It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What do these test results tell me about my metabolism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
    mikeg090
    (male)

mikeg090 HB User
    What do these test results tell me about my metabolism?

Investigation of Carbohydrate Metabolism
    Hgb.AlC 5.1 (4.8 - 6.2) %

Thyroid Function
    TSH 3.28 (0.30 - 5.50) mU/L

Do these results tell me that I have a fast or slow metabolism? I am a 17 years old male by the way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Re: What do these test results tell me about my metabolism?

They say that you have good sugar metabolism and do not have diabetes.

They also say your lab does not use the new accepted reference range for TSH which is 0.30 - 3.0. You appear to have a slow metabolism and may by hypothyroid.

Midwest, mg, all you other hypo experts, where are you? I'm bumping this up for another opinion.

Last edited by accessn12; 03-29-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

I was doing the mommy thing this morning. Nap time. I can write and catch up.

Yes. The lab is using out of date ranges. A A C E changed the accepted normal thyroid TSH range to 0.3 -3.0 in 2002. Optimal for 90% of the population is 0.89-1.1.

You are hypothyroid. The question is why? When did you begin to suspect metabolic issues? Do thyroid issues run in your family? Your mom or grandmothers per chance.

You need the following additional tests run to get a full picture of your thyroid function.

TSH
    Free T4
    Free T3

Total T4
    Total T3
    T3 Uptake

TPOAb and TGAb - These are the Autoimmune Hashimoto's tests.

At the age of 8-10 children convert to the adult TSH range. Most because they are growing have lower TSH than adults 25 or older. Your TSH warrents complete and aggressive follow up. Do not let them blow you off as normal. What are your symptoms?

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
    mikeg090
    (male)

mikeg090 HB User

I am currently not experiencing any symptoms other than the fact that I'm not really using the bathroom to excrete wastes a whole lot (maybe twice a week). My slow metabolism may be due to the fact that I have been on a strict diet since September combined with intense exercise. Is there any way I can speed up my metabolism?

Last edited by mikeg090; 03-31-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Get the testing done. If you are hypothyroid due to autoimmune Hashimoto's, the only way to speed up your metabolism is through thyroid hormone replacement. This will be a life long ordeal, but it is worth. Living hypoT is not really living.

So your symptoms are:
    constipation
    weight gain or inability to lose excess

What about your mood, fatigue, sleep habits, skin and hair? The only safe thing you can due to enhance your metabolism is a balanced, fruit, meat, veggie, and water diet with daily exercise and a multivitamin. If this is not working then you need to see an endocrinologist that is thyroid savvy.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

What exactly do you mean by "strict diet"?
    Severe calorie restriction shuts down metabolism almost completely, because the body goes into starvation mode in an attempt to hold onto as much weight as possible.
    And think about it... No food = no bowel movement.

Frankly, you're making me think you have an eating disorder.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
    mikeg090
    (male)

mikeg090 HB User

By "strict diet" I mean limiting my daily calorie intake to 1200 calories or less. I have been doing this for about 3 months combined with intense daily 60-minute cardio exercise. Currently, my mood, fatigue, sleep habits, skin and hair all seem to be normal except for the fact that I feel very cold at certain times. I think my body may be in starvation mode. I need to know how to get out of this and resume normal eating without gaining back the fat.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Did you ever hear of BMR... Basal Metabolic Rate? That's the number of calories needed to support body functions while at complete rest.... The calories needed to keep your brain working, to breathe, to just sit there. I very much doubt that you - as a very young, very active male - are meeting your BMR with as few as 1200 calories. You no doubt feel "very cold at certain times" because there isn't enough fuel in the furnace to make a fire.

How to fix it? I'm no expert, and this isn't the right forum to go into it at length. (There a Diet and Nutrition Healthboard here. Check it out for specific suggestions.) To get advice about the exact number of calories you need, you should get a BMR test. If you can't, then the first thing you should do is increase your calories by at least 500 a day. Get them from lean protein and lots of whole grains, vegetables and fruit. (Whole grains etc. will get your bowels moving again.) Then you need to stop cardio training every day and add muscle-building exercise using weights. Muscle mass increases your BMR, which in turn, burns more calories.

You really are going about weight control in the very worst way possible. You will cause severe damage to your body and health if you don't correct your course now.
    I'd bet the farm that your thyroid has nothing to do with your metabolism problems and symptoms, and I hope you get on the right track soon.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-01-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
    nasmeana524
    (female)

nasmeana524 HB User

midwest1 -

i am new here and am replying to this post because i am DESPERATE for an answer and my question is related to mike's.

between last june and now, my TSH has ranged from 1.189 - 2.142.

i got a more extensive test done, with thyroxine, free thyroxine index, and t3 uptake.

the results are as follows:
    T4 - 6.3 (range:4.5-12)
    T3 uptake: 33 (range 24-39)
    Free Thyroxine Index: 2.1 (1.2-4.9)

What does this say about my metabolism?

Here is the catch. I am a diagnosed anorexic, who, at the start of my eating disorder, was on a 1400 calorie a day diet and exercising 30 minutes a day, five days a week. I was dropping a pound a week. Started at 154 pounds and dropped all the way to 126 pounds, all the while decreasing my caloric intake. I got down to about 800 - 1000 calories a day, with an hour of running a day, six days a week.

My TSH number crept up from 1.189 - 2.142 in the process, and those most recent lab results were taken a week ago. (Also, oddly, my cardiologist tested my TSH on March 14 and it came back 1.299. My GP tested my TSH on March 24 and it came back 2.42...with the t3 uptake, t4, and free thyroxine index values as posted above).

I have gotten into treatment and am hovering around 1200 calories a day with 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I have increased my caloric intake and decreased my exercise, and have not gained. In fact I have lost a pound or two: I am at 124 and have been there since August. My dietician thinks I have plateaued because my body has just "had enough", my metabolism has slammed on the brakes, and will re-adjust to normal once I am eating properly.

My question I guess is what do my test results mean, and could they be a result of my anorexia. Can I expect my metabolism to speed back up to a TSH of 1.189 or so as I recover?

You had said you are willing to bet that mike's thyroid tests should improve with more food and a better lifestyle.

Is it most likely that my issues are from anorexia? I am soooo paranoid that I am not "normal", and will gain 012389213 pounds if I start to eat more. That is a common psychological symptom of anorexia but it has been compounded by these numbers, which I admit I have little knowledge of how to read them.

I have a lot of symptoms of hypo, but these are also symptoms of anorexia. So this feeds the paranoia.

In closing I will add that I have always been normal weight for my height and age, but gained up to the 154 while on Zoloft. What I'm trying to say is that I have not had hypothyroidism before, and I have never had a problem with weight. So could all these blood changes and my plateau be due to the eating disorder and not hypo? (I know my TSH is a little high right now - could be the eating disorder - but shouldn't my T4 then be higher?)

Pleeeeeeeeeease help me. I have been in tears with frustration since this test.

And I am in treatment for the anorexia, so no worries on that front. I am determined to get through this, but the confusion around these tests is so scary for me.

Thank you for all of your help.

Very Scared.

Last edited by nasmeana524; 04-02-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
    mikeg090
    (male)

mikeg090 HB User

Thank you for the advice midwest, but how much exercise would you suggest I get to get my body functioning normally again? And also, will I gain fat for a period of time once I start eating normally?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mike,

I still think the TSH above 3 warrents further investigation. Puberty may have activated latent Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

As to diet. When my metabolism was blamed I was directed to weight watchers and told to do the cave man diet. What is this? Well my MD was being a smart behind.. basically if you can not pick it from the ground/bush and eat it or hunt it catch it and eat it you do not need it.
    Stick to water, tea, and juice for hydration. Eight 8oz glasses a day.
    No processed foods:cookies, cake, bread, pasta, cereal.. nada
    Stick to a balanced set of 4-5 meals and snacks a day that consist of fruit, vegetables, and meat.

Real simple isn't it. My bane is the Soft Drink! Oh how I love carbonated beverages, diet ones.. Yuck! If it is a diet thing you can eat as much fruit and veggies and pure protien as you want and be fine, you should have minimal fat gain and you metabolism will speed up.. if it can.

As to exercise: Well I am a martial artist, ex-college athelete, and part time soccer coach. I have also work with many personal trainers and picked their brains.

When trying to achieve optimal conditioning you need a balanced weight and cardio regime. You should work out 5 days a week with 2 rest days for muscle repair. Pushing to fast will result in muscle strain or injury. Abs can be worked everyday. You want an alternating weight training routine. For example my personal trainer set up schedule:
    Monday:
    Weight Training: Arms - 2 sets - weight x(five separate machines/free weight exercises), Back - 2 sets - weight - x(3 different routines), Abs- (crunchs, planks, leg lifts).
    Cardio: Before weight training - 1 mile walking, 30 minutes of eliptical glide cross country mode and after weight training 15-20 minutes on stairs or treadmill.
    Tuesday: Weight training: Legs and Abs.. arms rest and back rest.
    Cardio: Before weight training - 1 mile walking, 30 minutes of eliptical glide cross country mode and after weight training 15-20 minutes on stairs or treadmill.
    Wednesday: Just Cardio - Swimming or walking. This is considered a rest day. 30 - 45 minutes.
    Thursday:Same as Monday
    Friday:Same as Tuesday
    Saturday:Same as Monday, but with lighter weights and more reps.
    Sunday: COUCH! Well no gym visit, just rest and family time.

I have had to work up to this. It took a couple of months. You may need something slightly different. Does your school have a coach or personal trainer you can talk too? Maybe a nutritionist? Some do. Or PE teacher had a health and nutritian background. If you ask the counsler i bet you might find someone close that can help you help yourself.

nasmeana524,

I think your need to have antibodies run for Hashimoto's as well. These blood tests are TPOAb and TGAb. The fluxing TSH and low normal FT4 levels are a good indicator. It is tricky to catch early. You may look normal blood work wise.. but you are not normal and far from optimal. You also need your free T3 and free T4 run.

A good logical dieting strategy is Weight Watchers. My friends and family lost on average 20+ pounds on it.. safely. It was a matter of portion control and picking the right foods. Not food deprivation. You can look into it easily and stop in any where and just talk. No pressure but other dieting measures didn't work for me. When my thyroid finally went into its death throws (TSH 2.077) I packed back on 20 of the 40 pound I had lost. VERY depressing. What do i mean about low normal? Optimal for a female of childbearing years is 50-80% in the normal range. If you are trying to concieve, you want to be in the 60-80% of range. Let us see where you are:

T4 - 6.3 (range:4.5-12) Formula: [6.3-4.5]/[12-4.5]*100 = 24 % This test is old school and has an inherent lab error of 20%. Also this test is artificially inflated in value if you are on Birth control pills, certian medications and supplements. Always trust the Free Ts they have a lab error of 2.5-5% and are not subject to what meds you take, your diet, medications or your supplements. Even being old school this is too low and you need supplementation.

T3 uptake: 33 (range 24-39) This just shows you are using T4 to try and make T3 at the appropriate rate. Now whether you are making enough T3 and not RT3 needs one to check the T3/Ft3 levels.

Free Thyroxine Index: 2.1 (1.2-4.9) This is another indirect measure of T4.. just as erronous.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MG, It's fact that severe calorie restriction (SCR) disturbs the thyroid-pituitary-hypothalamic loop.
    It's fact that SCR reduces FT3, and it's fact that low FT3 can can lead to cold intolerance and constipation.
    It's fact that SCR can cause bloating and edema that a naive 17-year old would mistake as "fat".
    This young man is not taking in enough calories for any active, young male. Period.

Mike, you should talk to your doctor or parents about your concerns, not people on a message board. You appear to me - from this great distance between us, which I admit can be deceiving - to be overly concerned with your weight and calorie consumption, and it appears you may be overdoing the exercise routine. It isn't only teen girls who develop eating disorders; guys and people of all other ages get them, too. You need to talk honestly with a medical professional who can help you determine whether you're in the early stages of one.

If I'm wrong about this, I couldn't be happier about being wrong and will gladly eat crow.
    Good luck to you!

Last edited by midwest1; 04-03-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nasmeana,
    I'm happy for you that you're doing well in your treatment for anorexia! Keep up the good work!

Please don't be alarmed by your thyroid results. The differences in your TSH results are minimal and don't mean very much by themselves. They can shift around by that much variance within a 24-hour period. The other tests aren't the best ones you could've had done for thyroid function, but they suggest you are indeed mildly hypo - due to your problem with the anorexia and probably not from any primary cause. This should improve as your body becomes more nourished and healthier. Please, don't panic about your thyroid. There's no reason at this time. It would be a good idea to keep watch on your T4 and T3 as your anorexia improves, because if those levels would happen not to improve and you continue to have thyroid-like symptoms, you should then be tested for thyroid antibodies and find the reason those levels aren't improving.

If you have other questions, please post them to a new thread of your own instead of tacking them onto Mike's thread.
    Best of luck to you!

Last edited by midwest1; 04-03-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Midwest's point is valid and solid. I was not saying she was wrong, but in my opinion for peace of mind I would want a thorough thyroid panel done, especially if thyroid issues run in your family.

My recommendations to see an MD, physical trainer, and nutritionist still hold and I STRESS that you should do this ASAP. Checking with an accredited nutritionist and or MD about dieting and metabolism is a good thing adn can only help you. They can rule out thyroid issues and tell you how to better handle you metabolic needs and physical needs. Overall you can not continue as you are going. My husband needs 2000 calories a day. He is not an active man.. but men naturally need more calories than women.

When I was a college athelete running 10 miles a day, scrimmaging every day, weight lifting 4 days a week.. my caloric intake was impressive. Easily 2000+. You must feed your body as Midwest says or the risks are horrid and dangerous. First try and correct your diet to compensate for your exercise regime, with professional help. If after a 3 month period of time.. which you monitor with your parents and nutritionist/MD.. things are still off. Look back at the thyroid.

It takes time to safely train your body. Physical fitness is a state of being and is far from instantaneous. Good luck. I hope that you get the help that you need and find your answers.

Sincerely,
    MG

Closed Thread