It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split

Hi,

Today I saw my endo. My lab work showed what he referred to as "normal" results - although, my Free T3 is in the low part of the normal zone. I still have terrible symptoms which I explained to him and he was willing to prescribe Cytomel along with lowering my Synthroid from .88 mcg to .75 mcg (my T4 is in the upper range so he doesn't want me to get too much). He told me to cut a 25 mcg tablet in half and take 1/2 a day which would be 12.5 mcg.

I need some advice - I have read that it is better to split your dose of Cytomel due to the fast acting nature of it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to get hyper or have heart racing by taking the whole 12.5 mcg at once. I didn't see any directions on the bottle either on whether I have to take it on an empty stomach or can take it with or near a meal. I read somewhere that taking it with food in your stomach would make it act more like the time-released version which I forgot to ask the endo about.

I definitely plan on splitting it for my first day - but wanted to get any insight into this plan on when it would be best to take the second half?

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split - Mg Or Anyone

Taking it on an empty stomach will improve its absorption and how much is absorbed.

Most take in the morning with their synthroid and later in the afternoon, an hour or to after lunch. I am not sure backing your T4 back to 75 will be enough given the 12.5 jump. I would have thought dropping it back to 50 mcgs would have been the better move. Keep an eye out for hyperT symptoms.

MG

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

MG,

Thanks for the input - he said we would just have to try things to see how I feel. So, I guess I will have to do that right now. I have labs in 4 weeks. At least he was willing to do something since my labs seemed "normal" - and thanks to you I called the Free T3 to his attention - remembering you compared the Total T3 at something like 69% and the Free T3 at 14.7% or something like that. I didn't quote that - but did call to his attention that I was at the very low end of that range. Anyway, I guess compared to some endos or MD's at least he is willing to work with my symptoms. He kinda looked at me like - "all your labs and other tests look really good" - what are your symptoms - and I had a whole list typed up in addition to saying that I "had no life" - and was this the way I would feel for my whole life? - I don't think so!!! Then he prescribed the Cytomel.

I am just not wanting to get heart palpitations - and that is why I asked about taking it with food or something....I guess another experiment.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help - I was so stressed by my appointment today - my pulse was 98......

Liz

Last edited by moderator2; 05-22-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

Hi Liz,

I guess we have to use a new thread our old one was getting to long.
Lets just use this one.
I hope you are doing better by adding the cytomel

Pia

Last edited by mauz; 05-21-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi Pia,

Yes, I saw that note from the moderator - and had hoped you would pop on this one or start a new one I would notice. I told you that yesterday my pulse was 98 at the doctor's office and I don't think I have calmed down totally - it is not nearly that high, but around 80 - but that was before I took anything different - so I have to try to calm down.

I took your advice and this morning took 1/2 of the 12.5 (half of .25 mcg) - I took my Synthroid at 6:00 A. M. and then went back to sleep - and I actually did take the 1/2 of 1/2 tab on empty stomach and ate about an hour later. That was at 8:15 and I don't notice anything yet - but I don't think I would this early. I may not feel quite as lightheaded when I was making the beds, etc. - but could be my imagination. I don't care - I was reading some things about Cytomel and people try different things - take it half and half and someone on one board mentioned taking it with food and even though not absorbed as quickly it would act like the time-released version - instead of getting a quick rush. I need to experiment - that is the only way. Also I guess I still have the .88 mcg of Synthroid in my system and will for a while as it is slow - so don't know how that would effect me?

You didn't tell me how you were doing on your new adjusted dosage - exactly what are you taking? I don't remember. It will take me a while to calm down from anticipation of that doctor's visit and just now pray and hope I will feel better.

You see the doctor on Monday? Are you still having burning? I was day before yesterday - don't know about yesterday - was so flipped out. Is it your stomach that burns?

Later,
Liz

Last edited by moderator2; 05-22-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
sue1234
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Liz--I'm very interested in how your addition of cytomel works out. I'm at the point where I feel worse if I up my dose of Synthroid 100 mcg., so waiting to see if I can add in cytomel to see if it takes care of my remaining symptoms. What dosage of daily cytomel are you to take?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
Liz--I'm very interested in how your addition of cytomel works out. I'm at the point where I feel worse if I up my dose of Synthroid 100 mcg., so waiting to see if I can add in cytomel to see if it takes care of my remaining symptoms. What dosage of daily cytomel are you to take?

Hi Sue,

I will let you know. I think my endo was very reluctant to do much with my labs being in "normal" range - although I mentioned that my Free T3 was very much at the low end of the range. Anyway, I have felt terrible and I mean bad and going and doing basically nothing. He lowered my Synthroid from .88 mcg to .75 mcg because he didn't want the addition of the Cytomel to push me into hyper. It is an experiment at this point on dosages.

I prescribed 1/2 of a 25 mcg. tablet per day. Labs in 4 weeks. I understand it doesn't take long for Cytomel to kick in - and that is a good thing because the waiting is horrible.

The reason for my post was to find out other's experience in how to take it - split, etc.....I don't want to get heart palpitations as I have had when on Armour.

What are your symptoms?

Liz

What are your

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will see the doctor Monday June 2nd.
I am a little more awake today and I have to go to get my hair done.
I still have that burning who knows what this is.
Let me know how the Cytomel is working out.

take care
Pia

Last edited by moderator2; 05-22-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Pia,

Ok-that's fine - we just have to keep track so the thread doesn't go on too long. I know last time you suggested we start a new one - that's fine with me. Glad you are feeling a bit better and going to get your hair done - that is a good sign.

I don't feel as lightheaded - but still weird - but only took the meds today. I think I am still stressed from all that build up to the doctor's appointment, as I said, because my heartbeat feels faster, but I have only taken that pill in half and mostly with food. I think it is my nerves because I want to be well so badly. I think the T3 comes into your system and goes out - so it doesn't build up - or does it? Also still have to get the higher dose of .88 mcg Synthroid out of my system and I think that takes a bit longer - right? Will see how each day goes - the doctor said about a week?
You said a few days - either doesn't seem long after waiting months on end.

Take care and enjoy getting your hair done,
Liz

Last edited by moderator2; 05-22-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz,
The T3 has a half life of 10 hour which means half of it will be gone by then.
Synthroid I think has a half life of 2 weeks so it will take a little longer.
My hair appointment went fine just got home now I have to walk my dogs but I do feel tired.

take care

Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauz View Post
Liz,
The T3 has a half life of 10 hour which means half of it will be gone by then.
Synthroid I think has a half life of 2 weeks so it will take a little longer.
My hair appointment went fine just got home now I have to walk my dogs but I do feel tired.

take care
Pia,

Feels good to get out and get your hair done - doesn't it? I know even when I didn't feel great - it was good. You must be feeling a bit better - I hope? Even being a bit tired isn't as bad as a lot of things we have felt. I think a lot of the stress is winding down with me now that I finally had the doctors appointment. Now I just have to hope I feel better each day.
I will pray tonight for both of us.

Later,
Liz

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Liz,

How are you doing this morning ? I hope you feel a little better today.
I still have that burning in my stomach hopefully it will go away soon.

Pia

Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
Hi Liz,

How are you doing this morning ? I hope you feel a little better today.
I still have that burning in my stomach hopefully it will go away soon.

Pia
Pia,

I had a hard time getting up this morning - just didn't want to. Anyway, felt kinda racy in the heart upon waking - but I still don't think it is from the Cytomel as I had it when I went to the doctor's office before taking anything. It could be a little, but still think it might be my nerves. Don't know. I took the 1/2 or the 1/2 this morning on an empty stomach - but just took the other half after lunch to see if it is better - just in case. I still feel "off" and weird, but hoping that changes. A friend of mine called around 10:00 and she knew I have been having all these problems and wanted to know if I could go to lunch. I had to talk myself into it - but made myself go and I enjoyed it - although my heart felt kinda racy - sitting down I didn't feel too bad - walking I feel kinda weak - but perhaps that is from not enough T3 - who knows. The burning in my abdomen and the UTI feeling aren't as bad the last day and a half - don't know why. My stomach muscles still feel weird and around my belly button - don't know if that is coming from the abdomen or what. Wonder if it was the filler in the .88 mcg? Won't know - I guess - but I am watching symptoms. I need to get to the gyne and have her check that all out. Maybe she can give me some insight. My friend thinks I may also be suffering from depression - and that is very likely with the symptoms that are similar for both thyroid and depression . from what I read - they go hand in hand.

You still have the burning? My stomach isn't turning - but something there feels strange.

Later,
Liz

Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
mauz
Senior Veteran
(female)

the burning comes and goes always feels a little better when I eat something, weired.
What do you mean by your stomach is turning ? My entire body feels strange ! LOL
I have to go for more labs next Thursday and I will see her on Monday June 2nd.
Have a good night and I talk to you tomorrow

Pia

Old 05-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
the burning comes and goes always feels a little better when I eat something, weired.
What do you mean by your stomach is turning ? My entire body feels strange ! LOL
I have to go for more labs next Thursday and I will see her on Monday June 2nd.
Have a good night and I talk to you tomorrow

Pia
Hi,
I meant my stomach burns or feels like it is. I know what you mean about strange. I feel like my heart is racy - but not sure if it was just that way and I can't calm down between anticipating the doctor's appointment and now wondering about if the Cytomel will work. I know the Cytomel can do that as it is powerful. I am trying to split it and take with food so that even if it takes longer - it will work and not make my heart race - another challenge. If it bothers me too much - one thing MG said is that he probably should have dropped the Synthroid to 50 mcg not 75 mcg - but I couldn't tell him that I heard that on the internet. Also Dr. Lupo said he adds 5 mcg twice a day to start which would make it 10. I have 12.5 and I split it so I am taking a little over 6 mcg twice a day - that is close. But he drops the synthroid by 40%. So we will see. Perhaps taking it with food will keep it to a minimum of bothering me.

Did you take Cytomel - I can't remember? Also, it this doesn't work I am going to ask him for one of the slow release T3 from a compounding pharmacy similar to what you are having. So, I am developing some plans just in case. But I hope it makes me feel better without all that.

Ok - talk tomorrow.

Liz

Closed Thread