It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Question about digestive issues and thyroid.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User
    Question Question about digestive issues and thyroid.

Does anyone know if a person's digestive system is effected by the thyroid? I am in question at this point about being hypothyroid because with a TSH reading of 2.7 my doctor does not see a problem. ( I know about the new lab numbers, and that even some labs are going all the way down to 2.0 as being suspect ) But there have been times in my life within the last 10 years when I am just not hungry. It always seems to be that something stressful is happening in my life, but then I started to think, could the thyroid make one lose their appetite? I also have digestive issues such as possibly having acid reflux, and bloating. But my main symptom right now is that I just don't have much of an appetite. I have to think about eating, and eat when it is time. But I am not hungry. Has anyone else experienced this, or know if the thyroid could be responsible for this? Thanks so much.

Tricia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Re: Question about digestive issues and thyroid.

YES! Some of our thyroid experts here will warn against feeling like everything wrong is thyroid related, and I agree. However, when I first got really sick 14 months ago one of my first symptoms was no appetite. I also had issues digesting my food and with acid reflux. Once I got my numbers optimized I had the appetite again and digestion was better, still have issues with the reflux. Have you had your Free T4 and Free T3 levels checked? Some people find that even though your TSH might be 'in-range' that their Free T levels are off and thus still have hypo symptoms and would benefit from treatment.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
    Ginger9909
    (female)

Ginger9909 HB User

Yes definitely. Since my diagnosis with hashi's 5 years ago it seems like i have nothing but digestive problems and my newest problem is nausea which has been happened for the past 3 months, it will come around every few weeks and last for a few days. Nothing helps it not even the nausea meds my doctor gave me. I also seem to get gas pockets in the upper area of my chest. Very strange things have been happening and always seems to get worse & worse.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User
    Question Re: Question about digestive issues and thyroid.

Thank you so much for your replies. My free T4 was 1.1 and my total T3 was 102. Does it seem like those numbers could contribute to digestive issues?
    Thanks so much.

Tricia

Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

What were the ranges on your TT3 and FT4? The T3 in particular looks low. Have you had antibody testing done for Hashimoto's? It might be worth it.

First normal TSH range is now 0.3-3.0. 2.7 is indicative of thyroid dysfunction. You need to be with an MD that knows this. Second optimal FT3 and FT4 levels are in the 50-80% of the normal range. Anything less and many begin to have under active thyroid symptoms.

Next YES the thyroid if it is your issue regulates all your metabolic processes including the digestive track. Acid reflux can be due to your body not knowing when to shut off acid production, gas, water retention, constipation, loss of appetite, fatigue, and weight gain are some of the first symptoms to develop. Then hair thinning/loss, female cycles, mood, etc.

I think you need to find a new MD. I can recommend a source that helps pin point more open minded thyroid savvy MDs. It helped me find one after failing to get treatment with my positive Hashimoto's and slew of symptoms after five MDs passed on treating me. The armour physician finder list certified MDs that prescribe Armour. If an MD uses Armour chances are better that they think outside the narrow box others live in and that they are up on the latest treatment regimes. However the best way to find out is to MD shop and ask the nurse and MD straight up how do you treat thyroid conditions? What is the accepted normal ranges? What do you consider optimal? Do they take symptoms into account with treatment? Etc.. go in with your questions and don't accept your normal with out them telling you why? Every one is different and normal for one may not be normal for you.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
    katkatdd
    Veteran
    (female)

katkatdd HB User

Oh yes I have major digestive issues! And had my gallbladder removed last year and still suffer... I have read that stomach problems and bowel problems can be a sign of thyroid dysfunction.

It is also interesting because I heard Whoopi Goldberg say she never has an appetite either and she basically lives off of a liquid diet and has to remind herself to eat and can go for days without feeling hungry. And she also mentioned she has a thyroid problem. So it is just interesting to me how all of it connects together!!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
    Tricia2007
    (female)

Tricia2007 HB User
    Question Re: Question about digestive issues and thyroid.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes Kat, I do remember Whoopie making that comment about no appetite too. That IS very interesting because I did not know she had a thyroid problem.

MKG, I really agree with your feelings about an MD. I even know the ranges are no longer 5.0 and I know so little about all of this. But I do know that fact when it comes to TSH levels.

I will give you my ranges according the labs:

T4 total 6.8 3.8-12.0 UG/DL
    T4 Free 1.1 0.8-1.8 NG/DL
    T3 total 102 60-181 NG/DL

I am sorry I did not include the ranges originally.
    What do you think now that you see the ranges?

Thanks so much.
    Tricia

Closed Thread