It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

I keep having problems with gas. is that from low thyroid?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User
I keep having problems with gas. is that from low thyroid?

I keep having to fart alot is that from low thyroid? My eyes are also getting dry. I need to get a blood test but i keep putting it off. I will do it this week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: I keep having problems with gas. is that from low thyroid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I keep having to fart alot is that from low thyroid? My eyes are also getting dry.
Possibly. Remember to get tested

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
jrose1358
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

A lot of people with Thyroid problems also have irritable bowel problems. I know that when my thyroid levels are out of balance it aggravates my IBS. Only way to know is to get yourself tested. Make sure they test TSH,
Free T3 and Free T4. Blessings -jrose

Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
A lot of people with Thyroid problems also have irritable bowel problems. I know that when my thyroid levels are out of balance it aggravates my IBS. Only way to know is to get yourself tested. Make sure they test TSH,
Free T3 and Free T4. Blessings -jrose
I will go get the blood test monday i hope. I feel tired and my vacation is almost over. I felt better before my vaction started.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Whether it causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or not, being hypo slows EVERYTHING down. This means that things move more slowly through your digestive tract, and fibrous foods (beans are notorious, but are not the only culprit) have more time to ferment, and thus more gas may be formed. Have you tried taking an enzyme supplement like Beano with your meals? Regardless of whether it is consumed with beans, this provides the enzymes to break down fiber more completely in the intestines, thus preventing the embarrassing.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Have you tried "The Activia Challenge", yogurt every day, don't miss a day, for 2 wks? I don't know if other brands would do the same thing. Would want to reward them with my business for so helpfully bringing up the subject. I wouldn't leave off the usual like Pepto until completely sure.

Metformin for diabetes, in addition to IBS, causes gas. Good luck.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-22-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User

I went to get a blood test today. But they told me i have to see new doctor first. so I made an apointment for 10-3 9:30. Almost 2 weeks from now I hope the new doctor is as good as my old doctor with the thyroid.

Last edited by tootal2; 09-22-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Why New Doctor? Network?

Oh Dear, we nearly all have trouble finding a compatible primary care doctor.

You didn't say why they told you to see a new one? Because yours isn't in the B.C. Network? That's why I'm still trying, all summer, to find a good new one. And fwiw, I don't like the ones who want previous records, instead of giving you a fresh opinion all their own. Usually we wouldn't be consulting a new one if we were satisfied with the previous one. One that I really liked passed about about 1999 or 2001 and I'm still searching ever since.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Oh Dear, we nearly all have trouble finding a compatible primary care doctor.

You didn't say why they told you to see a new one? Because yours isn't in the B.C. Network? That's why I'm still trying, all summer, to find a good new one. And fwiw, I don't like the ones who want previous records, instead of giving you a fresh opinion all their own. Usually we wouldn't be consulting a new one if we were satisfied with the previous one. One that I really liked passed about about 1999 or 2001 and I'm still searching ever since.
Since the old doctor quit the other doctor is overloaded with work. So it takes two weeks to get appointment. I was hoping i could get the blood test first then see the doctor. the doctor is in my network same office as the old doctor.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Since the old doctor quit the other doctor is overloaded with work. So it takes two weeks to get appointment. I was hoping i could get the blood test first then see the doctor. the doctor is in my network same office as the old doctor.
Oh. Well, in case this is at all helpful, and Allergist is also an Immunologist, I believe, and a couple of times when I've wanted blood work before seeing a doctor I've had her request it for me. She then recommends an endo to deal with thyroid details, but I and so many others here have been so disappointed in them, researching things online seems to be a lot faster way to learn what we need to know. JMO.
The Activia really seems to be helping a lot, btw. I must be nearing the end of the 2 wks, started with a 2-wk supply, and probably will keep up the habit, a good little desert or snack for a diabetic. Good luck with everything.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #11
Suey77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Smile Re: I keep having problems with gas. is that from low thyroid?

I've read about this elsewhere, so I know I'm not imagining things

Personally, I was only hypo & UNtreated for less than 6 months. But when my TSH was 6+ one symptom I had was "fiber or too much of wrong food" induced Diarrhea. (beans, salads etc were a noNO!) I also know that IBS & hypo go hand-in-hand. So it makes sense to me that excessive gas COULD be a hypo issues also

Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User

I have been hypo for at least 20+ years. but only found out that i was hypo 3 years ago. I always wondered why i got so tired in high school and my eyes use to be dry all the time. My mom is hypo but she never had me tested.

also i seem to be doing less number 2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
I've read about this elsewhere, so I know I'm not imagining things

Personally, I was only hypo & UNtreated for less than 6 months. But when my TSH was 6+ one symptom I had was "fiber or too much of wrong food" induced Diarrhea. (beans, salads etc were a noNO!) I also know that IBS & hypo go hand-in-hand. So it makes sense to me that excessive gas COULD be a hypo issues also

Closed Thread