It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Different brands/kinds of medicine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
    cutejenny77
    (female)

cutejenny77 HB User
    Different brands/kinds of medicine

Hi, I am taking Levothyroxine Sodium -T4 whose brand is Letrox/Euthyrox made by German Manufacturer (Anyone from Germany here?), I don't know if there is any difference between different brands of it since I know Syntroid is the brand of American Manufacturer. The dosage I am taking is measured by one half piece of 50 ug (1mg=1000ug) that is 25 ug, sounds too low?

I also wonder if the Armour Thyroid was invented/made before the Levothyroxine, or the Levothyroxine was made before the Armour Thyroid, since I didn't remember if I took the natural Thyroid (made by animals' thyroids and have the combination of T3/T4) some years ago, and felt bad with it. Does the Armour Thyroid have a different name, such as Dry Thyroid,Thyroid Extract,Thyroidea,Armour Thyroid,or Desiccated Thyroid? It was said that the medcine with the combination of T3/T4 has unstable and unbalanced percentage of T3 and T4, so doctors would suggest the pure T4--Levothyroxine for the ideal medication.

Does anyone know the effects of Chinese medcine/medication? I suspect if it is really effective. Some Chinese medical doctors claimed that they could cure Hypothroidism(Hashimoto's) with Chinese medcine that can decrease the dosage of Thyroid hormone you take step by step, eventually make you away from synthetic medcine, and eliminate the lifelong therapy.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 07-31-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
    GCC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GCC HB User
    Re: Different brands/kinds of medcine

Armour Thyroid has been around more than 100 years.

Synthroid and other T4 meds are synthetic and were first made in the late 1960's and 1970's.

I don't know what other name Armour goes by.

One of the most common mistakes made when using Armour is that the dose is too low.

Closed Thread