. Hypo or Hyper affects the heart rhythms. He said a lot of people didn't realize that hypo will also cause these.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

isnt it strange that sooooooooo many symptoms can be applied to hyper and hypo as well.
    it really is a mine field in more ways than one

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
    b&wcats
    (female)

b&wcats HB User

yep, heart palps here too. Much better then they were! Anxiety too that is also getting better. Still having problems falling asleep -- heart pounding when I lie down. Endo says it's a hyper thing (too medicated) but I'm not -- I'm crashing & TSH OK (why crashing is a different mystery ) -- and he said it could be that minefield you are talking about. Hypo/ hyper -- somewhere in between, stuff messed up someway, every person different. I've heard that in Chinese medical traditions the thyroid and the heart are very connected. Makes sense!
    FYI I used fizzy magnesium with success for the heart palps. Made the warm drink. Helped. Sometimes when they were bad it kind of hurt as they -- for lack of better word -- downshifted and stopped but it was better then it continue to happen! Yucky. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Hashimoto's, bottom of the barrel T4 levels. High BP, HR, and palps if I sit up, stand, or heaven forbid think of exercising. My Cardio insisted it was a combo of my antibodies and my HypoT. Finally got meds. The first day I was on them and my HR droped 20 points.. BP dropped 10+ in both numbers. Guess my cardio was right and endo wrong.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
    chillijava
    Veteran
    (female)

chillijava HB User

what i cant understand is that when the palps are really bad i check my pulse and its not racing it is always about 70, even though i feel my heart is about to burst, this really is tooooooooo weird for me to understand.
    i really hate it at night it stops me from getting to sleep

Closed Thread