It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Q's about LAb results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
    clueless42
    (female)

clueless42 HB User
    Q's about LAb results

Hello!

A friend of mine is having some problems - depression, crying spells, disrupted sleeping - and I suggested she get her thyroid checked just to rule it out. I gave her a list of what she should have tested - TSH, free T3, free T4 and antibodies for Hashis and Graves. A psychiatrist she saw said she needed blood work done prior to prescribing anything to rule out other issues. I was very impressed with that! No dr had done any blood work on me before treating me!
    Any way, she went to hand the tests I suggested to the dr and the dr said she didn't need it, they know what to test for.

Here are the tests and their results
    TSH 2.542 range 0.350-5.500 ( I know the range is incorrect!)
    Thyroxine (T4) 8.5 4.5-12.0
    T3 Uptake 24 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.0 1.2-4.9
    Triiodothyronine (T3) 170 85-205
    Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S
    T4, Free (Direct) .85 0.61-1.76

She was told all her results were, of course, normal. Do you think she should have more tests done?

I just don't want anyone to go thru the hell that I've gone thru!

Thanks
    clueless42

Last edited by clueless42; 02-19-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Q's about LAb results

She is not normal and she is easily on her way to being hypoT IMO. The question is why.. additional tests I would have done are antibodies for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lab codes TPOAb and TGAb.

TSH 2.542 range 0.350-5.500 ( I know the range is incorrect!)
    My Endo considered this borderline thyroid failure and would begin treatment at this level if you had Hashimoto's.
    Thyroxine (T4) 8.5 4.5-12.0
    There is a 20% error in this test.. but it shows a T4 concentration of 53.3% +/- 20 %
    T3 Uptake 24 24-39
    This is borderline low. She is not converting T4 to T3 well.
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.0 1.2-4.9 Just another erronous way to measure T4.. not a necessary test.
    Here we go.. these are the best active thyroid hormone tests you can get at the moment:

Triiodothyronine (T3) 170 85-205
    Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S
    T4, Free (Direct) .85 0.61-1.76

T3 concentration is in optimal range: [170-85]/[205-85]*100 = 70.83 %
    T4 concentration is way to low [.85-.61]/[1.76-.61]*100 = 20.87 %

This is indicative of somthing going on.. Hashimoto's thyroiditis would be my first bet. Second would be secondary hypothyroidism due to pituitary gland issues. I would definitely get to a thyroid savvy MD for further investigation. I am secondary hypoT as a result of Hashimoto's and went through the same concentration fluxes and hormonal swings as my antibodies hammered away at my thyroid. It is very hard to catch Hashi's early on by abnormal blood work TSH and FT levels. You can hang just in normal range for years and your TSH may never go out of normal range. Normally you have to get lucky and fight for an MD to run antibody tests early or wait until the antibodies completely kill the thyroid resulting in the FTs falling below range or wait for groiter formation before an MD catches on. It took me a year to get Hashi's diagnosed and then treated after five years of symptoms. My mother has Hashi's and Graves it took her and her four sisters 5 - 13 years to get diagnosed. Do not sit back on this one. It is possible you are looking at the early stages of Hashimoto's. This can cause many side effects if left untreated. Read up on Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Get your friend to start asking about in her family to determine a history of thyroid disease and function. Also look to the sources or triggers of Hashi's. When did her symptoms start. Has she had a baby recently, been put on hormone supplements, been ill for an elongated period with a viral or bacterial infection, had mono recently? These are all possible triggers to activate a latent hashimoto's autoimmune immune condition. Good luck and thanks for standing by your friend. Thyroid treatment and diagnosis unfortunately can take years if you are not aggressive enough in pursuing your own treatment and diagnosis.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
    clueless42
    (female)

clueless42 HB User

THANK YOU!!!
    I didn't think some of them looked right either, but I'm not as knowledgable as others!
    I will print your response and give it to her, unless that is an issue.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Go for it. Print it and share. Get her on the board. I have Hashimoto's and am secondary hypoT. My family is riddle with AIs. As I said getting diagnosed and not having the MDs blame weight gain on being lazy or diet or.. X .. my favorite was the endo saying it was because I exercised to much.

I wish you both the best getting answers.

MG

Closed Thread