It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

tsh 6.5 enough to be hypo??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
tsh 6.5 enough to be hypo??

a month and a half ago i started getting this tight throat feeling and sometimes its really bad. almost makes me want to gag. i actually have gagged a few times from it. i also have terrible anxiety. i just came out of a 2 and a half year illness and now this thoat feeling is killing me. sometimes its easy to deal with and sometimes its the worst feeling in the world. can anyone relate to it? im on prilosec for possible acid reflux but its been weeks and i don't think i have that.

anyways went to the doctor for my throat tightness and he ordered a thyroid test. tsh came back 6.5. they said that was high and i have hypothyroidism. they said its only slightly high though and from what i read normal is 3.0 so wouldn't mine be double that therefore not just slightly, why do doctors always downgrade things? anyways he gave me a choice if i wanted to treat it with synthroid or to treat anxiety.

anyone else with the throat problems? its taking over my life

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
TV in RV
(female)

TV in RV HB User
Re: tsh 6.5 enough to be hypo??

I had throat problems. I actualy almost choked on spinach and had trouble swallowing, hiccups ect. My "choker" necklaces literally choked me because they were too small all of the sudden.

6.5 is definately a strong indicator that your thyroid hormone T3 and T4 is low. My endo said that anything over 2.5 is a red flag.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I hope you chose the Synthroid. You are definitely hypothyroid with TSH over 6. A healthy person who has no thyroid disease usually has a TSH of about 1, no more than 2. Three is never "normal" if there are symptoms present.

Anxiety is at the top of the symptom list for hypoT. Since hypoT is the likely root cause of that anxiety, there is very little common sense to "treating" it with anti-anxiety meds.

The throat tightness can be from:
1. Goiter
2. Nodules
3. Gland inflammation
4. The anxiety caused by the hypoT

Take the Synthroid and run with it!

Last edited by midwest1; 09-12-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I was hypoT at a TSH of 1.5.. It is safe to say that you are hypothyroid by that TSH and you need to get your Free T3 and Free t4 tested to see how hypothyroid you are and if you are balanced with what hormone you are producing.

The sensation that you describe is a common symptom to those with thyroid dysfunction. you should get a thyroid ultrasound to get a clear picture of your thyroid's size and whether or not nodules are present. Another thing to test for is Hashimoto's. If you get all this down you will have a good base data set by which to treat and follow your condition.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread