It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
    happysap1
    (female)

happysap1 HB User
    Thyroid nodule

I was diagnosed w/ a thyroid nodule on my left side 4 cm in size. My thyroid test was normal and so was my thyroid scan. I had a needle biopsy and it was non cancerous. I am not displaying any hoarsness, pressure, or discomfort. I went to an ENT who specializes in thyroids and he feels he needs to remove this plus 1/2 my thyroid. He states it will probably cause problems in the future. If everything is ok w/ my thyroid then why not remove the nodule only? Anybody tell me any side affects from the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroid nodule

There are 2 very good reasons for at least a partial thyroidectomy in your case:

1. The FNA biopsy only takes our a cluster of cells/tissue. The only way to know the entire thing is benign, is to remove it. In such a large tumor, sometimes cells mutate over time, and there can be cancerous, or precancerous cells growing deep within it.

2. They have to take the entire lobe, and you can live a long healthy one without it. Your tumor is actually large, the size of the lobe, and it would be very challenging to leave the unhealthy lobe intact. If you had, let's say, a pinky size tumor growing on your pinky, that's what it would be like. The normal practice is to remove it. You will still have your other lobe, which often can take over and function for the entire thyroid. If this nodule grows any further, it can go down your windpipe, into your chest, and become even more difficult to remove.

My surgery was pretty easy, a quick recovery, but I advise you to get the best surgeon you can find with a lot of experience.....best of luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
    cheryltwin
    (female)

cheryltwin HB Usercheryltwin HB User

happysap... i am in the same boat exactly...5cm nodule... no symptoms whatsoever... blood work all fine as well... the dr. says it needs to come out... i can't help but wonder why i shouldn't wait until there are some symptoms...they have been watching mine for a couple of years... having another ultrasound this upcoming thursday... so we'll see if it's grown... sorry, i don't know much about why they can't just remove the nodule and leave the thyroid... that's also one of my questions... best of luck to you... i think that being educated is the best we can do... and we all have to make decisions based on the information we have...

Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
    happysap1
    (female)

happysap1 HB User

I have picked one of the best ent who specialize in thyroid and neck surgerys. He seemed very knowledgable and called me at home several times since I have been uneasy about this procedure. The only thing that bothered me was he said if he did the surgery on Fri I could be quick back to work on Mon or Tues. Is it a quick recovery like that?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I think you might want to take a couple of days off, just because you never know how you react to anesthesia, and you want to rest and not overdue it. I was doing things immediately, but I was working from home, if I had worked in an office, I would have tired out very easily.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
    paris99
    (female)

paris99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happysap1 View Post
    I was diagnosed w/ a thyroid nodule on my left side 4 cm in size. My thyroid test was normal and so was my thyroid scan. I had a needle biopsy and it was non cancerous. I am not displaying any hoarsness, pressure, or discomfort. I went to an ENT who specializes in thyroids and he feels he needs to remove this plus 1/2 my thyroid. He states it will probably cause problems in the future. If everything is ok w/ my thyroid then why not remove the nodule only? Anybody tell me any side affects from the surgery?
    Hi happysap
    I too had thyroid nodules on my left side The largest was 4 cm as well. My test were all normal, so was both biopsies. After about a year of keeping an eye on things all of a sudden I was having a hard time swallowing. Then my voice went hoarse. The tumor was very noticable as well. I had half of my thyroid removed 12 days ago. The surgery itself went well. No fever or infection but I'm having a very hard time breathing and swallowing and I can't talk. I went back to the ER a couple of days ago. He said I have a paralyzed vocal cord. I see the Surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully, He can help. So I wouldn't suggest you having this done unless its absolutely necessary.
    I hope you don't have any problems. Hopefully it will quit growing. I hope you get this. I don't know what I'm doing yet. I'm new to the site.
    Paris

Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
    stephanie867
    (female)

stephanie867 HB User

I have a 3.8cm nodule that we're just watching. I'm fine, my bloodwork is fine, and I don't see any reason to mess with surgery right now. My endo wanted to jump into surgery after the initial diagnosis, but my holistic dr. advised against it, since it wasn't bothering me, and is treating me with a tincture he thinks might help.

I'm due for another ultrasound in June, so we'll see what happens.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
    stina3246
    (female)

stina3246 HB User

I had a thyroid nodule that started at about 3cm, 15 years ago and was noticable. All biopsies have always come back normal, ultrasounds, uptake scans, lab work all showed that it was likely benign so we just always took the wait and see approach. About 2 months ago it REALLY began to bother me. I had a lot of pain and pressure in the thyroid area, a lump in the throat feeling, trouble swallowing. It had grown to almost 5 cm. My doctor told me it was time to get it out. Then reading up on nodules here I learned that they CAN (not likely but a possability) change into cancer.
    I had a right lobectomy 14 days ago.
    The whole surgery took 45 min! I woke up with a mild sore throat and a little pain in the incision area that was easily helped with pain meds. I had a drainage tube which was probably the most uncomfortable part. I could talk the moment I woke up. I was in the hospital over night and released the next morning. The best part was the doctor recommended I take 1 week off so I felt great AND had a little vacation! I was off all pain meds accept for tylenol after 3 days.
    Now 2 weeks later the feeling in the incision is coming back so the skin around it is sore but the scar is already fading. It REALLY was an easy surgery. I do wish I'd just had it done when we found the nodule because I had to have biopsies every few years, constant blood work, ultra sounds etc. to keep an eye on it. It really caused a lot of unneccassary stress every time I had it checked and I was lucky that the surgery was so short because it was a really big nodule. The bigger it gets normally the more difficult to remove. I think you are making the right decision and there are lots of people on here that have gone through the same thing and came through just fine, you will too.
    Good Luck

Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User

Hi all -
    I've never posted on the thyroid board before. But I saw this thread and wanted to share my story (what there is so far). Sorry if this is long.
    I had a complete round of blood work back in mid-December (I had bronchitis) and according to my primary care doc, everything came back normal - including thyroid. Last week at my yearly OBGYN appt, my doc was pressing and pushing on my neck and she said she felt something on the right side of my thyroid, and I should see my primary doctor to get it checked out. I saw my primary doc the next day, and she said it was probably nothing to worry about, but to be safe she sent me for a sonogram of the thyroid the next day. I just got my results back yesterday. I'm still upset with my primary doc's office because they didn't even call me with the results - I had to call them - several times. When they finally gave me the results, the doc wouldn't even get on the phone with me - she had her secretary tell me. All the secretary would tell me is that the sonogram showed some small nodules on the right side of my thyroid, and I need to see an endocrinologist (sp??). I asked several times to speak to the doctor - if nothing else, just to see if this was normal or if I should really be worried - but the doc wouldn't talk to me (guess who's looking for a new primary care doc after all this is over). So, then I began the task of calling every Endo's office I could - none could see me until late March - at the earliest. Turns out, a relative called in a favor with her doc, and I have an appointment this afternoon (thank god). So basically, I don't even know how large or small these nodules are, or even how many there are. I'm guessing that's all in the report that came from the radiology place that did the sonogram, and that's what my primary doc's office is supposed to be sending to endo's office for my appointment this afternoon. I guess I'll know more later today, but I'm still very freaked out by this - I don't know what to expect. Any words of encouragement or personal experiences are welcomed! Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
    stina3246
    (female)

stina3246 HB User

Snogal, try not to freak out. Apparently nodules are VERY common and 90-95% come back benign. Even if it does turn out to be cancer, it is VERY curable. It is very frustrating that your doctor won't talk to you BUT chances are, he really isn't worried about it so doesn't see this as a priority. I think all of us on here at one point or another have gone through all the stress and worry so you are NOT alone. Stick around and do some reading. (see my story above) Let us know what you find out at the doctors.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
    tdooders1
    (female)

tdooders1 HB User

I had a ping pong size nodule right smack on my Isthmus. Doctor said I was rare because most nodules are on either the left or right side of the lobes. I went to the ENT because I was having horrible sinus infections. He examined my neck and said he felt a lump on my thyroid. Went and had an ultrasound on it. I had surgery November 2006. They took the nodule along with the Isthmus. Took out two lymp nodes. Everything came back ok except had hurthle cells which Im not too sure on what those are. I still have my left and right lobes. Before I knew I had a nodule for years I would wake up in the middle of night kinda choking/coughing horribly. Was sick all the time with colds and sinus infections. Once I had the nodule out I havent had a cold since and the sinus infections arent so bad. Its been 15 months and they are still trying to regulate the dosage of Synthroid I take. Ive bee on all dosages. Im now on 75 mcg. I go just about every month to have my levels checked. Am doing better since the beginning. My TSH level was a 58 and now is 1.66. I sometimes think it would be better to take the rest of the thyroid out. Has anyone every half part taken out and then later the rest?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User

My visit to the Endo went well yesterday. Glad to report that he doesn't think it's anything to be worried about. Said they're very common. They drew some blood to do some thyroid-specific tests, so we'll have those results next week. If all is OK with the blood work, I go back in July for a follow-up and another ultrasound. Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Snogal-You might want to look at the Thyroid for Dummies book written by Dr. Rubin. It is very good. There is a chapter on thyroid nodules. And, explanations about thyroid operations and cancer. One positive thing that he says is that where there are multiple nodules -cancer is unlikely. The book has answered so many thyroid questions that I have and has turned out to be right when my endo has been wrong on 2 occasions about drug interaction with thyroid meds.Good luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User

Thanks for the info about the book - I'll check it out!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
    Dawndee
    (female)

Dawndee HB User

I'm getting thyroid surgery on 2/19. I have a nodule on my left thyroid lobe that has hurthle cells. How was your recovery?--tdooders1

Last edited by Dawndee; 02-16-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Closed Thread