It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Finally got free T3 and T4 - could someone help me?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
beautyofspeed
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User
Finally got free T3 and T4 - could someone help me?

Hi everyone,

I finally got the results of my T3 and T4 (along with TSH from before).

Here are my values. Could anyone tell me what they think, i.e., am I hypothyroid or borderline hypo or just fine and normal :-)

TSH: 2.6
free T3: 4.9 (3.5-6.4 pmol/L)
free T4: 11.3 (10.5-20.0 pmol/L)

Thanks!
~BOS~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Finally got free T3 and T4 - could someone help me?

If you're having symptoms, I would say you're hypo. Your FT4 is very low, lower than most women need it to be; your FT3 may or may not be sufficient for you as an individual; and your TSH is twice as high as the average healthy person.

If you're having symptoms, I would say you deserve a trial of thyroid hormone to see if it makes you feel better. Expect most docs to give you a hard time about treating it, though.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User

Your numbers are very similar to mine. My tests were ordered by my ENT and they said my numbers were all "normal":
TSH 2.53 (range .34-5.6)
T4 .77 (range .61-1.12)
T3 105 (range 80-200)

Since I'd already read on the posts that now anything over 2 -2.5 is considered high, I called a friend of mine (nurse) whose husband is an M.D. and asked her about it. She said that he treats anything over 2 if you have symptoms!! (I started a thread yesterday with my symptoms 'have dr. appt. tom. - need advice', but I haven't gotten any replies

Anyway, my appointment is this afternoon at 4:00 - I am so excited that there may be an answer to my misery for the past 2 years!!!!! Hope I'm not dissapointed. I will let you know what he says.

By the way - this is not my usual family doctor. He just looks at me like I'm nuts!! What are your hypo symptoms???

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Here are my values. Could anyone tell me what they think, i.e., am I hypothyroid or borderline hypo or just fine and normal :-)

TSH: 2.6 Since 2006 the normal range for TSH has been recommended to be 0.3-2.5. If Hashimoto's is present the range is refined further to 0.3-2.0. This is the recommendation of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the National Association of Clinical Biologists. The optimal TSH range that was used to derive this range is 0.89-1.1. You want a TSH around 1. Now once you start taking medications.. T3 in particular your TSH levels can be biased and compromised. Right now I would say you are techinically hypothyroid. The question is what is causing it and how to get it treated?

Women of childbearing age are at optimal thyroid hormone levels when they have Ft levels in the 60-80% range of normal. The A A C E and N A C B state 50-80% of normal range is optimal. Let us see where you are at percentage wise.

free T3: 4.9 (3.5-6.4 pmol/L) You are at 48.3 % of the normal range here. This is suboptimal.. but not too far out of range. The lower your T3 levels drop the higher that TSH is going to get. the T3 level has the strongest impact on your TSH levels.

free T4: 11.3 (10.5-20.0 pmol/L) Yuck! This is low without me looking at the calculations.. but let us get your numbers anyway. You are at 8.4% of normal. Wow. I went as low as 5 and 10 % (FT4 and FT3 respectively). At those levels I felt like a pulverized cow patty with the mental capability and energy to match.

You are hypoT, but you need to get some other things checked out. What worries me is your balance. Your Ft3 levels are 40% higher than your Ft4 levels. This is often a sign that your adrenal glands have suffered trauma or damaged due to your hypoT state. You need adrenal testing to make sure that you are not suffering from hypoadrenalism (adrenal insufficiency). Also if you haven't been tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis you need your antibodies checked. Good luck. Most MDs are going to make you fight for these tests.

MG
Thanks!
~BOS~[/QUOTE]

Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
beautyofspeed
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post

TSH: 2.6 Since 2006 the normal range for TSH has been recommended to be 0.3-2.5. If Hashimoto's is present the range is refined further to 0.3-2.0. This is the recommendation of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the National Association of Clinical Biologists. The optimal TSH range that was used to derive this range is 0.89-1.1. You want a TSH around 1. Now once you start taking medications.. T3 in particular your TSH levels can be biased and compromised. Right now I would say you are techinically hypothyroid. The question is what is causing it and how to get it treated?

Women of childbearing age are at optimal thyroid hormone levels when they have Ft levels in the 60-80% range of normal. The A A C E and N A C B state 50-80% of normal range is optimal. Let us see where you are at percentage wise.

free T3: 4.9 (3.5-6.4 pmol/L) You are at 48.3 % of the normal range here. This is suboptimal.. but not too far out of range. The lower your T3 levels drop the higher that TSH is going to get. the T3 level has the strongest impact on your TSH levels.

free T4: 11.3 (10.5-20.0 pmol/L) Yuck! This is low without me looking at the calculations.. but let us get your numbers anyway. You are at 8.4% of normal. Wow. I went as low as 5 and 10 % (FT4 and FT3 respectively). At those levels I felt like a pulverized cow patty with the mental capability and energy to match.

You are hypoT, but you need to get some other things checked out. What worries me is your balance. Your Ft3 levels are 40% higher than your Ft4 levels. This is often a sign that your adrenal glands have suffered trauma or damaged due to your hypoT state. You need adrenal testing to make sure that you are not suffering from hypoadrenalism (adrenal insufficiency). Also if you haven't been tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis you need your antibodies checked. Good luck. Most MDs are going to make you fight for these tests.

MG
Thanks!
~BOS~
[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you all so much for the info. See, this is why I need this board, I had no idea.

The symptoms that bother me the most are:
extreme fatigue
weight gain (hard to lose weight)
terrible sleep, restless, fitful, waking up every few hours
hypersensitivity and way overemotional
migraines

Those are the main ones, I could think of a lot more!

I'm going to print this out and give it to my (new) doctor and my naturopath. Thank you for calculating and taking the time. I just don't really know what to do from here, and no one is taking me seriously.

~BOS~

Closed Thread