It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Just Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Post Just Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

Hi Everyone,

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday. My kidney doctor is the one who diagnosed me and has referred me to an endocrinologist and told me to see my primary ASAP. He also wrote me a script for Levothroid 25mg. He did indeed scare me as he told me that I have a critically low thyroid and that it is enlarged. He called my primary doctors office right in front of me and left a message at office. I wanted to know other people’s opinion’s of my labs and also if anyone thinks that they are very low as this is all new to me and I have a lot of learning to do about thyroids. Here is my thyroid panel with reference interval. I am not sure if all these tests are of thyroid.

TEST....................REFERENCE INTERVAL............MY RESULTS
    Thyroxine (T4) ..................4.5 -12.0...........................1.9
    T3 Uptake..........................24 -39...............................35
    Free Thyroxine Index ...........1.2 -4.9.............................0.7
    Complement C3, Serum..........90 -180.............................84
    Complement C4, Serum...........9 - 36..............................12
    Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy...........32.0 –100.0.......................27.5
    TSH....................................0.35 0 – 5.500....................137.345

I thank you all in advance for any help that you can give me. Have a great weekend.

(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
    Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
    FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome

~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
    Disc Osteophyte Complex
    Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
    Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 September 2005
    Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws
    Successful Surgery

Removal of Gallbladder December 2005
    Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders, Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS, Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence, Leukocytosis, Proteinuria,Polyneuropathy, Restless Leg Syndrome(RLS), Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet, Bilateral Carpal Tunnel, Medial Epicondylitis (left golfers elbow), Hypothyroidism

Last edited by MarianJ; 09-27-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Just Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

You have critically low thyroid. This might be the first time I've ever agreed so whole-heartedly with an endocrinologist about anything. LOL

About your TSH over 135... A normal, healthy average TSH in someone without thyroid disease is 1 or 2. And your T4 well below the normal range seals the deal... That's "critically hypothyroid". "Critical" in this case certainly doesn't mean fatal or anything. It's definitely fixable, but will take time. I'm frankly surprised the endo is sending you back to your primary before your levels improve. The dose of 25 mcgs is quite low; don't allow it to remain so for more than a few weeks before you insist on an increase. Your thyroid gland has apparently completely failed and cannot make hormone on its own anymore. You will need to rely on an adequate dose of levoT or other thyroid med for your body's needs from now on.

My lord... How do you feel? Must be like death warmed over.

BTW, the thyroid tests you had aren't the most revealing ever invented. From now on, you ideally want an MD who will watch not only TSH, but also your free levels of bothT4 and T3... Not the "total" levels.

Get yourself a copy of Thyroid for Dummies so you can learn the basics of thyroid function/dysfunction. It will make you a more informed patient who will know how to advocate for herself, which will ensure that you get the best treatment. You will also learn a lot by reading our "Information Archive" sticky thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by midwest1; 09-27-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Welcome to the board.......Oleander

Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the welcome and information that I received from you all. The below paragraph would only happen to me…here it goes:
    I just went to my appointment with my primary doctor today. I gave him the copies of my lab results that showed that I had hypothyroidism. As he reviewed them he realized that the name on the second page was not my name, so therefore I do not have hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, the other patient does. But I also took a medication that I did not need for the last 4 days. My doctor told me to stop the med, and gave me lab work to have done after 1 week of being off the medicine. I did call the doctor that told me these were my lab results and diagnosed me and put me on medication that I indeed did not need. His office was very apologetic and I was told that the other patient already knew her test results and was on treatment. Sorry to have bothered you all with my post. Have a great week…..
    Sincerely,
    Jeanne

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh my word! First time I've seen this happen in my time on the board.

Well... I'm glad for you that the diagnosis was a false one. (No doubt the other lady feels pretty bad... Maybe we'll see her here soon. )

In case you might be nervous about what the four days' worth of medication did... It probably did nothing much in that short time. But I'm very glad the mistake was caught now instead of 6 weeks from now!

Closed Thread