It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Daily headache after RAI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User
    Daily headache after RAI

I've been back on meds for almost a week after having a TSH of 58 and RAI. I'm on 175mcg of Levoxyl and 25mcg (2 times) of Cytomel. For the last 4-5 days I wake up with a headache that eventually goes away around mid morning, but then returns again later in the evening. Is it possible that I'm taking too much Cytomel? Or not enough? It feels almost like a stiff neck! Anybody else experience this?

Good news - I had my full body scan and everything looked good. The only place that lit up was the area where my thyroid used to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Daily headache after RAI

Have you tried advil or tylenol? Does it help?

Your dose of cytomel is kind of small, and it's going to take about 2 weeks for the synthroid to build to decent levels in your system. It's probably from being still hypo......and your hormones have been down, now going back up, that's a lot of change.

and depending upon your size, your dose is probably going to be too small anyway, because you will have to get your tsh to below 1.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

Neither Advil or Tylenol help. I called my Endo and she want's me to stop the Cytomel over the weekend to see if that helps. As far as size goes, I'm 6'5" 235. I hate this treatment by trial and error!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
    DR37
    Veteran
    (female)

DR37 HB User

First of all, hooray for your cancer not spreading!! Yeah!!!

Secondly, I had daily headaches for most of my hypo time and about 2 weeks after RAI. They weren't terrible, and I figured it was just my body getting used to the meds/recovering from radiation. They weren't terrible, nothing an Advil, lots of water and a nap couldn't cure. I was put on Synthroid, never took Cytomel. Anyway, I hope that gets under control for you.

Finally, like Reece said, your TSH needs to slowly plummet all the way to below 1. My TSH is only 1.03 but my oncologist is not OK with that. He wants it below .5 to encourage cancer not to grow back. Has your Dr. talked with you about this?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

My Dr. gave me a standing order for lab work (TSH, FT3, and FT4), and the lab is right here at my office, so I think I will go have lab work done and get an idea where I'm at.

My TSH was at 58 but it was almost a week later before I started back on my meds so I'm sure it was quite a bit higher. I don't feel fatigued any more, just the headaches.

Now I'm confused if I should stop the Cytomel or continue!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You will probably find your TSH is still too high---with or without the cytomel, and that's probably causing the headache.

At your height and weight, I'm guessing, to be suppressed, you will be in the 225mcg for synthroid or even higher.

However, if you're still having pain, since the cytomel leaves your body real quick, it doesn't hurt to stop it for a day or so to see if the headache goes away.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
    nail lady
    (female)

nail lady HB User

i had headaches with the cytomel and im on a low dose 5mcg. but it went away after a week then the brain fog weird as it may sound lifted i could see clear it was nice to have that feeling back.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
    love2fish
    (male)

love2fish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    You will probably find your TSH is still too high---with or without the cytomel, and that's probably causing the headache.

At your height and weight, I'm guessing, to be suppressed, you will be in the 225mcg for synthroid or even higher.

However, if you're still having pain, since the cytomel leaves your body real quick, it doesn't hurt to stop it for a day or so to see if the headache goes away.
    Just got my blood work after 1 week on meds.

TSH 3.9
    FT4 0.64 (0.6-1.6) = 4% of range
    FT3 139 (85-205) = 45% of range
    Thyroglobulin = 7.9 ?????

My Dr's assistant called and said this was fine and to re-check in 4 weeks!!!
    My FT4 is real low! And my TSH should be much lower!
    My question is, since it's only been a week, will my FT4 come up over time?
    I will be off the Cytomel this Friday, so I'm assuming my FT3 will drop!

Still having headaches

Closed Thread