It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How much vit D is really counted as "Low"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User
    How much vit D is really counted as "Low"

Hi,
    With the recent neuropathy I am facing I am trying to research what could be causing it. All the docs I've seen tell me there may be no reason for it and I'll just have to live with it and eat pain meds for it.

I am not convinced that there isn't a reason for it.. it is just that there isn't enough medical research to know the cause for it.
    I have a theory that the thyroid while trying to fight the thyroid peroxidase is messing up and leaching nutrients off the rest of my system.

(I wish it would just sacrifice itself and not fight and let me take medication so that atleast the rest of me is intact)

Anyways I've been looking into nutrient and deficiencies and wondering what may be causing it and the inability for me to gain weight as well.

My vit D levels were 27 (recommended threshold is 30+) and my latest rheumatologist wants to attribute everyting to "depression" and says those vit D levels were not low enough to cause neurological issues and it got me thinking about what is really low enough to count as a danger sign for neurological issues ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
    TDCRose
    (female)

TDCRose HB User
    Re: How much vit D is really counted as "Low"

I don't know if I can be of much help, but my Endo said that the recommend amount of Vit D will probalbly be increased to at least 800 IU(I think that's the unit) daily instead of the 400. My Vit D was down to around 12. I started taking 800 to 1200 units a day and the tingling(electric type current) lessened in my hands,face and feet. I also upped my calcium to 1200 units daily even though my serum calcium was on the high side. Once I started synthroid the numbness and aches went away. The pains are creeping back though and endo increased my synthyroid.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User
    Re: How much vit D is really counted as "Low"

Hi Dream77, I also have low Vitamin D. It started at 19 (32-100) and I took the 50,000IU pills for weeks. My level went to 47. I took 1000IU/day and my level dropped to 21. I am on the 50,000IU again and just had my levels tested again. I am up to 35 with these megadoses still ongoing BUT I noticed that my blood test reference range has now changed to 40-100 which puts me below the level AGAIN.

My calcium level is high 10.3 (8.5-10.3) and ionized calcium is high 1.35 (1.17-1.32). I am still trying to figure this out??? I do not take calcium supplements. I am scared to because I don't want to increase my calcium any higher than it is. BUT Vitamin D encourages the intestines to absorb calcium from food eaten and it also tells the kidneys to not let any calcium escape into the urine. My Calcium , however, has always been at the high end of normal for the last few years. (9.9-10.3). So as my Vitamin D increases, I wonder if my calcium level will go even higher still? At this point, I am not sure what to think. My Endo says the Calcium is not high enough to consider parathyroid disease even though I have 11 of the 18 symptoms. Hoppy

Closed Thread