It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but think I may actually have hypothyroidism??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but think I may actually have hypothyroidism??

I was having quite a number of different symptoms and was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia by my rheumatologist last year. However, I suddenly had a thought come to mind that I may be hypo.
    1) Have anemia..low MCV and low MCH.
    2) Muscle and joint pain
    3) Low basal body temperature and an average body temperature of 36.2-4C throughout the day. That's low, right??
    4) I think I have some swelling around my thyroid/above collarbone and it feels 'full' and I have difficulty swallowing. Thinking it may be an enlarged thyroid??
    5) Brain fog and dizziness
    6) I have a non-functioning pituitary microadenoma...dont know if it's got anything to do with it.
    7) Had TSH tested a few months ago, and it was 'normal'..dont know what the result is, though. But havent had T4 or T3 measured.

Any ideas??? From symptoms I think it sounds like I have a hypoactive thyroid, but my TSH was 'normal', whatever that value was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    Re: Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but think I may actually have hypothyroidism??

Oops, lets not forget severe fatigue!!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    Re: Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but think I may actually have hypothyroidism??

Oh and really bad cold intolerance!! But yeah, I just found a recent letter from my doctor which says I had a thyroid function test (guessing it was just TSH?) and it was normal. Hmm. Should I still see an endocrinologist or not?? I just really want to get to the bottom of what's causing my symptoms!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

Yes, it's nice to know that someone with FMS may be hypoT. Although it's obviously not exactly nice to have either! I don't know if fibro counts as an autoimmune condition, really...but having one AI condition increases your chances of having another AI condition. Eg. Hashimoto's, which is AI hypoT. Do you have a goiter, by any chance?? Did you have Free T3 and T4 checked, as well as TSH?

My testosterone is also high - apparently this has something to do with hypoT as well??

Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

To the OP:

I have iron deficiency anemia. My thyroid levels are fine. Iron deficiency anemia will cause all of the problems/symptoms you have listed. I think if you get the anemia and ferritin levels raised, you will be feeling a lot better.

Has no one addressed your anemia?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
    jonoct3
    (female)

jonoct3 HB User

Hi Fisherkj,
    As I'm reading your post with your numbers I would say find another doc. Your numbers are showing that you have Hypo T. I have been reading thyroid boards for about 2 years as I had a issue with my thyroid swelling up but my numbers have always been "normal" and I was told in Nov 07 that I had FMS. My numbers are much better then yours and I still wonder if it is really my thyroid and not FMS. There are some "experts" on this board that might be able to help more with your lab values, but it looks like they are not even using the current recommeded ranges for the labs. Hopefully someone with a better understanding with post with some advise. Everyone on these boards are so helpful and great! Good luck!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
    jonoct3
    (female)

jonoct3 HB User

I would bring a copy with you, even though he might want to order more. I believe the TSH level should be under 3 with new lab guidelines. You can do some reseach on the board and find out for sure.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fischerkj View Post
    Hey there ... I'm not really sure about FMS as an autoimmune condition either.

Don't think i have a goiter per se, but my throat has felt (how can i describe it?) -- "full" over the past few months. It almost feels like its hard to swallow (like when your throat is super dry) but all the time. (I drink A LOT of water every day!)

My doc just put me through a large slew of tests (starting in December ... I've been "poked" four separate times over the last 6 weeks, with at least 5, many times more, vials each time. Anyways ... here are the levels I have so far...

12/10 - tested "hematology" and all came back "normal", however, in looking more closely at the exact #'s all of them came in at one end of the normal-range, either high or low. they also tested my TSH.
    TSH - 6.36 (stated normal range: 0.20-4.50)

They sent me back for more tests after the TSH came back at 6.36. So ...

1/2 - tested TPO Antibody, Free Thyroxine and Free T3.
    TPO - 147.7 (stated normal range: 0.0-3.9)
    Free Thyroxine - 1.2 (stated normal range: 0.8-1.8) told I was "normal"
    Free T3 - 3.0 ((stated normal range: 2.3-4.2) told I was "normal"

They sent me back again to have everything "re-checked" in 3/4 weeks. So ...

1/25 -
    TPO - 122.6 (stated normal range: 0.0-3.9)
    TSH - 3.39 (normal range 0.20-4.50) -- not sure why this "changed" but again I'm "normal"

Oh, so now ... my doc (on Monday) told me that everything I'm feeling is hypoT, but, my blood is "normal" so, oh well, you're not hypoT. But, who knows it may be a virus, or lupus, or mono, or liver/kidney function failures. So, again, more tests. I haven't received the results yet, but should in about a week.

one more thing ... yesterday (tuesday) my doc sent me for an ultrasound of my thyroid gland. it was not the most comfortable experience i've had -- the nurse held the probe thing on my throat, and it felt like someone was choking me (but only from the front). wierd.

anyways -- sorry to just babble on and on. (I had to drop my honey at the airport at 5:00 am ... so i'm at work super early, and needing to think.)

talk to you soon -
    kj
    What do you mean your doctor said your blood is 'normal'. Your TSH is too high!!!

Have you had your ferritin tested?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
    To the OP:

I have iron deficiency anemia. My thyroid levels are fine. Iron deficiency anemia will cause all of the problems/symptoms you have listed. I think if you get the anemia and ferritin levels raised, you will be feeling a lot better.

Has no one addressed your anemia?

My ferritin is 9!! So yes, I prob do need iron supplements!! Nobody has mentioned this to me, though.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

I asked my dr if i could have iron supplements (although I can just buy these myself, OTC) and he said that because my ferritin has gone down from 20 > 16 > 9, he doesn't want me to 'mask' the values by taking ferritin now, and thinks we should just monitor it, because it seems to be dropping?! hmm. I just want to start taking iron asap...oh well.
    But could my low basal temp be because of the ferritin, rather than my thyroid??

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fischerkj View Post
    TSH - 6.36 (stated normal range: 0.20-4.50)

They sent me back for more tests after the TSH came back at 6.36. So ...
    1/2 - tested TPO Antibody, Free Thyroxine and Free T3.
    TPO - 147.7 (stated normal range: 0.0-3.9)

They sent me back again to have everything "re-checked" in 3/4 weeks. So ...

1/25 -
    TPO - 122.6 (stated normal range: 0.0-3.9)
    TSH - 3.39 (normal range 0.20-4.50) -- not sure why this "changed" but again I'm "normal"
    kj
    You need to look for a different MD in my opinion. You hav Hashimoto's given the positive TPOAb tests and the accepted normal for TSH is now 0.3-3.0. However normal is not always normal for you. You want optimal blood results. Optimal TSH .89-1.1. Optimal FT3 and FT4 readings 50-80% of range where you no longer have any thyroid induced symptoms.

Your percentages are:
    FT4 - [1.2-.8]/[1.8-.8] * 100 = 40% below optimal range as well.
    FT3 - [3-2.3]/[4.2-2.3] * 100 = 36.8% below optimal range as well.

With these levels a small dose of 25-50 mcgs of Synthroid might be able to check the Hashi's attacks and make your symptoms go away. I was in a similar state as you and then my antibodies jumped to 1695 and things went to pot quick.

MG

Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Innocence,

Has your MD even considered Hashimoto's or secondary hypothyroidism as a resutl of hypopituitarism? There is way too much going on there to settle with a normal TSH when you have so many hypoT symptoms. Push for the Ft3 and Ft4 tests. Many Hashi sufferers never go out of normal range in TSH but bottom out due to a dead thyroid. Hashi antibodies are known to interfere with the TSH binding agents. I hate you are suffering and question why the MD is not treating your anemia's. I would strongly suggest a new MD, but given the system in England do not know if you can get a new MD.

I truly wish you better help soon.
    MG

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #13
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

Innocence,
    How was your fibromyalgia diagnosed ?
    Was is based purely on symptoms or were there any direct tests ?
    Did a GP diagnose or a rheumatologist ?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User

Thank you very much, ********! I was starting to doubt whether my symptoms really are related to hypoT or whether it's all due to low ferritin levels, since that can cause fatigue and low body temperatures, etc? My GP doesn't want to 'mask' the low ferritin by starting on iron supplements, since my ferritin has been rapidly decreasing from around 30 to 16 to 9...and he wants to find the cause, and do one more blood test to see if it has decreased again! i can kind of see the logic, but then again I feel so bad and want to start taking iron as quickly as possible (if that will even help). Is low ferritin a condition on its own/due to heavy periods/malaborption most of the time, or is it often a symptom of hypoT. I eat a lot of iron-rich food (so a bit doubtful that I'm iron deficient), and don't have heavy periods.
    Did you assume that I have hypopit, because of my pit microadenoma?? It was determined to be non-functioning at the time, which was in Novemeber. Although I've read that it can result in secondary hypoT. But then again, that would directly affect the TSH levels.
    My free T3 and T4 haven't been checked, but my GP promised to do blood tests for ferritin and FT3, FT4 tomorrow...but I will only see my endocrinologist in a month or so!
    I haven't had the TPO or Tg antibody tests done..i guess I will have to wait to see my endo for that. I do have a 'tight' feeling and sense of fullness in my neck, so perhaps that's also related. However, this seems to come and go (usually is present) !

dream77, I was diagnosed by one of the best rheumatologists in the country, but it was purely because I was referred to him because my previous GP was considering a rheumatological cause to my symptoms, and the rheumatologist excluded all autoimmune conditions, with lots of blood tests covering everything possible (apart from thyroid ones!!). It was a diagnosis of exclusion and based on my painful joints, muscles, fatigue..etc..which could be due to something else, i suppose!! What about you???

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am going on personal experience with 5% FT levels and a TSH of 2. I have Hashimoto's and almost every hypoT symptom in the book. To top it off my TPOAbs started attacking my heart function as well. My antibodies keep my pituitary gland out of the loop. It thinks I am getting everything I need because the antibodies bind with it s receptors.. thus it doesn't scream for more T4/T3 to be made as a result. Thus one can not only look at the TSH and rule out thyroid function. TSH is controlled by the pituitary gland. If pituitary gland doesn't function properly you get secondary hypoT/hyperT as a result.

I had low ferritin, B12, B2 and Mg. This is very common when your metabolism is shot due to an ineffective endocrine system. The TSH is not the be all tell all. You have to look at it all. Conversion of T4 to T3, T3 and T4 blood concentration levels. Pituitary function tests exist and should be performed. The fact that you had a non functioning pituitary result was just a gimme. The come and go tightness and swelling really smacks of Hashimoto's as well. Hashi's doesn't start out constantly hammering your thyroid. You develop anti-bodies and they attack your thyroid.. then your thyroid releases a flood of T4 in response and tries to step up function (causing inflammation and swelling). When the thyroid kicks back into gear.. the antibodies attack again.. then the cycle repeats and shortens as more and more antibodies are made less thyroid is available to kill. Gotta love internal body warfare. As if staying healthy and looking good isn't hard enough.. no our bodies have to get bored and attack itself. Sorry side vent there.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 02-12-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Closed Thread