It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feelin good on synthroid-but only for a week and 1/2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
    Lesa45
    (female)

Lesa45 HB User
    Unhappy Feelin good on synthroid-but only for a week and 1/2

Hey everybody, I just started taking 50 mg Synthroid (hypo/hashi). It seemed to make me feel really good (what I remember normal feeling like)for about a week and a half. Now I'm tired again. I have a month before my next labs and I'm feeling very impatient. Has this happened to anybody else? Maybe I will need a bump up in my dosage. Any help is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Feelin good on synthroid-but only for a week and 1/2

There usually isn't a straight path from hypoT to thyroid health, but MDs don't tell us that - mostly because they have no idea about it unless they've personally traveled the path.

Thyroid hormone doesn't work fast. As you progress from your starting dose to your ultimate, optimal one, you will experience exactly what you have so far.... Dose increase; improvement for a short time; regression; bloodwork; dose increase... over again until you reach the dose that raises your free Ts to the upper parts of their ranges. Then it will take another few weeks to months for all the symptoms to resolve.

Very, very few people start treatment and make steady, fast progress to feeling normal.

It took me one full year from onset of treatment until I felt my old self. Don't expect to be back to normal before 6 months elapse. I don't tell you that to discourage you on purpose. I hope you would rather know the truth than to think it's going to be a piece of cake.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
    Liz1900
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi,

Just read your response to the post and I guess I will certainly have to learn patience as never before. I was on Armour for 40 years and I don't remember much back that far - but I don't think it was a long adjustment period. I was young then though and perhaps that helped. After 40 successful years on Armour - and after all I read - I consider myself blessed to have had that, in Dec 2007 I started with heart palpitations and after 4 decreases to my Armour - the doctor switched me to Synthroid .50 mcg. and that began an even worse downward spiral toward feeling bad and worse. I was going to my MD and now to an endo beginning April 8th. Went from .50 mcg., increased to .75 for a few weeks and I got the endo to increase me to .88 mcg on Apr 15th. I am very little better - that means I don't lie on the couch all day - just most of it - that is after I get out of bed. I have had so many side effects which I never know if it is from the medication or the condition. These include muscle burning in my abdomen and stomach, flu-like feeling all the time, sleep problems, now lightheadedness, headache, itching, rash, etc. - you have the idea. Oh, yes and depression and all that goes with that. I have lab work tomorrow and doctor's appointment May 21st. The lady I talk to at the doctor's office said they have to see the labs and then I probably need an increase,but it has to be slow. I figure if they increase it - I will have to go through more symptoms - I don't know. I would like at this point to just be able to function and go out of the house once in a while. I have a couple of times, even though I don't feel good at all, but didn't enjoy it much. I know I need to find things to work on at home, but usually don't feel good enough to even do that.

Just wanted to vent - I guess that is what I call it....thanks for listening.

Liz

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Lesarosi,

You are coming down off the initial hormone high as your blood levels reach equilibrium and your body is realizing that it is not enough to meet your needs. You can get your blood work checked in 4-6 weeks and your level boosted by 25 mcgs then. Do not wait any longer than that if you still feel hypoT.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 05-14-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
    Liz1900
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    You are coming down off the initial hormone high as your blood levels reach equilibrium and your body is realizing that it is not enough to meet your needs. You can get your blood work checked in 4-6 weeks and your level boosted by 25 mcgs then. Do not wait any longer than that if you still feel hypoT.

MG

MG,

What do you mean by the initial hormone high? I was on Armour up until the change on March 19th - that was with my regular MD - so I have been on meds for 40 years. Of course, I know thyroid is a different type of med with T3 and T4. I am now with an endo since April 8th. I have blood work tomorrow and doctor's appointment next Wednesday, May 21st. Last labs were April 8th. Do you think he will increase about 25 mcg? When there is an increase, how long would it be until I could feel if it is starting to make me feel better? Also, when I have symptoms, I wasn't sure if they were from the hypo or from the meds or both? From the hypo probably. I have had so many different symptoms, I could hardly believe it. Some have gone away and new ones seem to take their place - now the last few days it is slight lightheadedness which makes it hard to feel like moving around at all. Do you think I would have other side effects when the dose is possibly increased?

I had no idea this could be like this after 40 years on Armour with not one problem....wow!!!!!!! If it weren't for the heart palpitations I would still be on it.

Thanks,
    Liz

Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Sorry Liz.. I was replying to Lesarosi. At a week and a half starting meds you get an initial thyroid hormone rush that makes your system feel artificially well.. then as the system begins to slow down and realize it still needs more meds.. you feel like crud again and soon know you need a level adjustment.

As to how can your issue change so suddenly.. what are your current Ft levels on the synthroid and what were your last levels on the Armour.

When did you go through menopause or have you? Estrogen levels effect TBG (thyroid binding globulin efficiency) Low estrogen.. weaker TBG effect and more T4 and t3 left to float about and muck with things. This is one of the main reasons optimal levels drop for women post menopause.

I would need more information to comment on your case. Sorry I wasn't trying to confuse you.. I was posting a response to the original thread.. i will edit my other post.
    MG

Last edited by mkgb; 05-14-2008 at 10:01 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
    Liz1900
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Sorry Liz.. I was replying to Lesarosi. At a week and a half starting meds you get an initial thyroid hormone rush that makes your system feel artificially well.. then as the system begins to slow down and realize it still needs more meds.. you feel like crud again and soon know you need a level adjustment.

As to how can your issue change so suddenly.. what are your current Ft levels on the synthroid and what were your last levels on the Armour.

When did you go through menopause or have you? Estrogen levels effect TBG (thyroid binding globulin efficiency) Low estrogen.. weaker TBG effect and more T4 and t3 left to float about and muck with things. This is one of the main reasons optimal levels drop for women post menopause.

I would need more information to comment on your case. Sorry I wasn't trying to confuse you.. I was posting a response to the original thread.. i will edit my other post.
    MG
    Hi MG,

Sorry, didn't realize that. I guess your answer to the other post rather fit my question too. Anyway, I am having new labs tomorrow after being on Synthroid .88 for 30 days. The last results from Armour at between 75-90 mg was .014. My first results on Synthroid were only taking it from March 18th - April 8th when I went to the endo for the first tme and my TSH was 1.65. I guess tomorrow's labs will tell a better story with a consistent dose for 30 days. I will never know what caused the problem with Armour as I felt so well for 40 years. It was the heart palpitations that caused him to change my meds.

I had a hysterectomy at 39, so I had no menopause symptoms - I have one ovary - but don't know when I actually went through it. Anyway, I will send an update when I see what happens.

I had no idea that thyroid could cause you to feel so badly. My question too is if the doctor increases my dosage, I guess it takes a while to feel different or better, I would hope - weeks to a month? again......more side effects????

Thanks,
    Liz

Last edited by Liz1900; 05-14-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: WANT TO RETITLE POST

Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz,

Why aren't they testing your FTs? Humm? How can you know where you are on Armour especially if they are not looking at your FT3 and Ft4 as well as the TSH. The TSH on Armour is surpressed and thus worth about as much as cow flop!

Your TSH on Synthroid is more telling, but if you are unbalanced in your FT4 and FT3 levels you will have to address that as well.

Make sure they look at your FTs as well as your TSH.. there may be additional fators giving you issues.

MG

Closed Thread