It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #31
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Re: Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split - Mg Or Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauz View Post
Dhea was a blood test. I don't know what she is going to give me for the adrenals yet.
You were taking 20.25 mcg of T3 with your Armour so yes I would try more of the Cytomel.

take care
Pia
Pia,

Keep me posted on your tests and results. I am going to try the half pill tomorrow maybe with just a little food - 12.5 mg all at once instead of split and see if my heart races - if not I will go from there. I don't feel at all better. I have lots of burning in my stomach area, waist, sides, abdomen, etc. I can't believe this isn't from the Synthroid or something - lack of T3 or whatever - I never had anything like this before Synthroid.

This is the pits - I absolutely hardly know what to do. I may call the lady that called me about the other hormone doctor and get more information from her - just to have it. Also will try this for a few days - probably into next week and then check with the endo about the adrenals. Have to have some kind of plan. I wonder what causes all the burning? Drives me nuts.
You had that didn't you? Did you have it only in the stomach? It is like burning and aching muscles which I think I have heard people complain about. Did you?

Talk soon,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #32
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

Yes I also still have the burning stomach and also my bladder and lots of aching muscles,
my legs and calfs are bothering me too. When you eat something does the burning stop ?
Liz give it some time you only took the Cytomel a few days too early to tell.
I know it is a missery living like this but again give it at least 2 weeks.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #33
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Yes I also still have the burning stomach and also my bladder and lots of aching muscles,
my legs and calfs are bothering me too. When you eat something does the burning stop ?
Hi Pia,

You are probably right - I did take the Cytomel half and half and with food - today I am going to try the half pill with food instead of cutting that in half. Worse thing is my heart will race - so what else is new? I don't have any problem eating - the burning is the abdomen and of course when you are sitting down it goes up into all the stomach muscles. My legs and such don't ache but if I run my thighs they feel a bit sore. Also, not just my stomach but all around the waist and back - I have no idea - it has to be related to all of this because I never had this before.....you are right - this is pure misery and I am so sick of doing nothing and missing everything I get invited to. I know you understand more than anyone. Feel like you have something else - but what?

Thanks - and I will keep trying.

Talk later,
Liz

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #34
utmbotr
(female)

utmbotr HB User

hi all......this is an update from last months cytomel and vitamin discussion.

I added 25mg sublinguil B12 and 2000 U Vit. D daily. I take it about 30 minutes after my synthroid. Endo cut synthroid from 100mcg to 75mcg and added 10mg Cytomel at my request. He said he didn't agree with my treatment plan (Cytomel) but was willing to let me try for one month. The month will be up in two days. I called endo this morning and said I agree the Cytomel did nothing for me.......I may even be more tired and weighty. The vitamins were making a difference. I started them 2weeks before the Cytomel and was really beginning to feel a little better. I am going back to 100 mcg of Synthroid and will continue taking the supplements about 30min later. I actually gained about 2 pounds this month......I do think it's a combo of being a little more tired and a little busier with family stuff. I am hopeful that the B12 and vitamin D were the missing components as I truly was beginning to feel better just before starting the Cytomel. Of the 14yrs dealing with hypoT this has been a really rough year...i've had some bad ones in the past....but WHEW! this one is lingering for what seems a lifetime! I'll give you an update. BTW - I eliminated broccoli (except for an occaisional cheat) the same time I started the supplements. I like broc and used to eat a lot of it. Thanks for that heads up!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #35
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmbotr View Post
hi all......this is an update from last months cytomel and vitamin discussion.

I added 25mg sublinguil B12 and 2000 U Vit. D daily. I take it about 30 minutes after my synthroid. Endo cut synthroid from 100mcg to 75mcg and added 10mg Cytomel at my request. He said he didn't agree with my treatment plan (Cytomel) but was willing to let me try for one month. The month will be up in two days. I called endo this morning and said I agree the Cytomel did nothing for me.......I may even be more tired and weighty. The vitamins were making a difference. I started them 2weeks before the Cytomel and was really beginning to feel a little better. I am going back to 100 mcg of Synthroid and will continue taking the supplements about 30min later. I actually gained about 2 pounds this month......I do think it's a combo of being a little more tired and a little busier with family stuff. I am hopeful that the B12 and vitamin D were the missing components as I truly was beginning to feel better just before starting the Cytomel. Of the 14yrs dealing with hypoT this has been a really rough year...i've had some bad ones in the past....but WHEW! this one is lingering for what seems a lifetime! I'll give you an update. BTW - I eliminated broccoli (except for an occaisional cheat) the same time I started the supplements. I like broc and used to eat a lot of it. Thanks for that heads up!
Hi,

Interesting post. I was on .88 mcg of Synthroid and even though labs were in "normal" range - I still was barely functional - and I am not kidding - going nowhere and feeling really bad. My endo prescribed Cytomel a week ago at 1/2 of a 25 mcg tab a day to start. I was afraid of Heart palpitations, so I have been splitting that taking half morning and half in the afternoon. I noticed nothing, so this morning I took the 12.5. I felt a little racy in the heart a few hours later - but it is getting OK now. I am not sure if this will help - some people it does and some, like you, it doesn't. What were your symptoms when you asked the doctor for Cytomel? I am desperate - as I told him I couldn't go on like that as I couldn't do anything and was I going to live the rest of my life like that. So, I am praying it will work.

I also bought some B12 sublingual tabs. Do you think they would perk me up too? Perhaps I could try that in the afternoon? How fast does it work - the B12? I have taken them - but never on a regular basis. I had my Vit D tested and it was OK. Does that give you energy too? My sublingual T12's are 1,000, I believe. Hope you feel better - I am praying as this is more than delilitating and depressing.

Thanks,
Liz

Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #36
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Pia,

I think I feel a little better taking the 12,5 tablet, but I do feel a bit spun up and I think my heart is a bit racy. At least with Cytomel it doesn't stay in your system long and since this is the first time I took it like this, perhaps I will get used to it. I didn't have much of that with splitting it, but also didn't feel and different. It will be a week tomorrow since I started on this. I don't feel so tired and ready to drop over - but now feel a bit hyper. Anyway, it was mentioned by you and also MG that perhaps he should have dropped my Synthroid lower than .75 mcg. So the labs will answer that. I would like to be able to tell him it helps, but perhaps he could order me a time-released version of some dosage. There is a compounding pharamcy 5 minutes from my house, I found out - checked on the internet. So there are options. We will see what happens tomorrow. I only had a few bites of cereal with it AT 9:15 - perhaps a little more food might slow it down but not make heart racy. At this point even heart racy isn't as bad as how bad I have been feeling. Never thought I would say that. We will try different things in the next days - nothing else to do but sit and be miserable - right?

I left a call for the lady told you about from the pain clinic about the hormone doctor - I wanted more info. She called me back and explained to me that this woman wouldn't necessary want to change my thyroid meds - but would test all the other issues -adrenals, estrogen, etc.....probably like where you are going. Right now changing back to Armour or something like that is frightening - although I am not sure I could be a lot worse really - except the heart racing. The lady I talked to said she prescribes some hormone creams that you just rub on your arm. Interesting. But she does check out all the thyroid stuff too. Sounds like an opinion from her on the rest of my body's hormones wouldn't hurt. I will go to my regular gyn on June 9th and try to get that taken care of and tell her about my ordeal and the burning, etc..... and if all is OK there - I think burning is from what else is going on - not something new - then I will go from there.

That's my new plan. You have labs tomorrow?

Liz

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #37
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Liz,
Glad you are feeling better.
I would wait and see how you are going to feel with the Cytomel.
Do you have to pay for the hormone doctor ?
I think I would keep working with the endo he was pretty open and gave you Cytome.
Yes I have labs tomorrow and I can't wait to go on Monday.

take cae
Pia

Old 05-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #38
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Hi Liz,
Glad you are feeling better.
I would wait and see how you are going to feel with the Cytomel.
Do you have to pay for the hormone doctor ?
I think I would keep working with the endo he was pretty open and gave you Cytome.
Yes I have labs tomorrow and I can't wait to go on Monday.

take cae
Pia
Pia,

Yes, I don't plan to do anything right now - just wanted to get some information. I have that appointment with my gyn on 9 June. I am going to keep on with the Cytomel. Today I took the 1/2 pill as I told you and I did feel my heart rate increase - or at least I felt kinda hyper for a while. But it subsided after a while - maybe I will get used to it. But it seemed that weird "off" feeling in my body went away when I took the 12.5. So, I have to see what tomorrow brings. Also when I took the 1/2 xanax and slept until 8:00 instead of 6:00 - I felt more rested - even though tired. Like I said will see what tomorrow brings.

I don't know about having to pay the doctor - I would call the office for information before I ever did anything - see if they take my insurances.

I don't plan on calling or anything until I see how I feel the next week or so. I don't have blood work until mid-June which isn't really that long - three more weeks. With the Cytomel helps - and makes me feel racy - perhaps I have too much T4 - who knows? or I would ask him to prescribe the time released stuff and see how that works. So, we will see tomorrow - will let you know.

Later,
Liz

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Liz,

How are you ?
Boy I had a bussy day, one of my dogs had to hae his teeth cleaned and I just picked him up I hate bringing my babys to the vet.
I also went to get my labs done.
I am exhausted time to watch some TV.

take care

Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #40
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Hi Liz,

How are you ?
Boy I had a bussy day, one of my dogs had to hae his teeth cleaned and I just picked him up I hate bringing my babys to the vet.
I also went to get my labs done.
I am exhausted time to watch some TV.

take care
Hi,

I am OK - took the Synthroid this morning, then the Cytomel with a little food. Makes me kinda hyper - I think my heart beats faster - but I don't feel like I am going to fall over. I MADE myself go to the post office and a couple other places...felt weird - but went anyway. Rest of the day OK - get rather a tired feeling in the afternoon and especially before dinner -blood sugar also I think the Cytomel wears off some. I never did understand how that works and how long it actually is in your system - tried to ask and was told and still don't understand if it builds up of just tapers off and you come back down. Anyway, trying different things.

I know - I always hated to take the dogs to the vets - they did too and I was so stressed out and so were they. I hated dropping them off for teeth cleaning and was always so happy to have them home.

Glad you will see the doctor on Monday - what do you think she might do? How do you really feel now?

Liz

Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #41
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Like you I get more tired in the afternoon and yes it feels like low blood sugar but I eat lots of small meals.
I don't know what she is going to do can't wait for monday.

take care
Pia

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #42
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Like you I get more tired in the afternoon and yes it feels like low blood sugar but I eat lots of small meals.
I don't know what she is going to do can't wait for monday.

take care
Pia
Yes, I have always said I probably have lot blood sugar way before this thyroid mess. Like I get to feeling really tired, but don't feel hungry and then realize I haven't eaten for quite a while. After I eat, then I don't feel that way any more. Even throughout this thyroid thing - always felt better after dinner - remember?

Waiting to see how I feel tomorrow and decide if I can go out somewhere. My group is doing a play at 10:30 and I am striving to go.....keep your fingers crossed.....

Talk tomorrow,
Liz

Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #43
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz,
How are you ? I had computer problems all day long we just fixed our network,
I am exhausted.
I got a call from the doctor my FT4 is too high my FT3 is great so I have to stop taking the meds until I see her on Monday, I think that is why I have the burning in the stomach.
I think she will make a mix with less T4 and keep my T3 the same.
Can't wait to Monday another long weekend.

take care
Pia

Last edited by mauz; 05-30-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #44
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Liz,
I am exhausted.
I got a call from the doctor my FT4 is too high my FT3 is great so I have to stop taking the meds until I see her on Monday, I think that is why I have the burning in the stomach.

take care
Pia
Hi,

It is frustrating to have computer problems - whether it is needed for work or just to have it working for pleasure. That is interesting about your labs - at least they contact you and give you guidance. I wonder if the FT4 too high causes the burning - if the FT3 is good. Interesting. My burning isn't as bad in some ways - but feels like my muscles are sore around my waist down into my upper abdomen - not the same burning all the time. Can't figure that out - but maybe adding the T3 Cytomel is helping part of it and the muscle thing is from either the meds or hypo - who knows. I have that appointment with the gyn on June 9th and see what she says since I already had a muscular-skeletal problem I have been taking the hormone cream for for years - but perhaps now since things are "off" - it is acting up. I will see.

The Cytomel seems to help quite a bit the last day or so - it does make me hyper and I am taking it with food to try to cut down on that - but it doesn't last all day and night. Maybe I will get used to it or that is the way it is - I don't like it but it is better than feeling dead for sure. I can always try for the time released if I would have to increase or anything and can't stand it. Kinda like drinking a couple of heavy caffeine drinks Oh, well - I did go out to my drama group's play today and saw a lot of my friends. I just cried when I saw them - I was so emotional after months of being in the house. I think I could cry if someone tapped me on the shoulder at most any minute any time of day.

Question about Cytomel - I know you told me about half-life and I asked the boards - but not sure I still understand. What I guess I really want to know is does it build up - I know if it is 12 mcg, then in so many hours - how many????? it is then down to 6 and so forth. But if you take another 12 within so many hours is it cumulative? I feel like an idiot - but I guess what I mean is - is the effect of it evened out after a while???? I think that is what I mean - do you know?

That's about it - talk tomorrow,
Liz

Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #45
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Liz,
I am exhausted.

take care
Pia
Pia,

This is my second reply post to yours - just wanted to say that I really like the idea of how your doctor works - seems they will get it just right soon and they tell you to stop taking - I like that - they are responsive. Monday you will find out more. Ask about the burning.....

Talk soon,
Liz

Closed Thread