It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How long to wait before lowering dosage--hypo to hyper

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
    wally777
    (female)

wally777 HB User
    How long to wait before lowering dosage--hypo to hyper

I have been on Synthroid 100mcg for 3 weeks now, having gone up from 75mcg and 30 mg armour together. I was having a hard time with armour and my Dr. thought we should either mix the 2 or go just on synthroid. My TSH was 2.8 then, but I was still feeling awful. All of my numbers were starting to look "within normal" range, but I just had a blood test to check cortisol levels and the Dr. also asked for TSH and now the TSH went up to 8.96 in a few weeks on the 100mcg. My Dr. said just stay on it for another month (she doesnt have to put up with the shakiness) and then we will see. I am concerned that I am heading back to hyper with the increase in TSH and I would like to lower my dose of synthroid sooner rather than later. I am going to another endo the end of this month. Have been waiting to see this Dr. for a long time

Any suggestions???

(I had RAI last Nov. because we could not control the hyper and have been trying to find an optimum level to get "normal" thyroid.)

Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: How long to wait before lowering dosage--hypo to hyper

Higher TSH equals hypOthyroidism, not hyPER. TSH of nearly 9 is very hypO. Lowering your dose is probably the very last thing you need.

Is your doc also measuring your free T4 and free T3 each time she orders bloodwork? If she is only watching TSH, it may take a long time to ever get that dose optimized.

I admit to having no experience at dosing following RAI. RAI is know to cause "dumping" of T4 into the bloodstream for 6 months or more following the procedure. That might explain your episodes of shakiness and other hyper symptoms. If your FT4 isn't being monitored, there is really no way to know how much med you need, and it might be hard to stabilize your levels until that dumping stops.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
    wally777
    (female)

wally777 HB User
    Re: How long to wait before lowering dosage--hypo to hyper

thanks--I don't know what I was thinking--yes, the higher the TSH, more hypo. I have been up and down so much over the past few years and on so many different doses and combinations. At one point my TSH was 135. We have been slowly getting it down and that is why I was frustrated that it was going up again after it had gone down to close to "normal". The endo does order Free T-3 and T-4, but this last test was primarily done to get my cortisol levels and she just threw in TSH level. So now, I guess I wonder if I should increase my dose. I have never heard about the dumping after RAI. I actually was never told anything about that. I have been shaky for a long time though from when I was hyper and since the RAI. That is why they were testing my cortisol and adrenals.

Closed Thread