It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Total thyroidectomy-Having symptoms-Weaning from Synthroid .175 and going down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
    tbren
    (female)

tbren HB User
    Total thyroidectomy-Having symptoms-Weaning from Synthroid .175 and going down

Hopefully, someone is in my situation. I have a total thyroidectomy. I have been on thyroid replacement for about 13 years. I have been only on
    0.175 Synthroid for the past thirteen years. I have felt great for all of this time. I feel good on 0.175 now but my TSH is almost undectable (0.05). My doctor is dropping my dose down slowly from 0.175, then to 0.175 and 0.15 alternating, now straight 0.15 Synthroid daily. I have had pressure on my head for the past three weeks (like I am wearing a bowling ball). I am dizzy. I have nausea and can barely eat. Has anyone ever been on this high of dose and had to come down and experienced symptoms like this. I know I will have to go in to test in three weeks and I will still be low and he will want to lower me again. I am definitely going to have to see a neurologist to get through these headache pains. I can hardly stand it anymore. I do not go to an endo right now, because the last one dropped me from 0.175 to 0.1 and cytomel (10mcg daily) and I thought I was going to die. I had brain fog, dizziness, sick, itching. It was awful. Any thoughts. I could really use any encouragement. I have been trying to work and take care of my two boys. It is so hard trying to get through the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User
    Re: Total thyroidectomy-Having symptoms-Weaning from Synthroid .175 and going down

Hi Tbren! I'm so sorry to hear how yucky you feel

I don't know much, having just been through a TT myself 5 weeks ago. But are you in danger if your TSH is only .05 on that high of a dose? It seems to me that, if you've been feeling good on that dosage for all these years, why would you have to change it? I understand it's making you hyper, but maybe someone else can weigh in on the pros/cons of being either really hyper or feeling like crap. Ah, what a choice

Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    Re: Total thyroidectomy-Having symptoms-Weaning from Synthroid .175 and going down

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesertRose77 View Post
    Hi Tbren! I'm so sorry to hear how yucky you feel

I don't know much, having just been through a TT myself 5 weeks ago. But are you in danger if your TSH is only .05 on that high of a dose? It seems to me that, if you've been feeling good on that dosage for all these years, why would you have to change it? I understand it's making you hyper, but maybe someone else can weigh in on the pros/cons of being either really hyper or feeling like crap. Ah, what a choice
    Well if I was fine...I wouldn't give a rats *** what my TSH was if I'm honest. Theres no way I'd be happy with my dosage changing thats for sure.

Whats the rest of your results? Is your doc also testing your FT3 and FT4? That is more important than your TSH.

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
    Adrenal Fatigue
    180mg NTH
    28mg HC
    2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
    tbren
    (female)

tbren HB User

My doctors all seem to think so because TSH is apparently the test that tells doctors everything. I believe my T3 and T4 are in order if I can remember from my last blood test. The wierd thing is is that I have never had any hyper symptoms such as fast heart rate. I have always felt pretty good on this dose. Anyway, thank you for your post. It always helps getting some encouragement.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
    tbren
    (female)

tbren HB User

That is what I say. Who cares if my TSH is undetectable as long as I feel good. I believe my T3 and T4 has always pretty much been in normal range or just a point high. I ask my doctors why they cannot go by that and they say the TSH determines everything. So, I guess I get to have a test put me in a wheelchair soon. Hmm. Just does not seem right. Thank you for your post and encouragement. After looking at all of these posts, sometimes I wonder if I will ever be normal again or find a doctor that does not put me comatose. Thanks lots!!

Closed Thread