It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Adding L-carnitine is it ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
    Adding L-carnitine is it ok?

Hi everyone! Went to a herbalist shop and told the man my situation: hypo/hyper Hashi's thyroid, horrid belly swelling and weight gain. Was thinking metabalism support , water retention due to the iodine in meds,etc. He suggested the carnitine. Reading up on it see its ok for "hyper" people, but what about us Hashi's? I don't want to mess my levels but reading it helps in the weight issues? I also got some potassium and taking small amount of that along with the carnitine, low dose 250. Already today I've done more #2's than ever!!! so maybe it does help rid stuff??? Anyone tried it with any luck?
    Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Adding L-carnitine is it ok?

My AUnt B1 has Graves and swears by L-Carnitine. Humm.. I have never though of it for me. Maybe I should give it a go. I have a search loop going on its effect on thyroid function and mechanisms... we will see if I get a few valid reference hits.

MG

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Well it took a while but I got some hits.

L-Carnitine is being studied and looking favorably as a neurotoxicity treatment.

I am fairly certian this is a safe site for posting. It has no advertisements or chat groups and it is an organization. I am not trying to offend just share a reference that has a lot of information on L-carnitine and its main uses with regards to kidney function.

[url]http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/nut_appx10a.html[/url]

Overall I am finding nothing to say that using Carnitine will hurt you. The more MD supported and researched references recommend that you check your nutritional levels first and rule out anemias before starting a Carnitine regime. The main Anemias then requestio you look at are B12 and vit D. If your vit D and B12 levels are good. I say go for it.. just make sure the supplement you take is made in the USA and that you do not exceed FDA dosages. Humm.. I only take 15 pills a day right now.. what is another. Maybe I should try it.

MG

Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Mg for the research!!!! I took one yesterday and now again today, 250mg. I've read some take as much as 1000 a couple times a day, I think that is a bit too much. I'm giving it a wk or so and see?? I've really been counting calories lately and watching the carbs, I'm down a couple lbs in a few days, also went poo more yesterday will see what happens today? Also added potassium will see if more bloating goes away? I'll let you know!! It does sound pretty safe and seems it helps muscle and fatigue? maybe even mood!!! anyway can't hurt? I think reducing from 75/50 to just 50 for several days is starting to help the anxiety, hyper crapola, if hypo doesn't start I'm sticking to 50. Be interesting what my next levels will be? Boy are we all science projects or what?
    Hysterectomy

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeap! i am a living, walking, talking thyroid experiment. My MDs love or hate me as a result. At least i can learn from myself.. All I have to do is pay attention to my body language. Pity MDs aren't better at reading it.

I think I may join you on the L-Carnitine joy ride.. just need to nip by the store.. i have to remember butter. Where is that grocery list..

MG

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
    kindspirit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope it helps you Mg!! Nothing different today, but appetitie seems to be less? I saw you mentioned "IV's" in another post, I'm going thru hell with a bad iv nurse! I had the colonoscopy on the 6th, my vein still has bumps and sore PAIN, all the way down into my wrist! I'm trying to hold off going to the doctor as not sure what they could do? don't think its infected, maybe bruised the insides? but it will be 2 wks next Tues! that nurse was the nurse from hell! Our poor bodies, with all these testings and pokes and prods they still try to keep on fighting! So anything "herbal" for me is my defense, hoping carnitine helps some? Knowledge is power!!!!! (hope you got the butter and found your list!!!
    Hysterectomy

Closed Thread