It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What normal TSH and Free T4 levels?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User
    What normal TSH and Free T4 levels?

I had half my thyroid removed in Aug. When I had my labs done my Doctor told me everything was good and did not put me back on meds. It has been five months since my draw, these were the results, TSH-2.63 free T4-1.9 I am still packing on the weight and my hair is as thin as ever. I am wondering what the normals are and do I need to go back in to have new blood work done? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: What normal TSH and Free T4 levels?

What is the lab reference range for free T4? Can't comment without that information.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

That's just it, I don't know. I was hoping someone had some idea about it.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

You can call you MD and request a copy of the lab form. By law they have to release it to you. Also did the diagnose you with Hashimoto's?

In addition to a TSH and FT4 you need to get an FT3 run. I suspent that your T3 is low and T4 is about optimal in range. This would indicate you are a poor converter or that you have adrenal issues. Poor conversion is more common.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Thanks for the help. I was diagnosed years ago with hashimoto's but my tsh levels have always been somewhat normal. I was put on low dose of synthroid for a while but since the levels have been in the "normal" range I was taken off yet again. I am going to make an appointment and go in again and hopefully get the help I need.

Last edited by Ruskingirl; 04-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Here's some basic information for you.

There is no "somewhat normal" for TSH. Even though ranges often extend as high as 6, a value higher than 2 is almost never "normal". Healthy people without thyroid issues have TSH around 1... no higher. That tells me that your 2.63 is not as "normal" as you're being told.

According to most lab ranges, free T4 of 1.9 would be high-normal. (But, there is wide variation in ranges for this test. If your lab has a broad range with a high 'high', it could be at an only average level.) If the FT4 is indeed only mid-range, or even if it is high-normal, your problem may well rest with a low level of free T3, as MG suggests.

I suggest you request a copy of your last labs and share the results and ranges with us, if you care to. We can help you interpret what may be the trouble. If you don't want to do that, please do let us know what the MD says when you see him. If you're having a lot of possible thyroid-related symptoms, it would be insane to rule out thyroid as the cause of them.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Thank you so much Midwest. I am going to call the Dr. tomorrow and request a copy of the old labs and also make an appointment for new testing. I think I should be not having as many symptoms as I am, if everything is normal. I would also think with having half the thryroid removed, I would need to be on meds.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruskingirl View Post
    I had half my thyroid removed in Aug. When I had my labs done my Doctor told me everything was good and did not put me back on meds. It has been five months since my draw, these were the results, TSH-2.63 free T4-1.9 I am still packing on the weight and my hair is as thin as ever. I am wondering what the normals are and do I need to go back in to have new blood work done? Thanks.
    Hi Ruskingirl ~

Think b-a-c-k,,, How long after surgery were those labs drawn? I ask because my first labs were done too soon therefore didn't show true results. (at the time, I didn't know to ASK FOR more bloodwork) When you call the Doctor, ask for another lab slip because you're having plenty of symtoms that point towards Hypo-Thy.

What kind of meds were you on PRE-surgery??

I had one enlarged, non-cancercous Thy-lobe removed 2.5 years ago. My TSH was 1.2 just months before surgery. And have taken 150 mcg's Levoxyl, while I'm currently on 2 grains of Armour. So I'd get more lab work done pronto

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Hey Suey, my labs were about a month or so after the surgery. I was on .50 mg synthroid before then. I can't talk today because of a throat problem so I will call as soon as can talk again. My nodule was 2cm, non cancerous. They removed the left lobe and did a disection of the isthmus. I also had a parathryroid gland removed the same time.

Closed Thread