It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• rx for hypothyroidism??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
    smackle
    (female)

smackle HB User
    rx for hypothyroidism??

I have had low t4 for 5 years but don't suffer from symptoms. last blood check indicated same, high tsh, low t4, did not check t 3, but in 03 the t3 was normal. md prescribed levothyroxine which I've taken for 4 weeks. It makes me very very cranky and intolerant, ready to blow with little provocation. I asked for different rx, she prescribed armour, but I am vegan and that is pig derived. she prescribed thyolar because I saw it on a website and am not familiar with other meds. I see that thyolar is t3 and t4, so am not sure this is what I need. can anyone make a comment? should I not have a t3 test prior to taking this? thanks for any help.
    smackle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: rx for hypothyroidism??

Yes, you shoudl liekly have Free T3 and Free t4 tested if you are taking any med that has T3 in it, just to be safe.

Now, since you are Vegan, I have to ask if you consume a significant amount of soy. If you do, that, alone, could be your problem. The "healthy benefits" of soy are LARGELY marketing hype and flat out lies. The isoflavones that are claimed to have these miracle benefits are well known to be potent anti-thyroid chemicals that interfere with thyroid hormone production, AND your body's ability to use thyroid hormone.

A simple dietary adjustment to get your protein from a better source might be all that you need.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
    Minnie71
    (female)

Minnie71 HB User

Hi, I am veg*n (almost 100% vegan, especially at home but going out for meals it's a lot harder) and I am on Synthroid. I am doing very well on it and I think it's vegetarian. I looked up the drug manufacturer's website when I was first prescribed this and I didn't see anything that looked like it was animal. I did object to the colour added but whatever. I have my life back, and it's synthetic so I can live with it.

I eat soy. I stay away from broccoli and cauliflower (and other cruciferous sp?) veggies. I don't eat a lot of processed soy. I drink rice milk, sometimes have veggie 'lunch meat' but I do eay tofu and tempeh. I think it's the processed foods that one has to worry about. If soy, that is tofu and tempeh, are so 'bad', then China and Japan would be filled with people who have thyroid problems. I am not a doctor - this is my opinion only.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
    smackle
    (female)

smackle HB User

thanks minnie for your response. apparently soy is not thyroid friendly, but like you, I avoid processed fake meat products and eat only tofu or tempeh. I happen to eat alot of brocoli and cauliflower during the winter months tho. I did not kow this was anti thyroid. hmmmm. I spoke to naturopath who said if I have no symptoms, that I should not take medication. the levothyroxine makes me very cranky. have not been this cranky since menopause and divorce. thank you for sharing with me!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
    smackle
    (female)

smackle HB User

thankyou ,meep, for your reply to my inquiry re. need for blood levels of t 3 and 4. re. the soy, I probably eat a pound a week of plain tofu, I do not eat the more processed stuff. do you suppose that makes a difference? I do like brocoli and cauliflower and eat alot in winter, none in summer and I don't notice any difference in how I feel. I am going to dump the medication entirely now after talking to a naturopath who said if I have no hypothyroidism symptoms, I probably am better off without it. I concur. I am taking tyrosine and kelp which are needed to convert from t4 to t3. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minnie71 View Post
    If soy, that is tofu and tempeh, are so 'bad', then China and Japan would be filled with people who have thyroid problems. I am not a doctor - this is my opinion only.
    Fermented soy is generally OK, as the fermentation destroys the nasty isoflavones. Tempeh is fermented, as are soy sauce, natto and tamari. Other soy foods, Tofu, included, are likely detrimental to your health if eaten in any significant quantity.

Here are a few snips from the Weston A Price Foundation on the subject of soy:

Myth: Asians consume large amounts of soy foods.

Truth: Average consumption of soy foods in Japan and China is 10 grams (about 2 teaspoons) per day. Asians consume soy foods in small amounts as a condiment, and not as a replacement for animal foods.

Myth: Soy estrogens (isoflavones) are good for you.

Truth: Soy isoflavones are phyto-endocrine disrupters. At dietary levels, they can prevent ovulation and stimulate the growth of cancer cells. Eating as little as 30 grams (about 4 tablespoons) of soy per day can result in hypothyroidism with symptoms of lethargy, constipation, weight gain and fatigue.

Some people have a higher tolerance for these things than others, and you may be able to eat soy in quantity with no problem, but be cautioned that there are potential problems, and weigh the benefits against the risks.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
    smackle
    (female)

smackle HB User

thank you for your reply, Meep. this is great info to know. I will begin changing my use of soy from tofu to tempeh. I will see how this may be helpful to me and my thyroid!

Closed Thread