It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Newbie - switching from Synthroid to Armour-Any Advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
    hhg
    (female)

hhg HB User
    Newbie - switching from Synthroid to Armour-Any Advice?

Hi everyone - I have been hypo for 5 years and have not felt "normal" since, have depression, no energy, brain fog, every bad symptom there is, plus have gained 60 pounds. My doctor (regular physician) found the problem and started me out on Synthroid 75mcg, then went to 100mcg, back and forth until deciding that 88mcg might work best for me. Last Sept, after not feeling myself in years I was tired of it and finally went to an Endo. She told me it was too low a dose and put me on 112mcg, but said I didnt need any other supplements. I took it for the past 6 months with heart palpitations, anxiety, panic attacks (had never had one before), not sleeping, etc...but never associated the side effects with the medicine (had other things going on in my life). Finally last week, a friend recommended Armour. She is on it and does well with it. My doctor agreed to switch me and gave me 2 grains (or 120mg). I felt GREAT the first 2 days on it - tons of energy, running around like I hadnt done in years, brain fog started to lift, etc. Well, I was reading the official website for Armour and checked the dosage chart. It said the equivalent to 100mcg of synthroid was 60mg of Armour. Out of fear of being over dosed, I took the liberty of breaking the pill in half. However, after reading all the posts here, I am wondering if I need to actually go back to taking the whole 120mg. I have been very tired, and sleeping alot, which I never do. The anxiety is gone though. I also read on another message board that some people were taking 2 grains, 3 grains, 4 grains, etc. plus all these supplements like cortisol (for adrenal problems). I am so confused. Do you guys think I am taking the correct dosage? Is 1 grain (or 60mg) a good "starting" dose? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Is this just trial and error?? I do not have any of my lab work to post the stats here. Sorry. THANK YOU!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Newbie - switching from Synthroid to Armour-Any Advice?

First of all, congratulations for having such an open-minded, thyroid-savvy doc! That's half the battle.

I wouldn't take the Armour conversion chart at face value. For one thing, the exchange rate there assumes perfect conversion of T4 to T3 within the body. That's something that rarely happens and can't be counted on. So a more realistic conversion would be 1 grain (60 mgs) per only 75 mcgs of T4. That said, 120 mgs might be a tad high for you at the moment, but it won't be forever. For the time being, it wouldn't be an awful idea to take only half and see how you react. But be sure to tell your doc what you've done when retesting time comes. She'll want to know your levels based on the dose you've actually been taking, not the one she prescribed but you haven't been taking.

I have been taking 120 mgs for about 3 years; my doc has vast experience with Armour and told me that most of his female patients end up on 120-150 for maintenance... that it's the average full replacement dose for most.

I hope you'll benefit as much from Armour as I have!

Closed Thread