It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hi y'all...........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
    Hi y'all...........

Thought I'd bop thru and say hi. I've been a little down in the dumps lately but have decided it's time to drop the attitude and start gearing up for the next battle. I'm going to dump it and leave the garbage behind and start fresh again. You all are elected to act as garbage cans.

My appointment with the hematologist is going to be a bit delayed. The insurance company has decided that I need to see an oncologist who specializes in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer instead. Ok. Maybe one day I'll see the logic in it. The nurses at my gp's office seem to so where's my problem with it? Oh well. Maybe just me. I go the 14th of october. It's supposed to be a lovely state of the art cancer treatment center. The insurance company's authorized 25 visits. I should have a blast.

According to the office notes, my gp seems to think I'm a little depressed. But he does state that that's unlike me and might just be due to my ongoing medical problems. Hey, gold star doc! Maybe we could do something about it???

My hands are actually finally starting to clear up with the new cream. I still can't do anything that puts any pressure on em or they start to break out again but at least they aren't nearly as ugly anymore. Foot's so-so healing but I can keep my shoes on and no one sees it.

Not only did my hands take a hit from the cortisone injection but evidently, so has the rest of the immune system. I've been battling infections. One on top of the other. An abscess here, an abscess there. A major sinus infection last week, shingles on my face this week. I've run out of my stash of z-packs but I'm hoping the shingles will be my grand finale. They did manage to slip me in for a quick, yep, shingles, in the hall with the gp yesterday so I've got my acyclovir now. He was sweet though. Told me if I had any problems with it to come back and tell em that he said he wanted to see me. No appt needed.

School is going well. I'm really enjoying it.

Oh. That's right. This is a thyroid board. Thyroid labs:

TSH 0.242L (0.300 - 4.900)
    FT4 1.02 (0.70 - 1.48)
    FT3 4.59H (1.71 - 3.71)
    Thryoglobulin 93.74H (0.5 - 55.0)

According to my chart, I'm now hypothyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Re: Hi y'all...........

It just seems like you are being bombarded with anything that can go wrong! I'm sorry it's so bad at the moment, and it's hard to handle so many things at once. Please let it free here anytime.

I must have not read enough--do you have lung cancer?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Well I get to add PCOS as of this morning. OH and I am hypoglycemic. *snort* Well someone up there knows I like a challenge. However I do think one can have too many challenges.

Hypothyroid? Who stated that whopper?
    TSH 0.242L (0.300 - 4.900) Well they must not be looking and watching this golden value. *imagine sarcasm dripping freely off those letters*
    FT4 1.02 (0.70 - 1.48) You are at 41% here. This is a tad low given your hysterectomy. Levels should be up a smidge. 50% in range. You may have a bit of the hypoT neurological fun facts of hypoT blues and mental fog.
    FT3 4.59H (1.71 - 3.71) This is not hypothyroid.. AT ALL. You are still hyperT here.
    Thryoglobulin 93.74H (0.5 - 55.0) Huh..

Well after the stint off of my HC at Endiddles request my balance went for a visit to the outhouse. I am back at 20% in FT4 and 53% in FT3. My TSH is a nice 0.54. My progesterone is low, DHEA high, testosterone.. trying to climb out the rough. Estrogen 50%. LH high, billirubin high.. um my magnesium is at 50% again and potassium is finally at 5% of normal range. Fasting glucose levels are still dropping. I am craving carbs like a hamster. Ever seen one stick a whole cracker in its mouth? That is one heck of a feat...

Well that is a general overview. Now we get to look into ovary ultrasounds and treatment. Dang IT! She didn't say anything about the insulin resistance. Guess I get to go back and discuss that later.

I am glad your hands are improving, it sucks to have your immune system compromised. I am glad that you stopped in to unload your load. I gave up trying to understand the philosophy of TriCare. *snort* I wish you a egg head oncologist that loves a challenge and refuses to give up until he finds an answer. My MD gave me her answer. I am just broken. Well it is the truth. We had a good laugh over that one.

MG

Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No sue, I don't have lung cancer. My lungs look very good. Just had a chest xray about a month or so ago. What I have is a need for a hematologist. Problem is there are no hematologists in network. The insurance company seems to think an oncologist is close enough.

I've got iron deficiency anemia without iron deficiency. I've got hemolysis without anemia. I have folate deficiency without folate deficiency. The differentials on the wbc's and some of the other stuff are off a bit. The gp wants some help. He referred me to a really good hematologist. I asked if he was in network so he went to ask the nurse who supposedly checked and all was well and good. I had an appt set up for the 3rd. A week later, I get a call that he isn't in network after all and I have to go see this other guy instead. I've argued til I'm blue in the face but the nurses won't budge. They don't see any difference either. So I'm going. Once I've seen him I can request an out of network referral for a second opinion. It should only delay things by about a month.

mg, Well there's your insulin resistance and probably your hypoglycemia too. PCOS has many faces. Try making sure there's always some fat mixed in with your carbs. Like put some peanut butter on those crackers. That will slow the absorption of the carbs and hopefully keep the bottom from continuously falling out from under you. The sugar probs actually come in handy once in a while. I hit a 474 two days before the eau de roadkill hit the sinuses. Got me a new built in early warning system now.

Doctor's notes get typed up at the main office. I guess someone can't type but I can't wait to see the look on the onc's face when he's presented with a hundred pound hypo. I requested a copy of the referral this time cause I was getting the feeling on all my previous referrals that something just wasn't quite right.

The TSH still might be a little high and I don't feel the high T3 at all. Perhaps the lower T4 level is balancing it out. Who knows? I still feel a lot more stable thyroid wise than I was before starting the cytomel. The thyroglobulin level should come down when the TSH is low enough. It's the TSH that stimulates the production of thyroglobulin. The TSH in RTH is more potent than regular TSH and very difficult to suppress.

The numbers are really more of a curiosity than anything and something that more than anything proves the RTH diagnosis. At that high a FT3, there should be no TSH production whatsoever and I should be climbing the walls. Instead, it's reduced the symptoms. Tremors gone. Palps have all but vanished. I now have a normal startle reflex, and on and on and on. And all this on a reduced dose of beta blockers. The gp is willing to go by symptoms and by feel. That's the way it's supposed to be treated. Now all I gotta do is get this other crap fixed. I wanna feel like I felt this last spring. Two and a half glorious months. I want em back.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Helen,
    I admit I haven't been on here for awhile..used to be B---s remember? Last time i was on here you had a type of diabetes,right? and something with the kidneys also they solved the rth or whatever it's called, right? What is going on now?
    Are you showing a low blood count? Are your blood HTT,MCV,and MCH screwed up? also the RDW-CV. I have Thalessemia and these numbers are always all off,the first 3 are low and the other is high. I went to a hematologist for about a year, I think he wanted to take out my spleen(yikes) but my spleen wasn't enlarged. I have kind of a mild case of it. Did anybody mention this? I'm so sorry you feel like this...remember us pisces always end up okay!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-26-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey girl, of course I remember. Been a long time. How're ya fairing?

You've got a good memory. DMII, RTA Type 3, RTH and a few other letters to boot. The kidney thing (RTA) is being treated with phosphorus and bicarb. Kidney functions holding at the border of stage 2/3 CKD. As long as I can keep it from tipping into stage 3, I should be good there. I started taking T3 in February to suppress the pituitary and it worked wonders. I felt better than I'd ever felt in my life this last spring. Everyone I knew commented on the difference. It felt great. It was finally decided in May that the sugar wasn't going to come under control with the thyroid and I was officially tagged DMII.

The CBC's have been a little odd for the last year or so. Interestingly enough the only normal set of labs I've had was in May while I was feeling so great. Consistently high MCH and RDW. High neutrophils, low lymphs with a normal WBC and RBC count. Platelets drop in and out of low with a consistently high MPV. Bilirubin's going up and down. Iron, Ferritin and B12 levels look excellent but my iron saturation's only 14%??? Folate was borderline low once and excellent the next draw.

A lot of the labs I had drawn 15yrs ago before I stopped going to the docs and the first set drawn when I returned to the scene, the hemoglobin was a little high. It's been normal ever since. Do I normally run high Hgb??? Thalessemia doesn't fit although the gp did mention the possibility of a hemoglobinopathy or possibly a problem with the bone marrow since all three cell lines seem to be affected. I prefer the hemoglobinopathy theory if you know what I mean. This welcome package that I received today really gives me the creeps. I'd much rather go see the hematologist.

Being pisces, don't we try and keep an optimistic view of things?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Asscen,

Howdy, I had a terrible bout with Shingles about 4 years back.....I had a severe case........I recommend Olive Leaf extract capsules..or liquid........3 caps a day until outbreak is gone and then one cap daily for a while.......natural anitviral.........It is cheap and great stuff. Glad to hear from you

********.......I had PCOD or PCOS.......At my age now they call it Insulin resistance or Metabolic syndrome.......low blood sugar and high insulin......I am being treated finally after many many years of this with Janumet and Magnesium. Plus my thyroid meds help.....and a low glycemic diet......
    Any time you want to discuss it let me know.

Oleander

Old 09-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Awh, oleander! So good to hear from you. I got me a quart of moonshine stashed away and my buddy's got him a blue mule I can borry. How's bout we have that party we was always on about???

I'm going to consider myself very lucky on the shingles so far. I'm not real fond of acyclovir but I was able to start it within hours of the first small sign of the rash on my cheek. My face had been feeling funny for weeks and that little spot popped up exactly like it had before in the exact same place it had a couple years ago on the other side and I didn't have to dilly dally around for 4 days looking it up before I realized what it was. The pain kinda gave me a clue too. However, I've been taking Lyrica for about a year now for the neuropathy and the only time the pain is really bad is when it's getting on towards time to take another. For that hour or two, I've got my codeine. I'm not really having that bad a time of it this time around. I shall however try and get my hands on some of that olive leaf extract to keep on hand. You say antiviral? It do any good against colds and such?

Have you noticed how many women with pcos/metabolic syndrome are hypo too? I keep running across it everywhere I go. I wonder where the connection is??? Is it the weight gain associated with the hypo. They say it has something to do with the way the fat molecules interact with the glucose.

I came back with low insulin. When the gp ordered it, he said it was most likely going to be high. C-Peptide is just barely in range. Nothing seems to make sense with this sugar nonsense. I am far from your classic diabetic. Little skinny ole me who's always been active and had a very healthy, balanced diet developing sugar problems??? Only thing I can come up with is the slight hyperglycemia that accompanies the hyper can wear out the pancreas over a long period of time. Thing is I'm not being treated yet and I'm starting to get terribly frustrated. I'm kinda flying blind on this. Trial and error. A high fat/low carb diet works best but it's still not working good. Meter says 7+, a1c runs around 6 - 6.2. You look at my blood work and I seem to be turning over rbc's a little too fast so how can the a1c be right? How much of the feeling bad all the time is cause of the sugar??? The gp wants to hold off the insulin saying it might make me feel worse. This next appt I'm going to ask what if it makes me feel better?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have a cool Endo who listened to me real close when he was evaluating my nodules/ goiter and falling labs.......he did a 2 hour PP glucose and Insulin on me......My blood sugars were good but 1st insulin was normal but 2 hour sky high...I have had several insulins drawn and they were always normal but he did 3 insulin tests...on pre drink one a 1 hour and 1 at 2 hour.......my 2 hour was about 5 times higher than normal.......so I am now on Janumet twice a day and I was soooo resistant to taking it. But I have to admit I feel 100% better.....losing weight...30 pounds now total.....not napping during day, not craving carbs and sweets as much.....can eat more normal and not gain. Also my triglycerides and cholesterol are normal for the first time in 20 years...I think it is the Janumet and the proper thyroid meds...I am on thyrolar 2 and Cytomel now. I have probably had this for years......So I am getting straightened around.

We all have so many worries and stress.........all of this gets to us. I am so grateful for this board........Oleander

Grateful to all my friends and advisors on here.....

Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I actually ran into a semi-cool endo too. I guess they do exist. Problem is I can't afford him. He's out of network and his group doesn't accept tricare (no exceptions) and then you have to sign something that waives the federal rules about the fee cap and then when I did see him, I was going thru a euthyroid period where the labs were normal and there wasn't much in the way of symptoms. He said he'd believe it when he saw it with his own eyes. Better than nothing and enough that the gp was willing to go ahead and start treating. One day when I'm rich, I may go down there again just so I can stick my tongue out at him and tell him I told you so. He'd laugh. He was nice.

Everyone I've talked to has said how much better they've felt after they started treatment. I can't understand why the gp is so reluctant to try. But then again he's not the one having to live with it. He gets to see it maybe 15 minutes every month or so. I somehow managed to end up with two appts two days apart next month. I guess I made one quite a while back and didn't realize it til I got home. I've decided to keep em both and needle him about the fact that we never have enough time to get anything done. I get so tired of this constant waiting for the next appt to see what will happen. Nothing happens. It's always the same old crap and I'm tired of it.

It's great to hear that you're doing better. This board often gives me hope and encouragement. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey Helen!
    Can I go to the party too, sounds fun! Yes we pisces seem to be more optimistic, but boy don't we get some weird ailments! When I had a shot of cortazone in my neck about a week or 2 later I broke out in a rash on my legs, it was somewhat itchy but I didn't know at the time it was that,also got some bad leg cramps. It seems the shot might lower potassium levels and can cause leg cramps. The endo thought I was hypo and rushed labs but they were fine.I have since dumped the endo(my levels have been euthyroid for over a year and he suggested RAI.. now?) I have let my primary take over and he sees no problem keeping me on the 5mgs 5 times a week as long as the liver and blood counts are okay. He has a a few on long term antithyroid meds and they are fine.
    I have a new grandson, that makes 3 now, all boys! Two from one daughter and one from the other,ages 4 years,8 months and 2 months. They are so cute and keep me going! My Mom is still with me and will be 85 come February.She seems to be good except for the osteo athritis. She's had cat scans and cystoscopies and x rays and blood tests and I think her labs are better than mine! She has no Thalessemia or Graves or hypo...beats me!!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-27-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Of course you can come to the party. The whole gangs invited. We's going to have one big ho-down. Moonshine, bonfires, fiddles, pickin's, the works!!!

I really enjoy being an optimist. It drives people nuts. But yesterday, I gotta admit, when I opened that beautiful folder and the first thing you see in great big bold letters is "dealing with cancer is tough", the optimism kinda falters a little. The head starts playing games with you and you think what if??? Then you gotta pull yourself together and get mad at the nurses again for being so stupid to take your mind off things.

I'm staying away from that cortisone from now on. You don't by any chance have a touch of psoriasis, do you? It can cause that to flare. I noticed the leg cramps too and the sugar didn't like it at all. The gp had fun pointing that out after teasing me about shooting me full of some more to "cure" my hands again.

I think a lot of times the primary's have a lot more common sense than the specialists. The specialists just focus on their one particular area of expertise and fail to see the rest of you. If you're doing good, why not let it be? You've done great on that stuff. What does he wanna mess with it for? Why don't they ever have any imagination? Don't you sometimes just wanna throw up your hands and say why even bother?

Hey, congrats! That must be kinda neat seeing the next generation come to be. I sometimes miss that but my stepson and his daughter (she's 8) are coming down for a visit end of next month. It's been a long time since we've seen him and I've never met his girl. I'm kinda looking forward to it. At least I can pretend to be a grandma for a couple days.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes , my doc is a D.O and more open minded.I've been seeing him for at least 25 years. we kind of "grew up" together as he is my age.No, as far as I know I never had psoriisis,it was kind of a hivey type rash, but not big hives. It went and the leg cramps never came back. I take cal/mag every nite so I couldn't figure it out.What was wrong with your hands? The shot did help my neck and even my carpal tunnel it seemed,like it traveled down my arm!! Anyway the carpal tunnel has come back, I wear a brace at night but didn't need one then for about 4 months, it was weird! I think the thyroid levels have a lot to do with joint pain too, if mine are low I feel it in the joints, but not energy levels. So do you feel less hyper now? Or is the spring time the only relief you had?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
    accessn12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've only been seeing my gp for 2yrs. We still are getting to know each other. He's taken on the care of my folks now too. The guy makes housecalls to see my mom since her stroke. She could go in but he likes the view from their house so he goes out there. He does that for a lot of his elderly patients.

I've had pustular psoriasis on my hands and feet for years. Just kinda minor but with the diabetes, the gp thought it would be good to clear up my feet. Referred me to a dermie. The dermine had his head stuck up his arse and wouldn't listen to either me or the resident who took the history and flippantly declared that I had dishydrosis even though it didn't itch and wasn't exactly in the right place and talked me into "just a little" cortisone shot. I finally gave in and let him. Three weeks later he declared me cured. Five weeks later, the psoriasis flared like crazy. I had these huge, painful pustules totally covering my palms and soles. Couldn't use the hands for 2 mos while the gp helped me get it under control. He was furious although he wasn't quite as angry as I am.

The thyroid levels do have a lot to do with it. I ended up with carpal and wore a brace for a while too while they were bouncing me around. Haven't had a problem with it in a long time though.

I've lost the buzz. You know the one I'm talking about? I started the cytomel end of Feburary and haven't felt it since March. The thyroid feels really stable. No bouncy bouncy. Anyone can come up behind me now and say boo. Normal reaction. It's great. But the weakness now is beyond belief. I was back out building rock walls, hauling dirt and all kinds of hard, physical labor this spring and feeling and looking marvelous and then like all of a sudden it all went to hell. The first time it really hit me was one day when I went to saddle the horse. I'd been doing it for months and then I couldn't. I all but collapsed when I lifted the saddle. It was like all my muscles gave out on me and all I could do was quiver. It's happening every time I need strength but what's weird is my stamina doesn't seem to be affected. I can walk forever. As long as I don't have to lift it, pull it or push it, I'm ok. I don't like it a bit.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
    GravesGirl73
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Helen,
    Boy that sounds like me! Like no muscle strength! If I have to lift or push or pull it'll hurt like crazy after too.I could walk forever too...how weird. I was NEVER very strong but it seems IF I do anything really physical it seems to bother me. At work, I'm okay(clean houses) and leave the lifting to the younger and stronger ones! I also know what you mean about the jumpiness being gone, I would almost jump out of my skin too, it's like the reflexes are slower.Why do you suppose this happens? I've been on a few message boards and a lot say they have muscle pain, weakness, strain something easily or just have bad joint pain. Was it your thyroid levels at the time, when it was good?

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 09-27-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Closed Thread