It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Could Someone Please Share Info About Adrenal Fatigue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
    Liz1900
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz1900 HB User
    Could Someone Please Share Info About Adrenal Fatigue

Hi,

Recently my endo told me that my labs are in "normal" range and because I still feel terrible, exhausted, fatigued, and just plain miserable and unable to do much at all, he prescribed some Cytomel. This has been about 5 days ago and although I have been splitting the dose and taking it two times a day (he didn't say to do that - but I read about it) - and was afraid of heart palpitations - I do not feel any better yet.

That said, I have been reading in some books on thyroid and also I know I have seen some things on the message boards about adrenal problems. I wanted to know some of any of your experiences with this problem. I have some of the symptoms that I have read might be involved in this, but no idea if I have this problem.

Could someone share their experiences and tell me what tests there would be for this, treatments????? I don't know what to do next if the Cytomel doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User
    Re: Could Someone Please Share Info About Adrenal Fatigue

Has your doctor tested for adrenal deficiancy? You could order an at home hormone saliva test. They are expensive but are the most accurate.

hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue are commonly coexistant.

I'm experiencing this same problem right now. (See my last post)

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
    Liz1900
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Liz1900 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TV in RV View Post
    Has your doctor tested for adrenal deficiancy? You could order an at home hormone saliva test. They are expensive but are the most accurate.

hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue are commonly coexistant.

I'm experiencing this same problem right now. (See my last post)
    Hi,

I read your post and a lot of your symptoms sound like mine - not all but the fatigue, exhaustion and not feeling well at all are definitely there. I am hypothyroid and was on Armour for 40 years with not one problem. I think I outlined this in my post. I felt bad with heart palpitations from Dec 2007-Mar 2008 from the Armour - don't know - they said it could be too much T3 in there for my heart as I am older now. Anyway, mid-March I went on Synthroid and have basically been minimally functional. No, I haven't talked to my endo about that yet - he added Cytomel last Thursday just to see if it helped. My numbers are within normal range - although Free T3 is on the low side of the range scale. I just feel bad all the time and don't want to do anything much at all. Another thing is I almost always feel a little better in the evenings after dinner and I read that is a sign of Adrenal issues.

I am going to have to ask him about this if the Cytomel doesn't help soon - he said I should know within a week and that is Thursday - and nothing yet.

Are you going to ask for this test?

Liz

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Yeah, I am going to ask for the saliva test because everything that I read says that the blood and urine tests can be obcsured. Both of these test an accumulation of your levels throughout the day but it can be inaccurate because if you are subclinical adrenal fatigue then your adrenal hormones can go up and down within an hours time. The act stimulation test usually only shows results if you have complete adrenal failure.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

The blood cortisol can be iffy, but anything less than 12 should be investigated with a saliva rhythm test. Now I am a chemist and fellow thyroid-adrenal dysfunctional sufferer.. not an MD. So this is just my take on the tests and opinion on getting a thorough picture of the issue.

The adrenal function tet that will not lie is your ACTH. This is another 8 am blood serum test that tells you whether or not your pituitary gland is functioning properly. If your Cortisol is low or low normal and your ACTH is low.. your adrenals may be fine.. but your pituitary is for all purposes dead in its ability to ask for more cortisol or aldosterone (both are IMPORTANT).. This is secondary adrenal insufficiency...

Now if the ACTH is high.. screaming and wanting more.. but your cortisol and/or aldosterone are LOW to low normal.. then you are looking at failure of the adrenal glands.. primary adrenal insufficiency aka Addison's.

Now the reverse is true.. If your ACTH is high and cortisol is high.. secondary hyperadrenalism.

If the ACTH is LOW and cortisol/aldosterone is High.. primary hyperadrenalism and this is normally due to a adrenal hormone producing tumor or antibody (AI) attack on the adrenal glands.

Other important adrenal function tests are DHEA, pregesterone (sp), aldosterone, your sex hormone (testosterone, estrodil, etc), Renin. Another important pituitary tests is prolactin.

You can not test estrogen and testosterone and progesterone will on HRT or birth control pills. The results will be biased and mean cow patties.

You can not test renin or aldosterone if you are on HRT, BCs OR beta-blockers. You have to be off your meds 4-8 weeks to ensure no bias from HRT or betas. Most can not give up their beta's.

Adrenal dysfunction can be inspired and temporary as a result of too long untreated or undertreated hypothyroidism.. This can actually cause the adrenal glands to atrophe.. mine did. It can also be due to autoimmune attack or a few different illnesses. Gettin a thyroid savvy MD is hard enough.. getting one that knows the thyroid and adrenals and hypothalamus and pituitary gland.. well that is truly a shot in the dark. Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going and how your MDs are working with you.

MG

Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Hey, thanks ******** for the insight. If your adrenal dysfunction is inspired and temporary as a result of too long untreated or undertreated hypothyroidism then do the doctors usually treat you or leave you to suffer?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Depends on the MD doll. If they have let you stay under treated or untreated.. they most likely are going to pull out the garlic and crosses and try to banish you like something evil if you bring up and prove adrenal issues. I had to fight and find an MD willing to treat me optimally to get anything done.

Also as far as hypoT adrenal insufficiency. If the glands do not rebound in 6-9 months or cortisol replacement treatment... they are most likely dead and done. However when you get the timing right on your cortisol tablets and such you really do feel alive again. No more walking zombie. I wish I had better advice, btu if the MD is not willing to run the test and rule it out.. thye are not going to be able to treat you as you deserve to be treated.

MG

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
    TV in RV
    (female)

TV in RV HB User

Oh, my Endo will test my adrenals. Even if I have to wear my combat boots. He will hear all about my trouble

Closed Thread