It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid nodules and pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
    benmacan
    (female)

benmacan HB User
    thyroid nodules and pregnancy

L know I have posted before about my 5 tiny nodules on my thyroid but I was really interested to know if they could be brought on after a pregnancy and if in anyway they could be related to childbirth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: thyroid nodules and pregnancy

You need to be tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You may have the hypothyroid autoimmune disorder well known for generating nodules. It is often triggered in a period of hormonal flux.. puberty, pregnancy, or menopause. 12.6 % of the population has it.. so it is a possibility.

You should have a thorough evaluation of your blood. Always get copies of your labs and make sure that they are following those nodules. If you have Hashimoto's and it activated during pregnancy you are now a high risk pregnancy candidate for future pregnancies, because the antibodies can attack the fetus's developing thyroid across the placenta.

The basci thyroid panel you should have run at least quartly if you have nodules and are not trying to optimize thyroid meds: TSH 3rd Gen, FT3, FT4. Try and get the blood drawn before 9 am. Also if you are on thyroid supplementation do not that your meds until after your blood has been drawn.

You should also have the Hashimoto's tests run: Antibodies:TPOAb and TGAb. These are the 85 and 75 percent positive identifiers for Hashimoto's. Note there is a 15-25% of the tests throwing a FALSE negative. A biopsy of the thyroid tissue is the only 100% identification method for Hashimoto's.

MG

Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
    Kari1980
    (female)

Kari1980 HB User
    Re: thyroid nodules and pregnancy

HI I have the same problem. With my 2nd son I had very mild hyperthyroidism. With my 3rd child I was really watching my weight because I gained ALOT with him 40 lbs but I noticed that I was losing too much weight went down to 117 and losing hair which I thought was from nursing BUT I had blood work done and I was very hyper...with a small 1 c.m. nodule. They consider it postpardom hyperthyroidims. They are not sure if the nodule is making too much hormone and hopefully it'll settle down. I was on propanolol (blood press) meds and also 20 mg. of methimazole and it turned me the total opposite "hypo" my energy level stinks now. I have a swollen thyroid gland that someone noticed in church on sunday from getting off of it. I think that it is postpardom but if it doesn't settle down I will probebly have surgery just to remove one lobe. We are t hinking of getting preg. again but I am scared and just don't want any trouble, but at the same time I don't want to live in fear because of it. I get labs done in two weeks. Have you had any other tests ran?????

Closed Thread