It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

nodule--Tumor/Surgical department, not Endo?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .
Posts: 290
cutejenny77 HB User
nodule--Tumor/Surgical department, not Endo?

Hi, all.

I have a solitary nodule whose size is 0.7cm*0.4cm detected by ultrasound. but I was told to see Surgical/ Tumor Department because the Endo docs could not have much experiences on the dignosis of nodules. Is it true?

Actually I found in the profile of hospital that some MDs who are specialized in the tumor(including many kinds of tumors)/surgery are experienced in the field of Thyroid Tumor/Carcinoma. and Until now the Endo doctors I have seen have so little knowledge of goiter/nodules/tumor.

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-15-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,804
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: nodule--Tumor/Surgical department, not Endo?

First, your nodule is so small, I wouldn't be worrying so much about it at this point.

Second, it's totally dependent on the endo. Some, like mine, have an ultrasound machine in the office, and do their own fna's and ultrasounds. Others send you to a radiologist for that. Mine is very into thyroid, but others spend most of their time working with diabetes patients.

In my case, to get an appt. with an endo. was 4-5 months. So I went to an ENT. An ENT (ontorongologist) is a head neck surgeon, and does thyroid surgery. The ENT evaluated the nodule and did the fna.

Then, since I hated that guy, I went to a thyroid specialist surgeon (you'd have to go to a teaching hospital for this, and live in an area where you have it) to actually have my surgery, and he was the best.

So, an ENT is a good route for following a nodule, an Endo. can also be involved, but they are not the ones that do the surgery.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!