It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal TSH means no thyroid problem?????? Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
    mindyz
    (female)

mindyz HB User
    Normal TSH means no thyroid problem?????? Please help.

My doctor told me my TSH from November was normal and I dont need anymore blood work done. Does that mean NO thyroid problem? I dont have the numbers in front of me but I will get them.

My sodium level in past has been low....He will not retest me....says I need to see a SHRINK.

I have been feeling awful for some time now and dont know what to do.

Oh labs are here 1.64 TSH was done in January....oh if normal why feeling crappy?

Last edited by mindyz; 04-08-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Normal TSH means no thyroid problem?????? Please help.

"Normal" TSH does NOT necessarily mean no thyroid problem. When Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the cause of the hypothyroidism (as it usually is), TSH can remain normal for years while the thyroid tissue is being destroyed and symptoms rage. It may still be within normal range once the important thyroid hormones have dropped to the bottom of their ranges.

Don't accept that man's word as gospel on this subject. See as many other practitioners as it takes to get a complete thyroid panel... TSH, free T4, free T3, and the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg.

I once read an article written by a medical doctor who understands how often this diagnosis is missed. He said it takes an average of 6 consultations with various MDs before the diagnosis is finally made. I was lucky it took only 3.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
    mindyz
    (female)

mindyz HB User

Midwest was your TSH levels normal at first also? I just dont understand. I have had low sodium...before now its just borderline. I feel crappy. I am seeing a new dr next week. What test should I ask for.

1.64 TSH is this low normal or just normal? Your opinion.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
    Raynie
    (female)

Raynie HB User

I'm new at this, but get an antibodies test for Hashimotos. That's what got me my diagnosis. My TSH was within the outdated lab ranges, but my antibodies were way high. I don't understand why they don't use this as the main test. It seems to be more definite. You either have them, or you don't, right? TSH has all sorts of room for differing opinions between doctors and labs.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
    mindyz
    (female)

mindyz HB User

Thank you. I will ask for the anibody test. Any piece of advice will help me.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
    m. m.
    (female)

m. m. HB User

mindyandy,

The tests you should request are the ones midwest suggested: "a complete thyroid panel... TSH, free T4, free T3, and the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg"

Your TSH does not have to be abnormal to be suffering the consequences of not having enough thryoid hormone. In addition to Hashi's, secondary hypothyroidism is associated with a normal TSH level but low or low normal FT3/FT4 levels.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Mindy...normal TSH does not mean that you do not have thyroid problems...

Please post your results if you can...

Please list your symptoms if you can...

Please keep reading and you may want to consider going to another doctor...

Please let us know what happens

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
    mindyz
    (female)

mindyz HB User

Wow thanks for the replies.
    I have only had a TSH ran for thyroid. My dr told me that its normal and that is all the blood work I need. He says I need a shrink.

Here are my sx. this all started slowly my last trimester of pregnancy....

Extreme cog fog/memory lost
    Fatigue
    Muscle cramps-sometimes
    Hairloss-3months after child birth (this is probably normal)
    Muscle twitches
    My body feels like its 60 and I'm 30.
    Speech problems come and go
    Sometimes I get burning/pins and needles in feet.
    Muscles hurt sometimes.

In November my electro labs were normal except:
    Potassium was 3.4 (just below normal)
    Sodium 136 (borderline low) I have had borderline low sodium before

In January my labs were normal except my (going by memory here) my MVP which was low...I'm guessing from low possible magnesium (which was not on the test). The dr never told me this was low. I had to request my records to see.

From my sx I seem to have low magnesium. I'm seeing new dr next week. I dont know what would cause low magnesium. I am not taking any meds. I am now taking calcium and magnesium supplements. More mag than cal....right?

Please give me some input.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User

mindyandy ~ Get RID of the QUACK !!!

In 26 months time, I've gone to 4 different Doctors about my Thyroid care. Two of whom I WON'T go BACK to - period. The others are my Endo (who ISN'T high on my Doc list because of stuff he did a year ago) and my Osteopathic (PrimeCare Doctor) that I still see today.

know this: Early June 05 my TSH was 1.23. That same month, my endo told me he'd LIKE my slightly enlarged, non-cancercous Thy lobe removed. My TSH was not elevated. (my surgery was Oct 05)

The problem as I see it is this: Our labs may fall within NORMAL ranges, so our Doc says normal - & d-o-n-e! (<~according to the IDIOTS)

OFTEN, they don't *know* what normal is for US. And also while within normal - there is OFTEN room for improvement WITHIN the ranges

educate yourself. I highly reccommend SOLVED: the riddle of ILLNESS How managing your Thyroid - by Stephen Langer, M.D. KNOWLEDGE is POWER

best of everything to you
    Sue

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My TSH never went above 2.077. I have hashimoto's and am 32. My Ft3 and Ft4 levels were rock bottom. You do not need a shrink, you need an MD with a good bedside manner and half a brain so that he could do some thorough investigation. Look to the Armour thyroid physician locator and hunt up a new MD to test out. You may have to go through a few to find the one. In the mean time your OB may be the best bet to get a thorough thyroid panel run and investigation of what is up. My OB was instrumental early in my care and diagnosis.

You are not crazy and normal is often not optimal for you. Now i need to go stomp something. Nothing like and incompetant MD to make my BP rise and my urge to destroy rear its ugly head.

The lab test you need and ranges you are looking for are:
    TSH 3rd gen - Normal range (0.3 - 3.0) - Optimal range - (.89-1.1)
    FT3 (free T3 - direct measurement of active t3 in your system - 2.5-5% STD error) You wnat to be in the 60-80% range if you are premeno and of childbearing age.
    FT4 (free T4 - direct measurement of active t3 in your system - 2.5-5% STD error) You wnat to be in the 60-80% range if you are premeno and of childbearing age.

TPOAb - 90-95% positive identifier of hashimoto's thyroiditis
    TGAb - 75% positive identifier of hashimoto's thyroiditis

If either of these are positive you have Hashimoto's and should be treated accordingly. It makes you high risk in pregnancy and more susceptable to other AIs and addition thyroid complications. Make an MD run your tests so you know what is going on and have peace of mind.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
    mindyz
    (female)

mindyz HB User

Thanks!!!! All this information is very helpful. I think I will make an appointment with my OB. She is usually pretty good. I want to thank all of you for your help and I will post my results when I get this done.

I am pushing and I have been passed around like no tomorrow. I JUST WANT TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
    pinkprincess3
    (female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Mindy...a good thyroid book to read...Could it be my Thyroid by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...another good book Living with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon...you can get both books at your library maybe,your library can get them for you...or at a bookstore...they can get them for you...both have lots of info on getting a diagnosis and treatment...

Please let us know what happens...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

One more good book to help you get a diagnosis ~ Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Dr. Stephen Langer.

Closed Thread