It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

NEED ADVICE on Levels - Hyperthyroidism

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
whobitty
(female)

whobitty HB User
NEED ADVICE on Levels - Hyperthyroidism

I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but the doctors emphasized that my levels are only slightly elevated. T4 is 12.4, T3 is 229, and TSH is 0.33 (slightly low). I was prescribed prophylthiouracil. I am not sure if I should take it or not, because I am eight weeks pregnant. I have read that both prophylthiouracil and hyperthyroidism are harmful to the baby, so I am not sure what to do. Are my levels low enough to not take the medicine? Should I get a second opinion (I have only been to the ER)?

My symptoms are occasional racing heart when lying down/sleeping and after eating. I have also been very hungry, but I also haven't eaten much for a couple of weeks due to morning sickness. Thanks for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
GravesGirl73
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: NEED ADVICE on Levels - Hyperthyroidism

Hi!
as far as your labs you need the frees tested, that will give you a better picture of what's actually in your bloodstream.Also you can post the ranges for the tests you had. According to my ranges the t-3 is a little over.The t-4 is at the top. He/She might be looking at the tsh only which is just in the range. You might be heading hyper, sometimes this straightens out in the second trimester, but you might have hyper thyroid after giving birth. As far as being dangerous, being slightly hyper is actually better during pregnancy than hypo. Make sure your doc keeps tabs on this. You can take ptu during pregnancy if the levels get out of whack. You should have the antibodies for Graves testing done too.I don't know what the first med you mentioned is. Just keep on the doc about it, what does he say about it?

Closed Thread