It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Selenium doubles diabetes risks!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
    marilla
    (female)

marilla HB User
    Selenium doubles diabetes risks!?

I've just come across some terrible info

Apparently, taking 200 mcg of selenium a day DOUBLES your chances of developing type 2 diabetes! Just search for "selenium" and "diabetes" on the net, there's plenty of articles.

Add to that, the autoimmune factor that's a problem for those of us with Hashi's.
    The reason I started taking selenium in the first place was to try and decrease the number of antibodies. And now it seems it only makes our issues worse!

I've been taking selenium supplements for a couple of months or so, 200 mcg a day, my doc suggested it and some folks on this site, also... Before that, I used to eat 2 brazil nuts a day, but that didn't really seem to bump my selenium... My selenium is 9.3, with a 2.0-31.0 range.

My antibody count is over 1000. I have a long family history of diabetes, and I'm worried sick over developing it...

Are my selenium levels good or too low? What should I do?
    What should we all do - take selenium in smaller doses, not take it at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread