It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

opinion for others

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Linma2428
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
opinion for others

Anyone with some knowledge I would appreciate any thoughts about my lab results.

3 years ago I had my TSH, t3 and t4 checked. I was 1.37 for TSH and my T3 was .9. The range for normal on the test for t-3 was .8 to something not sure can't remember the high range just remember my number on the other end.

Anyway I saw a doctor a little while ago a different doctor. He wouldn't check my T3 or T4. My TSH was 1.74 So he said its i the normal range which it is.

My question is. Since my Tsh was 1.37 and my t3 .9 now that the Tsh is up a little but still in the normal range. Does the t3 change whem the TSH changes. And if it does change what goes on. I mean does the TSh go up and that makes the t3 go down. While I am not in the doctors eye out of the normal range with the TSH I just wonder if my T3 has likely gone down below the .8 and maybe that be affecting me and making me feel bad. Of course he won't check it. So I am going to a different doctor for another check. I just want to tell her I want my t3 check and the reason being my Tsh is up and maybe t3 down if that is how it works. I know I might not be saying writing this where its understandable.

Other question. If your t3 is lower then the normal range what would that mean? If your tsh is normal. Or does it not mean anything really.

Thanks anyone Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: opinion for others

Alright here is my chemist's take on this...

Your TSH fluctuates depending on the time of day. That alone can cause a change. However I do think you need a complete profile run especially if you have symptoms.

What you need is a thyroid savvy MD that is willing to check your TSH, FT3, FT4, TPOAb, and TGAb. This will let you know if you have a thyroid issue or not. The T3 and T4 are not accurate enough.. but given how low your T3 may have been you could have a progressive Autoimmune source, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Stick to your guns, stress your symptoms, and firmly insist on a complete thyroid panel including antibodies for your peace of mind. Good luck. If you have positive antibodies then you need to find an MD that is for proactive treatment of Hashi's.. they can be hard to find.

MG

Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: opinion for others

first, these are 'frees' we're talking about, right? "Free T3 and Free T4"thats what you are looking for, and is different from just plain old "T3 and T4".

if your free t3 is lower than the normal range, it probably means your body is having a hard time converting your medication from t4 to t3. some people do ok on a t4 medication like levothyroxine, but others need a t3 med in addition to that, like cytomel.

your tsh will go up when you pituitary senses your body needs more t4. i dont know if this same process happens in regards to the t3.

i'm not sure what your ranges are at the lab you've been to, but if they're the same ranges as mine, then your t3 is really low.

i'm glad you're seeing a new doctor.

Closed Thread