It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test Results Suggestions please help me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User
    Test Results Suggestions please help me

thyroglobulin antibodies 62
    thyroid peroxidase antibodies >1000
    t3 149
    t41.3
    tsh 6.84

GP put me on 100mcg of levothyroxine yesterday. I have no idea how serious this is. Can you please give me some advice? I know the t3 and t4 levels are good, and the others are all high. Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Test Results Suggestions please help me

You have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and are in the final stages of distruction of your thyroid. Basically you are suffering from Hashi's... there are alot of us out there. I also suffer from Hashi's my TPOAb was 1695 at last count. The antibodies you have are attacking and killing your thyroid off. The fact that your TSH is 4+ indicates that you are in the final stages of thyroid failure and the antibodies have done there job.

Being on thyroid replacement meds is the answer. Whether just a T4 supplement like levothroxine will be enough or whether you will need T3 as well will have to be determined in due course. It is not the end or terrible. We have the meds to replace the thyroids function. The bad part is regulating them. It is a slow and delicate process requiring monitoring FT3 and fT4 concentrations and finding an MD will to optimize your levels. Most MDs just treat you to get you with in normal range not optimal for you. Most have to fight for optimal treatment.

Welcome to the family and feel free to ask questions and vent as needed. Oh, get the ranges on the T3 and T4. I suspect with the TSH value you have and the T3 and T4 that you have that you are below the 50-80% optimal range. You need to get these up. What symptoms are you having?

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-11-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

t3 is 149 ranges 60-181
    t4 is 1.3 ranges .8-1.8
    Those are in range right? Symptoms are anxiety, cold feet all the time, muscle and joint pains. The most annoying symptom is indescribable akward feeling all day. Kinda like I am strung out or something. I just don't feel right everyday, for almost 2 months. How long do you think I could have had this? Will everything get better once my levels get right? I am glad I have a diagnosis, but this sucks. Any advice or suggestions?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

t3 is 149 ranges 60-181
    t4 is 1.3 ranges .8-1.8
    Those are in range right? Symptoms are anxiety, cold feet all the time, muscle and joint pains. The most annoying symptom is indescribable akward feeling all day. Kinda like I am strung out or something. I just don't feel right everyday, for almost 2 months. How long do you think I could have had this? Will everything get better once my levels get right? I am glad I have a diagnosis, but this sucks. Any advice or suggestions?

First let us check your ranges:
    (149-60)/(181-60)*100 = 73.5 % This is good for your T3.
    (1.3-.8)/(1.8-.8)*100 = 50 % This is just at the bottom of optimum for your T4.

You could stand a boost in T4 levels probably. Did you just start meds? ** Just noted the yesterday comment** How long have you been on them? Hashimoto's ends up as hypoT, but it can have a few side effect bonuses thanks to the autoimmune antibodies getting bored and attacking your body. Things should get better once you hit optimal for you in both T3 and T4 levels.

Other things HypoT's have to look out for is low ferritin, low vit D, low B12. These can all amplify and mimic hypoT symptoms even if the thyroids are optimal in range. In addition to these things you might want to push for FT3 and fT4 monitoring of your levels. T3 and T4 have 20% inherent error in the values while the FT3 and Ft4 tests are the exact blood conc levels and the error is only 2.5-5% respectively.

Alright on the meds common question.. how long will it take to help.

When adjusting to meds:
    It takes 2 weeks for the meds to hit equilibrium in your blood and another 2 weeks for your body to adjust fully to the dose. If you still have symptoms after four weeks then you most likely need a boost. Standard replacement dose for a dead thyroid is between 100-150 mcg depending on your body chemistry.

Hope this helps.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

********, thank you for your quick responses, you are very nice to answer my questions so fast. I took my first dose this morning. I could feel effects quickly, like I took a bunch of energy pills. A little stiffness in my right shoulder. I did have low B12 before, for some reason they didn't check this time. Could low B12 effect my levels? Should I take the B12 vitamins still? Do I for surely have hashimoto's? Could this just be a tempory thing, or is it for life? My pharmacist gave me the generic Mylan brand, is this ok? Sorry for so many questions, my wife thinks im overreacting...but if she knew how I felt she might not think that way. Can you explain why all of the sudden I just went from good to bad? That is what concerns me the most. I have had alot of the symptoms for a long time, but this is a whole new level.

I do admit I am very obsessed right now, I just want to get better...I am too young to feel crappy everyday. I know there are many people in the same situation, or worse. I am sure alot of you know the anxiety and uncertainty this brings. Thank you again for your help, if anyone else wants to voice their opinions and suggestions it would ease my mind. This board is a big help for me already, doctors do not explain things sometimes and kinda make me feel like it is no big deal...but it is to me! Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

********, thank you for your quick responses, you are very nice to answer my questions so fast. I took my first dose this morning. I could feel effects quickly, like I took a bunch of energy pills. A little stiffness in my right shoulder. I did have low B12 before, for some reason they didn't check this time. Could low B12 effect my levels? Should I take the B12 vitamins still?

Your welcome. I am glad that I could help. I was in your boat a year back. Yes take B12 a super B complex supplement will be best and Magnesium 400 mg a day. This will help with Joints and some of the brain fog and headache severity. Make sure you are on a solid multivitamin with ferrous fumarate and selenium in it. These will also help. Fish oil, DHEA, DHA, EPA can also help you with symptoms. Yes I take all of this.. though some of it is for mood control and female complications.

Do I for surely have hashimoto's? Could this just be a tempory thing, or is it for life?
    Yes you have Hashimoto's and it is for life.. even if your thyroid is removed you will still have the TPOAb antibodies. Here is a brief summary on it..

What is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland. The thyroid helps set the rate of metabolism, which is the rate at which the body uses energy. Hashimoto’s stops the gland from making enough thyroid hormones for the body to work the way it should, by literally killing off the gland. It is the most common thyroid disease in the U.S.

What is an autoimmune disease?

An autoimmune disease occurs when the body's immune system becomes misdirected and attacks the organs, cells or tissues that it was designed to protect. About 75% of autoimmune diseases occur in women, most often during their childbearing years.

What are the symptoms of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Some patients with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis may have no symptoms. However, the common symptoms are fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, weight gain, forgetfulness, muscle weakness, puffy face, dry skin and hair, constipation, muscle cramps, and increased menstrual flow. Some patients have major swelling of the thyroid gland in the front of the neck, called goiter.

Does this disease run in families?

There is some evidence that Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis can have a hereditary link. If autoimmune diseases in general run in your family, you are at a higher risk of developing one yourself. Since 4 of 5 of my mom and her sisters have it.. I have it.. my Great grandma, and Great aunts have it.. I would strongly say.. yes it is genetically dominant in women. So your children should be watched.

How can you know for sure if I have this disease?

Your doctor will perform a simple blood test that will be able to tell if your body has the right amount of thyroid hormones and the presence of TPOAb and TGAb. This test measures the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), FT3, and FT4 levels to find out if the levels are in the normal range. The range is set by your doctor and should be discussed with you. TSH accepted range is currently 0.3-3.0 with some laboratory calibration shift expected. A positive TPOAb test is a 95% positive indicator of Hashimoto thyroiditis. Work with your doctor to figure out what level is right for you. There are other available tests that your doctor may choose to do if need be, such as a blood test to measure the level of “active thyroid hormone” or Free T4 and a scan (picture) to look at the thyroid.

What is the treatment for this disease?

Hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is treated with thyroid hormone replacement. A small pill taken once a day should be able to keep the thyroid hormone levels normal. This medicine will, in most cases, need to be taken for the rest of the patient's life. When trying to figure out the amount of hormone you need, you may have to return to your doctor several times for blood tests to guide adjustments in the medicine dose. It is important that the dose be right for you. A yearly visit to your doctor will help keep your levels normal and help you stay healthy overall. Be aware of the symptoms. If you note any changes or the return of symptoms, return to your doctor to see if you need to have your medicine dosage adjusted.

What would happen without medication to regulate my thyroid function?

If left untreated, hyporthyroidism can cause further problems, including changes in menstrual cycles, prevention of ovulation, and an increased risk of miscarriage. Symptoms such as fatigue, depression and constipation, may progress and there can be other serious consequences, including heart failure. It is also important to know that too much thyroid replacement hormone can mimic the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. This is a condition that happens when there is too much thyroid hormone. These symptoms include insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, heat sensitivity, increased perspiration, thinning of your skin, fine or brittle hair, muscular weakness, eye changes, lighter menstrual flow, rapid heart beat and shaky hands.

My pharmacist gave me the generic Mylan brand, is this ok? Sorry for so many questions, my wife thinks im overreacting...but if she knew how I felt she might not think that way. Can you explain why all of the sudden I just went from good to bad? That is what concerns me the most. I have had alot of the symptoms for a long time, but this is a whole new level.

I can only speak from experience I was full of symptoms and gripes but stable with TPOAb at 284 (<35 normal range scale) and with FT3 and FT4 concentrations at 45%. Then in three months time things dropped.. My FT4 went to 5% and my TPOAb jumped to 1695. This indicated that my body had decided to attack my thyroid with a vengence and my thyroid was fighting back with all at its disposal. I was having palpations, heart issues, vision loss for days do to classical migraines and inflammation.. etc. B supplementation and Magnesium and an active Fe rich multivit helped alleviate some of the symptoms.. but until I started levothyroxine eight days ago.. I was losing my hair and had a constant and steady groiter growth. I do not know if the hair loss will stop yet or the groiter growth.. but I do know that I have a bit more energy in the mornings on 50 mcg, my neck pain stops for 3-4 hours after taking my meds, and my elevated HR and BP have dropped.

I do admit I am very obsessed right now, I just want to get better...I am too young to feel crappy everyday. I know there are many people in the same situation, or worse. I am sure alot of you know the anxiety and uncertainty this brings. Thank you again for your help, if anyone else wants to voice their opinions and suggestions it would ease my mind. This board is a big help for me already, doctors do not explain things sometimes and kinda make me feel like it is no big deal...but it is to me! Thanks!

Obsessed.. good word. Yeap. I am the same way. My husband was calling my a hypochondriac.. but my new MD has set him straight, especially after finding the node in my thyroid and pointing out my T4 concentrations are insufficient to meet my needs much less any baby we want to have in the future. I am 32 and understand the feeling of why me. Just think of this. You are not alone. This is not the end.. give your meds time. At least you do not have to worry about the hormone fluxes we females deal with.. or pregnancy. It could be worse.

MG

Old 01-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

Thanks for all the info, I guess things could be worse. I did have a few more questions, if you know the answers that would be nice. I am going on vacation to Jamaica 5 weeks from today...can't wait! I am not a heavy drinker, but at a 5 star all inclusive resort in paradise it is nice to let loose. Is it safe to drink with this medication and condition? I have not had a drink in 6 weeks, but like I said Im not a heavy drinker so no big deal. I did or do not want to complicate anything, plus I wanted to know what was going on with my body.

I know there are a number of Women on both sides of my family that have tyroid problems or had them removed. I know it is more common in women. Besides hereditary, is there anything that could have brought this upon myself? Obviously the only thing to do know is to treat it, but it would be nice to know a cause for the effect. I really appreciate your kindness, is your husband starting to understand what your going through? My wife can be kinda unsympothetic, which really hurts my feelings, because if it was her who was feeling bad I would do everything in my power to help out. I guess people deal with things differently. Thanks again, I know the people here understand.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

The only thing I would add is if your B-12 levels were low once upon a time, you need to have that checked out again. You could have pernicious anemia, which is different from iron anemia, and might likely need to start loading doses of B-12 injections to get your levels up. If it was a documented case of low B-12, and your gp doesn't pay attention to it, I personally would see a hematologist(blood doctor) to let him address the issue.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

First drinking with thyroid meds is fine. There will be no interaction with the drug, especially if you are taking it first thing in the morning. Just be careful to stay hydrated with the drinking. Dehydration and alcohol mean really bad hang over. I can not say the same for any other meds you might be on. BP and cholesterol meds often do not mix with alcohol. So enjoy but stay safe.

As to why me and how? Okay there are a few causes out there .
    Hormone fluxes due to puberty and pregnancy can activate genetically predisposed cadidates. Certain bacterial and viral infections that are close in genetic make up to the thyroid hormones will cause the body to get confused and mutate its defenses to attack the thyroid. Certain medications and too much iodine. Then there is always tha spontaneous mutation and developement of the disease.

Your MD will not speculate becaue the variables are to broad. You can look back to when you first started with your symptoms.. maybe an illness that lingered for months and had an aching throat and no fever to speak of?? But once again you can worry yourself with the woulda coulda done differentlies. I went through it.. and settled on blaming my mom. She just loves that. I don't seriously blame her or resent her , but it is fun to yank her chain about it. She didn't know when she was having us.. and technically I probably activated hers. SO we can blame each other. I am just praying for only boys.. there is a 40% genetic pass down that way versus an 80% in females. So far I have one boy. We want another child, but I flay myself about possibly passing on this pain in the neck and making them suffer like this.. Is it fair? Especially now I know? Well I guess it is just the genetic lottery. We can only do the best we can, we can not predict how anything happens.. just hedge our bets.

Sincerely,
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 01-12-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

I have two girls, and they are always saying, "I hope we don't get what you have!". And I always tell them that by the time they get it, if they do, I will have learned so much about this that we will be able to get it taken care of from the start! Of course, they have time on their side, with all of the medical advances that will be made in the future, it MIGHT be easier in the future to diagnose and treat thyroid diseases. I hope anyway.

I would like to add that in my case, I'm sure hormones/pregnancy set mine off. That was my first symptoms, although I didn't know it might be thyroid related. I thought all new mothers couldn't sleep at night, or lost all their weight by their six week checkup, or that sweating and feeling revved all the time was normal. Then, of course, I was labeled with "anxiety" for many years.

Last edited by sue1234; 01-12-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

Thanks for your responses I reallly appreciate it. I am sure people have different symptoms than others, and alot of them can be confused with alot of other diagnoses. I am guessing I have had this problem for awhile, I have had extremely cold feet for a very long time, thought it was just bad circulation. Anxiety started a few years back, but life changing events and such were to blame. I had to go to the ER one time because I thought I was having a heart attack while driving, felt all disoriented, dizzy...they diagnosed me as having migranes, which even I knew was not right. I do have dry skin, but I work outside. My hair is thinning, ok...balding, but so is my dad's. I have akward pains, and wierd feelings in general lately...it is hard to describe. Is that normal? Of course my PMS isn't a factor Some of the other classic symptoms are not present, which is good.

It is a shame it takes multiple times and misdiagnose after misdiagnose to find out the real problem. I wish our healthcare system worked differently. I find myself not trusting alot of doctors out there. They charge for every little thing, even if it was not neccessary to do...while other things they ignore. I know doctors diagnose by symptoms, but most in my experience just want to get you in and out as fast as they can to see more patients in a single day to make more money, then when the problem persists you have to go back and pay more money. They write worthless perscriptions, like motrin 500 or Naproxen...you can buy that over the counter! I also know for a fact they prejudge many people and will not give stronger meds because they think they are pill poppers. Sorry to vent, I am just discouraged in our system. If anyone has anymore words of wisdom let me know, I am all ears. Thank you!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes. Ackward pains I have a reoccuring almost pull in the shoulder and neck. Back pain off and on.. piercing hip pain from time to time.. tingling in joints ankles, feet, wrists, hands, jaw, and face.. occasional numbness in the neck, extremities and face. So yeah.. those are my wierd feelings.

MG

Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

I just thought of another odd symptom I have been having. Sometimes it feels like I have a big pill that never goes all the way down, also I have been burping all day today, the same thing occurred a week or so ago. If I take a breath I can make myself burp over and over and over. Not because I want to, it just happens. Is that strange or what? It is amazing how strange I feel, not normal at all. I feel like a Debbie Downer whaa whaaaaaaa

Old 01-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Think happy thoughts and try and go to a happy place. What you discribe sounds a lot like GERD or LPR. You might want to look into it. I developed GERD with my pregnancy. It continued afterward, I do not know if such is common with Hashi's or HypoT.. but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised.

MG

Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
    mole76
    (male)

mole76 HB User

I have GERD, and have been taking Nexium for a long time. I never had those symptoms before, I used to have bad heartburn, but do not get it now. It happened again today, repeatative burping... it is like I cannot breathe without burping. Maybe it is a side effect of the meds? I am going to just take them everyday at the same time and get blood work on Feb 11th. Hopefully it helps with everything, honestly I feel better now than I have in the last month. Do you get headaches and extremely tired for no reason? Today I did, crashed for like 2 hours for no reason at all...that is not like me! Take care.

Closed Thread