It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feeling alone and hopeless

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
    mollyanne24
    (female)

mollyanne24 HB User
    Post Feeling alone and hopeless

I am having trouble knowing where to start, I feel so out of my mind right now.

I guess I'll start at the begining. When I was 22 yrs. old my ob/gyn said she was having my thyroid tested. She thought I was hypo (or at least that is what she was hoping for). I was always cold, extremely tired etc. When the test came back she said "something" was a little low and I should she an endo. I did. Left crying. Not only could I not understand him he told me to stop being a baby and put a blanket on if I was so cold.

Over the past 4 years I've had the following problems. Extreme cold (worse that when I was 22). I will actually sit with a hoodie, a shirt, long pants, socks, slippers and two blankets on when family members are removing their shirts b/c they are so warm. Extremely irritable (feel out of my mind most of the time). Always tired. Forgetfullness and a general fog. I used to be able to remember EVERYTHING, everyones names I met and then in the past year or two that has gone down hill. I even forgot the name of someone I have known for two years and who had just left the room (boy did that get me some weird looks). Over the past two years I have been having occasional night sweats (soaking hair and clothes, have to change my clothes and sheets it is so bad). I cry a lot. If someone looks at me wrong when I'm talking I'll bust out in tears. Also, I have had ovarian cysts that bled into themselves causing me to be under the care of my gyn for 8 months. Also, I was put on birth control at the age of 16 b/c my periods were so painful that I wasn't able to walk. My family has a history of hormone disorders, thyroid disorders and ovarian cancer.

So anyway. I decided to see a different doc. None will see me with out my blood tests from 4 years ago! Well I have had them faxed upwards of 7 times to several different doctors (I have moved so this makes it more difficult). No doctor will see me because for some reason the fax never makes it to them. I have called all of them crying. I am at the point of not knowing whether i need to see a psychiatrist or just sit in my house crying everyday b/c at least they will see me with out blood tests.

I guess I'm at the point where I want to go to my gyn and cry and refuse to leave until something is done. Insight? Suggestions? I really need to know what to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User
    Re: Feeling alone and hopeless

Molly, you have a heart-wrenching story! I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Your symptoms are all VERY classic hypothyroid, but I'm having trouble understanding why a new doctor would not just run their own test?!?! Are they trying to compare your levels from years ago to see if they've changed? At any rate, TRY not to give up. It is not worth being miserable the rest of your life for. There HAS to be a doctor out there willing and able to help you, with or without previous blood tests. My prayers are with you that you'll find someone who truly LISTENS and ACTS upon the things you are saying. By the way, that doctor who told you to get a blanket should have a swift kick in the behind, in my opinion.

WHEN you do find a doctor to listen to you, be SURE you list all your symptoms and tell them about your FAMILY HISTORY of those disorders. That's VERY important. Also ask them to do a complete blood analysis of the TSH and FREE T3 and T4 levels. I'm still a little new here, lol, but from what I've read they are more important than the regular T3 and T4 levels doctors usually test. Best of luck to you!!! Oh, and try asking on here for some good endocrinologists in your area. You never know, someone may just have an answer for you!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Molly,

Some labs throw away results after a few yrs. Although I usually always get my lab reports, I had missed a few. Like you I kept asking them to fax the reports but it never happened. That's went I found out that they were probably destroyed. Sorry to give you bad news. I was upsett. Fam

Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
    T4T3hell
    (female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User

M---
    Are you trying to see doctors in your area?
    I wonder if your name hasn't gotten around---and no one wants to see you.
    It happened to me. I had seen a couple different endoidiots in town---and I kept getting sicker---so I made appointments to see others who I was assured "were good, real good".
    Well, they weren't. ONe allowed me to make an appointment---and then when he found out I had seen a doctor he had a "disagreement with", he immediately called and cancelled my appointment.
    I finally ended up going to an endoidiot---who had a very nasty reputation around town. I went to four different appointments with this doctor---and I was always the only patient!!!
    I had seen this doctor once before I "secretly" went to a pituitary specialty center in Oregon---where I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and secondary hypothyroidism. When I got back---and shared with this doctor what I had learned at the pituitary center---the endoidiot went ballistic and threw me out of her office!!!
    She even threatened to call the cops when I didn't move fast enough!!!

Try not to take all of this personally. I'm absolutely dumbfounded at how bad some endos can be. Could you go to a teaching hospital/university medical hospital???

Something ain't right---and it sounds like it's above and beyond the dumb endos that haven't been able to help you.

Good luck...and keep us posted.

PS: I was "dx'd by internist and endos as being bi-polar, depressed, and more because I would just cry, I was so sick and tired. I had seen a couple of psychiatrists---and they all insisted that my problems were endocrine---and they were. Of course the endos maintained that the psychiatrists didn't know anything about mental illness...honestly, I saw the "ugly side" of modern medicine. Some big egos got smacked down!!!
    Hang in there!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
    mollyanne24
    (female)

mollyanne24 HB User

Thanks everyone for your support. No, I haven't been seeing doctors around here. The dr. that I saw was 80 miles away. I have called every doctor around here and none will even hear my name until they have a faxed copy of my old labs (which my previous gyn has in my file). I know this b/c the secretary was looking at it when talking to me. I am going to call one of the doctors again today. This office seemed more willing to help but when I didn't get a call back I got frustrated and angry and simply put it out of my mind. I should have given them a call.

I truly feel like sometimes I must just be out of my mind. I feel like if I go in with all of my symptoms it is going to look like I'm looking for a certain diagnosis which isn't true I just want some one to tell me why I feel like this. I really feel that if I add in the part about crying at the drop of a dime it will make them think I'm crazy. Is this a symptom or not? In other words...do I have to mention it? Is is a good idea or bad??

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement, it really does mean a lot.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mollyanne24 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your support. No, I haven't been seeing doctors around here. The dr. that I saw was 80 miles away. I have called every doctor around here and none will even hear my name until they have a faxed copy of my old labs (which my previous gyn has in my file). I know this b/c the secretary was looking at it when talking to me. I am going to call one of the doctors again today. This office seemed more willing to help but when I didn't get a call back I got frustrated and angry and simply put it out of my mind. I should have given them a call.

I truly feel like sometimes I must just be out of my mind. I feel like if I go in with all of my symptoms it is going to look like I'm looking for a certain diagnosis which isn't true I just want some one to tell me why I feel like this. I really feel that if I add in the part about crying at the drop of a dime it will make them think I'm crazy. Is this a symptom or not? In other words...do I have to mention it? Is is a good idea or bad??

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement, it really does mean a lot.
    Molly,

Can you call your old OB and have her send you a lab request for a new thyroid panel to be drawn locally? Tell her you are trying to get into an endocrinologist and they require recent lab work with a physicians referral. Let the nurse know you are trying to get into a new MD, but would like to get the blood work out of the way so you can have it in hand for your visit. Be professional and sincere. i am sure your OB will help you.

These are the test you need to request your OB write up for you:
    TSH 3rd gen
    FT3
    FT4
    TPOAb and TGAb.

You can also go into a minute clinic or try and see a local GP and let them know your previous OB found that you had low thyroid hormone. you can tell them that there is an issue getting your records sent to the local MDs and you would appreciate a new set of the labs above run so that you can move on as necessary. You do not need an Endo to diagnose you issues.. just a thyroid savvy MD. You SOUND hypothyroid. I have been in your position before as well. My current MD for adrenal insufficiency, Hashimoto's and secondary hypoT is an integrative medicine internal medicine MD. You might want to look into an integrative care practice near you if there is one. They tend to be more receptive to testing.

Do not give up. Start keeping a log of your symptoms and there severity. Include a daily blood pressure and body temperature check as well. There is my symptom log list in the thread below and a detailed description of how I went about getting diagnosed and treatment there as well. You are not alone and you are not crazy. Have a look over the following thread. I think it may help you. It is my take on basic thyroid care and treatment. I am not an MD.. just the next generation in a long line of autoimmune hypothyroid sufferers.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Welcome to our dysfunctional thyroid family. i hope that we can help you get the help you deserve.

MG

Last edited by mkgb; 07-15-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
    Suey77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suey77 HB User
    Cool Re: Feeling alone and hopeless

Hi Molly many *hugs* ~ ******** has some wonderful suggestions

First of all, get copies of your personal labs and keep them in a file AT HOME. At the Dr appointment, get copies of any new labs for your home file. Then you can go into a new Doctors office with them in your hot little hand. If they want them previous to you arriving, make copies and mail them (or take them in yourself) to a specific person in that office. Slower than faxing, but atleast you KNOW they'll get them

What type Doctor are you trying to see? Perhaps you should try a Holistic or Doctor of Osteopathic medicine. (one w/ D.O. after name)
    I don't think the type matters so much, as long as they LISTEN. Do you have a medical group? You could also call their local office and ask for Doctor recommendations. (had success doing this myself)

Yes, emotions, depression, anxiety are ALL deeply tied to hypo-thy. I *know* what you're going through(**), but try to be more business like when making an appointment.

Keep us posted ~Sue

(**) there have been times when I'd be crying on the drive to work, so that was my signal it's TIME to DO something) **hugs**

Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
    mollyanne24
    (female)

mollyanne24 HB User

Oh and by the way. I was originally tested b/c my ob/gyn felt my thryoid and said it felt large or something.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

hi mollyanne

i have a few suggestions.

1. call a new doc, one you have not called yet, to book an appt. don't tell them you've seen another doc already. start fresh, tell them your symptoms and suspicions of being hypothyroid. you totally sound hypothyroid.

OR

2. go to an ER. that was how i ended up getting diagnosed. i had a panic attack (hypo symptom. i thought i was going nuts and was having a heart attack) and someone had the good mind to check my thyroid levels, which indicated i was hypo.

OR

3. do a search for online labs. there are a few i know of with locations across the states. you can go to these labs and get your bloodwork drawn without a doctors slip but you will have to pay out of pocket, if you can afford it. get a T3, T4, and TSH test. then you can bring the results with you to the idiot doctors who wont book you without tests (which, btw, i think it is ridiculous they wont book you an appt without you giving them prior labwork first. i have never heard such a thing. i am wondering what kind of insurance you have - is it a welfare/state aid? some docs give state aid members the run-around. jerks.)

OR

4. if you can pay or if your insurance will cover, go see a naturopath. they have very good reps in general for listening the the patient. they can diagnose, prescribe and write lab orders (might not be covered by insurance). in addition to naturopaths, people have had good luck with osteopaths, who are more often found in-network with insurance companies.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get copies of your labwork. you can sign a slip when you are drawn which will give the lab permission to send you a copy/copies. always do this. i cant express it enough.

i'm so sorry for your troubles. you are not crazy. you sound very hypo. dont give up though i know it is so tremendously difficult to keep persevering when you are feeling so drained and unwell. let us know how you do. people here are very helpful.

Last edited by scoot; 07-15-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
    mollyanne24
    (female)

mollyanne24 HB User

def. not welfare insurance. I actually have AWESOME insurance. Covers just about everything I could want.

I know the lab thing is strange. But it is every dr. I called in my area. Every single doctor. It's just unbelievable. How could you as a doctor let someone be out there suffering. Geez.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
    Kris0120
    (female)

Kris0120 HB User

Sorry for your bad experiences. Yes, crying at everything is one the symptoms. I went in to my G.P. with a big list of problems. I thought maybe I was perimenopausal or something with my female hormones. She ran my tsh and checked some female hormones, while I was still there she said "I'm sure all your tests will be normal, and I'm writing a RX for depression."(which I knew I didn't have) I didn't take the antidepressants and called for my blood work results. The nurse told me my tsh is high and my thyroid would never function normally again. They didn't run any other tests (free t4, free t3 or antibodies) That was a year and a half ago, and I just switched to a new doc. and have an appt. the end of July. Just be persistant and follow your gut instict. We know our bodies best and know if the docs. are missing something. Good Luck, and let us know how things turn out. Kris

Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
    T4T3hell
    (female)

T4T3hell HB UserT4T3hell HB User

Keep plugging away. I used to bawl like a calf when I saw the doctors---and they insisted everything was ok---but it wasn't.
    If they keep insisting---tell them that you want some ideas about what else it could be.
    Good luck...

Closed Thread