It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Endo Stopped Thyroid Meds for 6 weeks & Testing Adrenals - Anyone Else? Advice!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User
    Endo Stopped Thyroid Meds for 6 weeks & Testing Adrenals - Anyone Else? Advice!!!

After a long period of not being able to tolerate my thyroid meds, I finally got an appointment with an endo. She was actually very interested in my situation.

Prior to seeing her, a few weeks before Christmas, I gave up on the Armour and switched back to thyroxine, at 44mcg, but ended up going down to 22mcg, and even then was having continuing symptoms of dizziness, confusion, feeling hyper, but still hypo...

I had no idea what to do next. I was afraid to venture into the self-treatment area with my adrenals, even though my saliva test showed they were struggling.

She intends to test my adrenal function doing an acth stim test, and was especially convinced after seeing I had significant orthostatic hypotention. She asked if I had experienced it previously. I siad that I had experienced it since college.

Anyway, she wants me to stop all thyroid meds for 6 weeks and then test afresh to see what is going on in the thyroid department. I am concerned about this plan since, I have been very ill since before Christmas, and don't know if I can last 6 weeks.

Toward the end of the period of difficulty with the thyroid medicaiton, I seemed to get relief from the thyroid meds, but only for a bit, before I would feel very dizzy etc etc. The cycle definately had to stop, but now I am concerned about going really hypo.

Has anyone else been in this situation? and, if so, what happened over the six weeks? I am on day 6 of no thyroid meds. I must admit I feel better than being ill on them (as of today), but at the same time, am suffering from great mental slowness- and can't seem to drive as my eye/brain are not quick enough to take in all the stimuli necessary to drive. Weird feeling I am also afraid that my psych symptoms will return, as they were mediated to a great extent by the thyroid meds.

Any stories/advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
    Re: Endo Stopped Thyroid Meds for 6 weeks & Testing Adrenals - Anyone Else? Advice!!!

Hi Sparkles,
    You are realy having a bad time, I am so sorry to hear this.
    I once had a doctor who took me off all meds and that didn't work out for me.
    He treated by TSH only, took me of Armour and within 3 weeks I barely couldn't function.
    Can your doctor at least give you a tiny dose of Armour or Levo ?
    I hope thing will get better for you.
    Sparkles who is your Endo in Florida ?
    I used to live in Clearwater and I had a wonderful Endo in St.Petersburg,
    If things don't work out with your new Endo you might try the one I was seeing.

Good luck

Last edited by mauz; 01-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User
    Re: Endo Stopped Thyroid Meds for 6 weeks & Testing Adrenals - Anyone Else? Advice!!!

Thanks Mauz

Yeah, I am kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop as they say. I am feeling better, as the symptoms from my intolerance from the thyroid medication have passed, but still AWFUL - actually worse than before I started thyroid treatment over two years ago. But, no major anxiety or depression as yet has returned. Fingers crossed. I know I am just a week off the medication, so we shall see. My endo told me she wants to clear out my system and in six weeks will retest my thyroid. At this point, I am willing to go along with it. I am hoping something emerges from testing other aspects of my endocrine system and I get on some better track.

My endo is actually in Philadelphia. I was visiting for the holdiays...and was desperately ill. My brother-in-law is a dr and had a contact, so that is how things worked out I used to live in Phil, but now live in Gainesville. If the upcoming testing doesn't point to anything, I'll have to either go to Jax or maybe Tampa/Clearwater area. I'll be sure to ask you if I need to !

Why did your former endo take you off your medication?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi there, your post interests me very much, Long story dxn with graves after a few month of ptu started block and replace and havnt felt well since (not more than a few days if l remember) well had thyroid removed in july of last year and was started on 125mcg levo went hyper so had it reduced to 100mcgs approx 7/8 wks ago... l feel worse than ever 2 weeks ago my ft4 showed 23.1 top of range 22.0 l dont believe in these last 2 weeks my ft4 could of come down a great deal.. currently my worst symtpoms are the stomach discomfort horrendous upper back muscle spasms and feeling off balance for e;g went shopping yesterday and went to cafe sat near the esculator we had to move l was swaying just sat by it l felt sick! Im feeling pretty low right now lm sick of feeling ill l get my blood done again next week. Did you experience any of this? Thanks and l hope you get sorted asp x

Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It wasn't my Endo in Florida who took me off medication. I moved to Tucson and
    I went to a Naturopathic MD and he wanted me off the meds because my TSH was very low. I should have known better but I wanted to give him a chance so I went with it.
    I got so sick and finaly left him.
    I found a wonderful DO who doesn't treat by TSH.
    I hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
    beth511
    (female)

beth511 HB User

You might try levoxyl if you have not already. I could not tolerate the levothroid at all.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
    sparkles916
    Veteran
    (female)

sparkles916 HB User

Sadly, I have been on every thyroid medication, but to no avail. For the past number of days, I have been experiencing profound dizziness, esp when get up or when I bend over. Driving is still sketchy as I have trouble keeping up with the stimuli and feeling as if I am "floating" at times while driving.

I had my first panic attack in years the other day, and feel like I am slipping back into a psych situation as a result of no thyroid medication. I could deal with the physical symptoms so far, but not the anxiety etc.. I have felt more emotional lability and have had crying spells and waves of out and out fear come over me. It is not pleasant.

I see the endo on Wed for my acth stim test. Goodness knows if I will be clinical in terms of endo-world as far as the adrenals go ( I understand that mild dysfunction is not considered a problem, only true adrenal insufficiency.) However, at the moment, I am concerned about the remaining 4 1/2 weeks of no thyroid meds she directed. So, I am sure we will have a discussion about this.

Will keep you all posted. This is not fun, and I am quite worried about my situation. But, my family is helping me through this and I am trying to keep strong. I have been through worse in the pre thyroid/psych treatment days. So, I know I can survive!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
    mauz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sparkles I felt the same after stopping the meds.
    The dizziness and anxiety was terrible.
    My new doctor told me it is not good to just stop the medication he thought my old doctor should have decreased my meds slowly.
    When I started my medication again the dizziness and anxiety went away.
    I hope you feel better soon !!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi all since its late tonight i will be back tomorrow i too couldnt tolerate the thyrold meds and in june 07 i stopped all meds been off mine since then and my tsh t4 and the t3 and ft3 and ft4 have been going up then down and back and forth and as of right now i will horrible my tsh was 3.14 and t4 is 0.8 and the ft3 is 299 -two nine nine but i will be back tomorrow to write more cause i feel like im in the same boat as you are .im suppose to be hypo but im haveing some hyper symtoms
    vickie

Closed Thread